does some alcohol hurt your diet

Options
giag09
giag09 Posts: 203 Member
i could really go for vodka and diet sprite but i am afraid it will make me gain weight anyone still losing weight having a few cocktails

Replies

• ldalbello
    ldalbello Posts: 207 Member
    Options
    Sure hope not because the first thing I am doing once I get home from work today is make myself a rum and coke !!!
  • gomisskellygo
    gomisskellygo Posts: 635 Member
    Options
    Sure hope not because the first thing I am doing once I get home from work today is make myself a rum and coke !!!

Ditto!! I even planned extra exercise for to make up for tomorrow night!!
  • bushidowoman
    bushidowoman Posts: 1,599 Member
    Options
    If you can have it in moderation, budget the calories for it, and go ahead.
    I enjoy wine in moderation. :smile:
  • melsinct
    melsinct Posts: 3,512 Member
    Options
    If you can have it in moderation, budget the calories for it, and go ahead.
    I enjoy wine in moderation. :smile:

Same here, and sometimes in excess of moderation!
  • fieldsy4life
    Options
    Alcohol *can* affect your body's ability to recover AFTER a workout, so don't hit the bar straight from the gym.

It also does affect fat storage (especially in women), so take that into consideration.

With that said, I don't think 1 Vodka and Diet will hurt you. I've been limiting alcohol to strictly on weekends and I think that his helped my gains. I was a half-bottle of wine per night person before, so that was a change for me!
  • BAMFMeredith
    BAMFMeredith Posts: 2,829 Member
    Options
    I drink regularly and it hasn't negatively affected my weight loss whatsoever. I have a few glasses of red wine throughout the week, sometimes a few beers or mixed drinks on the weekends. Tuesday night we had a huge work party and I had QUITE a few beers (I work for a beer distributor...our parties are exactly how you think they would be). As long as they fit in your calorie budget and you stay on track 90% of the time, a couple cocktails isn't going to hurt you :)
  • dbanks80
    dbanks80 Posts: 3,685 Member
    Options
    I've decided to stop for the rest of this month. It seems when i get started i can't stop. Wish me luck!
  • amandamickey
    Options
    Alcohol *can* affect your body's ability to recover AFTER a workout, so don't hit the bar straight from the gym....

and don't go to the bar IN the gym (no joke, my gym has a bar and cafe in it)! :drinker:
  • seebeachrun
    seebeachrun Posts: 221 Member
    Options
    If you don't plan to stop drinking until the day you die I suggest figuring out how to do so in moderation. Obviously no binging but I try to limit my intake to 2-3 days per week and I have severely limited the amount that I used to drink. At one time I put away a bottle of wine at a single setting. Now I can enjoy 1-2 glasses.

It's also about what you choose to drink. Adding high calorie mixers to vodka will tank your calories faster than a glass of white wine.
  • krissypea79
    krissypea79 Posts: 362 Member
    Options
    I went out the other night and had 4 glasses of wine...although, I did plan ahead and make sure I had the calories saved so I still came in at my daily goal...but, I was down 2lbs the next day.
  • mslack01
    mslack01 Posts: 823 Member
    Options
    Alcohol *can* affect your body's ability to recover AFTER a workout, so don't hit the bar straight from the gym....

and don't go to the bar IN the gym (no joke, my gym has a bar and cafe in it)! :drinker:

I wanna go to YOUR gym. LOL
  • Heaven71
    Heaven71 Posts: 706 Member
    Options
    i could really go for vodka and diet sprite but i am afraid it will make me gain weight anyone still losing weight having a few cocktails

Just add the calories to your diary and drink up! If I want drinks, I have to burn the calories.
  • deadbeatsummer
    deadbeatsummer Posts: 537 Member
    Options
    I am dedicated to my weight loss, but I will not give up my social life - I'm 22 and go out regualrly - clubbing probably every other week and therefore drinking on those nights once a week - i always make it up with exercise.
    that's the only thing i wont give up - i wouldnt get to see my friends if i stopped partying and its my favourite way to let off some steam and put on a nice outfit and have a dance.
  • aquasw16
    aquasw16 Posts: 342 Member
    Options
    Well it isn't the best but it isn't the worst. If you are going to drink, i would go with what you are gonna drink!
  • Zarebeth
    Zarebeth Posts: 136 Member
    Options
    I work for an alcohol distributor, and I have a beer or glass of wine EVERY day. I need something to give up when I stall, after all! But I am still losing... the trick is to be honest about the calories and make sure that you count them. And be aware! If your body is burning alcohol it won't burn fat.

That said, it is better to have one per day than none during the week and binging on the weekend.
  • ambrosia8
    ambrosia8 Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    Thats my favorite drink...vanilla vodka with diet sprite and a cherry!! i just count the alcohol in my daily logging! enjoy!!
  • thinmintme
    thinmintme Posts: 63 Member
    Options
    If you don't plan on giving it up, you CAN drink and lose weight. Just like with other so called 'evil' foods, (chocolate, pizza, etc) moderation is key. Calories add up fast with alcohol so you'll most likely have to factor in exercise to make sure you've the available calories. And as long as you're not binge drinking, it shouldn't be too outrageous.
    Personally, I love chocolate, lol. And I'm still able to eat chocolate, in allotted serving sizes, every single day which makes me happy. I know I'd end up binging on it later on if I restrict it. As long as I exercise daily, I can have pretty much anything I want to eat so long as I make sure it's a reasonable amount. :p
  • spectralmoon
    spectralmoon Posts: 1,230 Member
    Options

I wanna go to YOUR gym. LOL

Shoot, make it a party! :drinker:
  • Im_NotPerfect
    Im_NotPerfect Posts: 2,181 Member
    Options
    Lord I hope not. I'm laid up with a bad back right now, so alcohol is sounding pretty darn good right now!
  • feistyhorsegal
    feistyhorsegal Posts: 109 Member
    Options
    haven't read other replies, but no, I don't think so. Everything in moderation. I allow myself a couple of glasses of wine a couple of nights a week. And vodka and diet sprite would be lower calories than wine.