FAT, SICK, and Nearly Dead!

Options
Hey guys, so I watched this documentary called Fat, Sick, and Nearly Dead on Netflix. It has been super amazing!!!! It has defintaly changed my life and the way I eat, I recommend you watch it. I am on a 60 day reboot and I started March 1st and by March 6th I was down 10lbs.

Basically, you are juicing fresh fruits and vegtables. I brought a breville juicer and all the recipies are amazing that I have been trying!!!! check it out!

Replies

• clickmaster
    clickmaster Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    Be careful about where you get your information. Juicing is a terrible way to try to lose fat.

Once you get into juicing, you'll probably realize it was a bad idea. It takes a lot of time, you throw away much of what you're paying for as well as much of your nutrition, and you may suffer GI problems more often, especially if you juice veggies, not to mention that juicing is not a healthful as you think. In general, juicing on a daily basis is a bad idea. My juicer is sitting in a cupboard somewhere gathering dust. If you wan to drink healthy, drink water.

The problem with juicing is the process eliminates much of the fiber and some of the nutrition available in the fruits and vegetables. However, it passes on the sugars and calories in concentrated form. The result is you miss the normal digestive processes and the satisfaction that goes with it so you'll be hungry sooner. What you throw away when you clean your juicer is part of your food and that's not only part of what you're paying for, it's part of what your body needs.

Also, when you drink your juice it goes much faster because there is no mastication involved. That makes it easy to dump the sugars into your stomach before your blood glucose increases and suppresses your appetite. So, you can drink the juice and get all the fructose of ten oranges in half the time it takes you to eat one orange making eating rather than drinking the obvious best choice for dieters and the best way to get all nutrition the fruits and veggies have to offer.

Also, if the fruit or vegetable contains a systemic bacteria such as e.coli (which caused an epidemic among spinach eaters in the US a few years ago), you'll get much more of the bacteria by juicing. The same applies to contaminants such as pesticides which are sometimes spilled in the fields and end up in the food in trace amounts. Juicing not only concentrates the good substances, but the bad ones as well.

Time is another problem with juicing. If you can save one minute per day at the end of a year you'll have six hours to spend doing what you want. That's dinner and a movie. When you find out how much time is takes to prep the shop for fruits and veggies, prep them, juice them, and clean up after, if you juice daily you're going to spend about one whole week of 24 hours days (168 hours of your life) doing nothing but making juice each year.

Eating food is a natural process. Extracting juice and drinking it, it not a natural process. Generally, the natural way is better because we have evolved using it.

Good luck and good health!!

• UponThisRock
    UponThisRock Posts: 4,522 Member
    Options
    5f600f89_Not-sure-if-serious.jpeg
  • Sl1ghtly
    Sl1ghtly Posts: 855 Member
    Options
    It gave me diarrhea, and a bizzare urge to purchase a Marky Mark CD.
  • Hopelessbird
    Options
    I notice that I tend to feel satiated (not full or hungry) when I eat my food slowly. Like eating an apple satisfy my hunger more than apple juice. I need to chomp on my food.
  • littlelily613
    littlelily613 Posts: 769 Member
    Options
    I was so excited when we bought our juicer--until I realized that so much fruit/veg produces so little juice. Not to mention, I am not overly fond of cleaning, and all that pulp is a nightmare for me to clean out. I also cannot keep myself on a diet that has me not eating....for ME, that is definitely the way to fail and go back to my junk food addiction. I definitely have to eat real food. Not to mention I simply enjoy a piece of fruit over a glass of juice anyday.
  • anoosh34
    anoosh34 Posts: 2
    Options
    I agree with every one juicing is a terrible way the faster U r loosing wt the faster U r going to gain it back once U r started to eat food make healthy choices and eat fresh fruits and veggies I recommend U should read Tosca Renos 'eat clean diet" it is just simply amazing! Good luck
  • Zichu
    Zichu Posts: 542 Member
    Options
    I think juices are only good for maybe detoxifying your body for a few days, but not good for a diet. your body needs to break down the food and absorb the nutrients to get the full effect, to put it loosely.

I've never used a juicer and never had juiced fruits or veggies. I've had smoothies and used to have one every morning before school.

I prefer to eat everything individually and taste everything.
  • Captain_Tightpants
    Captain_Tightpants Posts: 2,215 Member
    Options
    I enjoyed the documentary but it totally put me off the idea of ever doing a juice fast. The guy lost a lot of weight sure, but by the end of the documentary he was the absolute definition of 'skinny fat'. He looked a whole lot sicker and closer to dead after the juice fast to me.
  • becoming_a_new_me
    becoming_a_new_me Posts: 1,860 Member
    Options
    I use natural juice supplement powders (cheaper and cleaner than juicing), but I do so for the nutritional benefits, not for weight loss. Most people don't get enough veggies, and so I like to drink my blend a few times a week to make sure I have enough nutrition. That is the main point of juicing...for nutrition.