Joined a couple months ago..STRUGGLING!!

Options
Hi there, I joined a couple months ago and I am very bummed that I am not losing weight!

My brain gets in the way!!! I think way too much!!

I started my weight loss journey on January 4th by cutting All sugar, all grains, all dairy, etc out of my diet and i did that for 5-6 weeks. I liked it after I got the hang of it and detoxed from sugar. I lost 14 pounds from that but then I hit a bump and quit losing and now the past 4 weeks or so i have not lost anything!!! I also started adding "sugar" back in and grains and the first couple days of adding grains I lost a pound or so.

Here I am STUCK!!!

I am a little confused about how many calories I should be eating??!! ?

I weight 252 right now
am 5ft 11"
31 years old
mom of 5 littles 9 and under and really am in need of some ENERGY!!

I also have had sick kids for 3 weeks straight....they have been passing the stomach bug back and forth and they all had it at least 3 times each and one child threw up 6 different days! SOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO all that to say that since this hit our home...my sugar addiction kicked in more b/c I am exhausted, not getting sleep and exhausted. Oh wait I just said that:):):)

Praise the Lord that the last time someone threw up was on Wed 2 days ago and I pray that NO ONE else gets it.I have scrubbed my whole house with bleach:) Windows open every chance I get:)

So back to weight loss! I am so discouraged, I wanted to lose 8-10 pounds by end of February and I didn't do that, instead I gained a couple!! I could cry!! i am so frustrated!

Am I ever going to meet my goals? I am reading about doing a Smoothie fast b/c I love Green Smoothies, I am also thinking about going back on the antifungal diet to help me.

I really need some encouragement and I want RESULTS!!! I will do it. Please help me to know what to try.

My husband has lost 15 pounds just from me feeding him what I eat. :) and he keeps losing:) He is my hero but I am frustrated that my waist line is NOT shrinking!!

Does this mean i have to go back to no sugar, no dairy, no pork, etc?

Help!!

Thank YOU So MUCH!!
Blessings,
Shannon

I think my food diary is open to all, i will check.

Replies

• Stiang
    Stiang Posts: 82 Member
    Options
    It can be discouraging...especially when you compare your progress with a man's...different metabolism which brings different results.
    I had a dietician who DESPISED fad diets...she proved to me that watching calories and consistant workout can really make a difference (I lost 30 pounds when I did that 10 years ago)...but it takes time.
    Just don't get discouraged...it is a struggle and the amount of stress you have is going to make it that more difficult, but it is survivable and it can be accomplished...just not at the pace you would like it.

Add me if you want - our lives are different (40+, no kids, no husband) but if you need a keyboard to talk to...
  • mygrl4meee
    mygrl4meee Posts: 943 Member
    Options
    I read somewhere that dairy aids in weight loss and I been forcing myself to like yogurt. Also read that vitamin c can aid in it too. I am still pretty new to mfp but so far I have seen progress. I know how sickness can throw everyone off. Good luck.
  • TWrecks1968
    TWrecks1968 Posts: 138 Member
    Options
    Could be that you are, one, not eating enough (I know, it's a weird mindset), or your body is just getting used to the changes. Add me as a friend, if you would like, 40+, five kids, married for 20 years. Keep your chin up. It will happen.
  • nikkit321
    nikkit321 Posts: 1,485 Member
    Options
    I took a peek at your food diary the last few days, and I think you need to dramatically increase your protein and reduce your carbs. Try to eat "clean" and unprocessed foods.

Stress can definitely play havoc with your system though, and with taking care of your sick littles, I'm sure you haven't had a chance to exercise at all. I'd give yourself a break and just try to tighten up the food choices.

Feel free to add me if you'd like, always happy to support a fellow Christian.
  • danasings
    danasings Posts: 8,218 Member
    Options
    It can be discouraging...especially when you compare your progress with a man's...different metabolism which brings different results.
    I had a dietician who DESPISED fad diets...she proved to me that watching calories and consistant workout can really make a difference (I lost 30 pounds when I did that 10 years ago)...but it takes time.
    Just don't get discouraged...it is a struggle and the amount of stress you have is going to make it that more difficult, but it is survivable and it can be accomplished...just not at the pace you would like it.

Add me if you want - our lives are different (40+, no kids, no husband) but if you need a keyboard to talk to...

^^^ This is true!

