Is it bad if I am almost always over my protein for the day?

Options
vcatmb44
vcatmb44 Posts: 129 Member
i have been eating very healthy so far even tho im just recently starting back but i always seem to go over on my protein, that wont cause me to not lose weiht will it, bc i have worked out very hard the past wekk or so and ate well and havent even dropped a pound idnt get it.

Replies

• SisterSueGetsFit
    SisterSueGetsFit Posts: 1,211 Member
    Options
    I always go over on mine too... I'm going to have to pay attention to others answers. Thanks for bringing this up!
  • chrishgt4
    chrishgt4 Posts: 1,222 Member
    Options
    Not so much - general rule - calorie is a calorie is a calorie.

Reality - depending on what you do, you need different macros, but if you are keeping pretty close-ish, and your calorific intake is right, you should be ok.
  • psiren28
    psiren28 Posts: 530 Member
    Options
    Same here, I'm almost always over. I think it's set really low because I don't do a high protein diet or anything. I'm sure you'll be fine, I am.
  • jenniet04
    jenniet04 Posts: 1,054 Member
    Options
    I'm going to go with no. MFP levels are set really low. I generally try to get a minimum of 100 grams a day of protein, although I just started lifting to getting closer to 150 grams now.
  • jasonr1442
    jasonr1442 Posts: 67 Member
    Options
    Your protein will help your muscle grow which in turn will help to burn fat. I try to go over on my protein while staying under my calories. As long as you are working out. People trying to get big muscles go for a gram of protein per pound. That's a whole bunch!
  • GalvestonDuck
    GalvestonDuck Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    90 grams, spread out over the course of the day (about 30 grams per meal) is good. Anything more is just extra calories.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BWeVLNBK344

From research at the University of Texas Medical Branch
  • SalishSea
    SalishSea Posts: 373 Member
    Options
    I just went to my weight loss support doctor. She reinforced that protein is the most important food type for weight loss. It keeps your blood sugar from peaks and lows, it helps to maintain muscle. And your body does not want to stow away protein in the same way it wants to pack away carbs for use later. Like when we have to run away from that Woolly Mammoth!

I have a hard time getting enough protein in. Unless I take supplemental protein I am always below my goal. I just got some protein gel. It has 15 grams of protein and 70 calories. It looks gross. But I hear it is good in low fat, unsweetened Greek yogurt. Hope so.
  • fitrider86
    fitrider86 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    its not a bad thing as long as your not going way over. Protiens are the building blocks for muscle, you may not be losing pounds but you still should be losing fat. always remember muscle ways more than fat with a highier protien intake you are building more muslce which will make your weight the same but your fat should still decrease as long as your working hard and your calories are on target. If you have a trainer talk to them about getting a body fat test it will help you determine what your body is doing.
  • TitanGM
    TitanGM Posts: 1,161 Member
    Options
    Weight loss is as simple as much as difficult you make it. Explain..
    If you want to loose weight you have to find how much is your daily calorie amount and always eat less than the limits of your cals. So, for example, if your daily calorie intake is 1600, in order to loose weight you have to eat less than that. Let say 1500. Unless you do this, you won't see any changes. If you do exercises be careful to add some more calories into your daily intake since exercising requires extra calories. So, to sum it up:

Weight loss = Daily intake - what you eat

if

Daily intake = 1600
    What you eat = 1500

Weight loss = 100cal

Based on this 100 cal loss = 1 pound in 10 days, 10lbs in 100 days, 36lbs in a year. VOILA :)
  • Matt_Wild
    Matt_Wild Posts: 2,673 Member
    Options
    Assuming you hit your calorie target, no. It'll make you hold no extra water weight. No probs having too much based on target.
  • SIRISH1983
    Options
    I always go over my protein. But tend to never reach my carbs. I started one month ago and am down 6 pounds, so I think its okay. We'll see as time goes on I guess.
  • EZGruv
    EZGruv Posts: 215 Member
    Options
    I'm going to say it won't matter too much...unless you have an underlying medical condition, such as kidney disease.

