Running (Beginnner need advice)

Options
I've never really been into running, but have recently started getting into. If anyone has any tips for a beginner please share!
I am about to start training for my very first 5K, and could use some advice. i.e. nutrition, running shoes, etc...
Thanks in advance!

Replies

• Stormyyy
    Stormyyy Posts: 247 Member
    Options
    Bump for some replies :)
  • MissingMinnesota
    MissingMinnesota Posts: 7,486 Member
    Options
    Do a search on couch to 5k (c25k). It is a great 5k training program alot of people here use it.
  • jessmoore_84
    Options
    Do a search on couch to 5k (c25k). It is a great 5k training program alot of people here use it.

great, thanks!!
  • jessmoore_84
    Options
    Bump for some replies :)

Thank you!
  • jessmoore_84
    Options
    BUMP
  • srp2011
    srp2011 Posts: 1,829 Member
    Options
    Go to a running store and get fitted for good shoes - this is really critical to remaining injury free. At a running store, they should have you walk/run a little bit (in the store or on a treadmill) so they can see the way your foot strikes and then they can recommend the right type of shoe (stability, regular, etc..). Running shoes may be a bit more expensive, but they are really worth the investment.

Also, work on endurance first, not speed - a lot of people get discouraged because they try to run at top speed and can't go very far - the slower you go, the farther you can run, so work on that first, and once you can run the target distance and longer, then start incorporating some speedwork. Escalating run/walk intervals are the best way to accomplish this.

As someone else recommended, look into the c25k training program/schedule if you want to go it alone, or see if there is a class through the running store or a local runners group, where they group you by ability levels - I started (and continue) with classes and find it really fun and motivational to run with other people at a similar level, with a coach, but to each their own. The important thing is to have fun - good luck!
  • jessmoore_84
    Options
    Great advice, thanks!
  • secretlobster
    secretlobster Posts: 3,566 Member
    Options
    I got scared, I read c25k as "couch to 25k"
  • Airbear3
    Airbear3 Posts: 335 Member
    Options
    take your time..its not a race! i started by walking quickly for a week and then took it up a notch! JOGGING not running, find a good pace that you can maintain. i walked the cross walks, that was my goal get down the first street and i could walk the cross walk...eventually overtime i stopped needing to walk the crosswalks! good luck remember slow and steady!
  • lacroyx
    lacroyx Posts: 5,754 Member
    Options
    I always go outside to run and I mix it up. I like going to different routes and trails. I especially like hills. It's a good way to build up endurance too. variation is a good way to keep things interesting and keep from boredom setting in.
  • Cupcake888
    Options
    I had never really been much of a runner and I did the C25K last summer and it was great! I kept to the pace they set and even though it seemed slow at first it was perfect by the end. I would totally recommend it.

As for shoes I wear New Balance for walking so I got a pair of their running shoes and really like them

Good luck!
  • jessmoore_84
    Options
    Thanks everyone!
  • MamaKeeks
    MamaKeeks Posts: 234
    Options
    Sounds obvious, but BREATHE!
    Sometimes we're so concentrated on running, our form and our footings, we forget to relax and breathe. Running tense sucks. If you can relax and breathe and run comfortably (regardless of speed!), you will enjoy your run much more, and be more likely to stick with it.
    I used to think runners were nuts. Why would you do that? Now, I run as often as I can because it is relaxing, and it is hands down the cheapest and easiest therapy available!!!
    Relax, breathe deeply, and enjoy yourself!

PS - oh yes, and get fitted for good shoes - they are the most important piece of equipment you'll need!