Those of us with kidney disease have to regulate many things, including protein. For example, I am allotted only 60 grams per day. Any more than that, and it will force the kidneys to work harder than they should in their present condition.

BTW, today is World Kidney Day. Be informed and get regular check-ups with your doctor!
  • maf66
    maf66 Posts: 211 Member
    Options
    my protein goal is 25-30g per meal and 10gper snack. Protein plus fiber keeps you fuller longer and has the added benefits of the fuels your body can easily use. I can (most days) reach 100g protein, 25-30g fiber and stay under my calories. I don't cook with much oils, dont use many condiments and don't eat processed foods. I'm losing weight, I'm losing inches and my body feels better. I have no cravings unless I've had a bad nights sleep or a stressful day. I don't do a lot of cardio or belong to a gym, but I do move, walk stretch and exercise. That last bit is just for reference...

I've lost 4 pounds in the last 2 weeks. i'm satisfied with that for now.

Also, you can adjust your settings to reflect your own personal goals!!
  • moochachip
    moochachip Posts: 237 Member
    Options
    I have actually heard that you should multiply your weight in kilograms by .8. What you get from that is how many grams of protein you should eat. My friend, who is earning her graduate degree in kinesiology told me when you eat over that, those extra grams just go down the drain.

Literally.

(I always end up overeating in protein anyways. Doesn't seem to effect me much.)
  • science_man_88
    Options
    i have been eating very healthy so far even tho im just recently starting back but i always seem to go over on my protein, that wont cause me to not lose weiht will it, bc i have worked out very hard the past wekk or so and ate well and havent even dropped a pound idnt get it.

if you're in a relapse of a condition like Nephrotic syndrome it may help replace the protein in the protienuria spilling.Or at least that's what I hope since I grew up with the condition.
  • christibam
    christibam Posts: 478 Member
    Options
    My sister in law is a body builder and personal trainer... According to her, only stupid amounts of protein is too much for most people. (Like 200+)

However, if you have diabetes, it can be an issue.

From Web MD

"Because carbs affect blood sugar levels so quickly, if you have diabetes, you may be tempted to eat less of them and substitute more protein. But too much protein may lead to problems for people with diabetes.

The main problem is that many foods rich in protein, such as meat, may also be filled with saturated fat. Eating too much of these fats increases your risk of heart disease. In a diabetes diet, protein should account for about 15% to 20% of the total calories you eat each day."
  • science_man_88
    Options
    I'm going to say it won't matter too much...unless you have an underlying medical condition, such as kidney disease.

Those of us with kidney disease have to regulate many things, including protein. For example, I am allotted only 60 grams per day. Any more than that, and it will force the kidneys to work harder than they should in their present condition.

BTW, today is World Kidney Day. Be informed and get regular check-ups with your doctor!

hmm I wouldn't think that I grew up with a kidney condition , admittedly as I semi grew out of it I didn't watch much.
  • balfonso
    balfonso Posts: 370 Member
    Options

I've got a kidney problem /nephrotic syndrome but I go over my protein. Doc's not said anything as my kidney function is currently stable thanks to my change in diet and plenty of exercising.
  • Mcctin65
    Mcctin65 Posts: 507 Member
    Options
    I'm trying to get more protein in and I'm curious what everyone is eating that takes them over and where are your goals set?
  • science_man_88
    Options

I've got a kidney problem /nephrotic syndrome but I go over my protein. Doc's not said anything as my kidney function is currently stable thanks to my change in diet and plenty of exercising.

I grew up with NS I'm supposedly grow out of it and too old for my old nephrologist so in an emergency it's contact them but let another nephrologist deal with it I guess. I eat a lot of sodium unfortunately if you've seen the rest of my post you'll find a website about some of the biochemistry I learned about that gets involved in NS.