I'm a SAHM of two little boys in diapers, so I know EXACTLY how it feels to be exhausted and craving sugar. Here's what I do...I count calories, and I exercise every chance I get. I set my minimum calories at 1200, and then I try to burn 400-600 cals/day. I try not to eat more than 1600/day on workout days, and on the rare day that I do nothing, I try not to exceed 1200 cals/day. I eat chocolate every day. I try to eat a variety of healthy foods, but some days I just don't. And I don't beat myself up about it. FFWD 10 weeks = 23 pounds lost. I still have 55 to goal to reach my goal, but hey...it's working. I'm not feeling deprived...I'm not chock full of energy constantly, but I'm not dragging my *kitten* as much as I used to be, either.

You can add me if you'd like! My diary is open to friends. :)
  • Bikini_Bound150
    Bikini_Bound150 Posts: 461 Member
    Options
    Change your diary to show you your sodium and sugar intake also. It will shock you how much sodium you're eating!
  • kathott
    kathott Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    Hi There....I know its a line that gets used often...but it will get better. Not to discourage you but I just ended the mother of all plateaus.
    I did really well the first 6 months and lost 25....i was walking more than ever and eating better than ever! Then I actually put a few of those Pounds back on - even though my sizes keep getting smaller. the old saying muscle weighs more than fat. Well, last week I lost 4 pounds...the first "Loss" since June 2011....I was thrilled. I think as our bodies get older - it becomes a little more difficult. Like I said, I am not trying to discourage you - but sometimes you just need to realize that sometimes it takes longer for good things to happen.
    You are you...you are not your husband (Believe me, I know its frustrating to see these guys of ours losing without even trying).
    Your body is unique and you must accept that - just keep trying different things. Not everybody reacts to the same process as the
    next one. One of my friends lost weight when she ate back her calories..i tried that but lost/gained nothing. Remember you are
    UNIQUE!
    Please feel free to add me as a friend... My success on this program was due to some great people putting their hands of friendship out to me last year when I wrote a note just like yours on the board.
    Good luck on your new life journey
    Kathleen
    PS...hope your kids feel better soon!
  • mes1119
    mes1119 Posts: 1,082 Member
    Options

I started my weight loss journey on January 4th by cutting All sugar, all grains, all dairy, etc out of my diet and i did that for 5-6 weeks. I liked it after I got the hang of it and detoxed from sugar. I lost 14 pounds from that but then I hit a bump and quit losing and now the past 4 weeks or so i have not lost anything!!! I also started adding "sugar" back in and grains and the first couple days of adding grains I lost a pound or so.

NEVER cut out a specific food group because you think it is "BAD." That is a recipe for failure if you ask me. Everything in moderation.
  • Ms_Lassie
    Ms_Lassie Posts: 24
    Options
    All I can say is wow!! You are amazing to even be finding the time to worry about your diet! But please don't despair as all these things take time and unfortunately there is always something cropping up to take the focus away from your goals. Sometimes you just need to let this happen for the time being (such as caring for sick kidlets) and know that when this hurdle is passed you can re-focus on the goals you want to achieve.

I'm no dietician so can only speak from my own experience and I found that mfp (and logging daily) was a great wake-up call to the portions I was feeding myself! I don't have any allergies or intolerances so have not needed to cut anything out nor did I really want to; too many good (or should that be naughty?!) foods I didn't want give up! For me it was moderation (being a 'mindful' eater) and getting that exercise in to negate any extra calories. I also needed to increase my cardio workouts, there was plenty of strength training but barely any cardio!

So maybe relax, enjoy, and try tweaking your food/calories/exercise around to get the right mix for you =)
  • shannon4health
    Options
    Wow, THANK YOU ALL SO MUCH!!!!! I am so blessed to have this opportunity to learn from your life journeys here on MFP!!! You all are an inspiration to me as I read every single post and looked at your weight loss ticker...You all are AMAZING!!!

Thanks for taking time out of your busy schedule to post on my thread. I was wondering if anyone would hear my cry for help to kick up my weight loss to the next notch.

There is a science to figuring out how our body responds to how many calories and whether we should eat our exercise calories etc. I personally feel much better after working out. I love to go to the gym but haven't had any time the past couple weeks to do more than 1 time a week there. I did workout here at home this afternoon and that was cool but the gym i like better b/c it is time for me to remind myself that i am taking care of me so I can take care of everyone else better too!

I am learning so much about myself in this journey.

I know some of you mention about eating in moderation and I have been 'trying that' however I know that when i eat any sugar it seems to spike more sugar cravings. When I went without any processed sugar I felt so much better (I did allow honey no more than 2 Tbsp) a day and that was awesome. I think part of my answer here is that I need to step back into antifungal diet...I discovered that gluten makes me sick! And I have always felt sick on milk and ice cream so do my kids. Chocolate however I feel FINE on:):):) ha ha LOL I guess it's time for me to get back to making "Black Bean Brownies and Almond Brownies' again:) they help curb the craving and i can eat only 1 or 2 and am satisfied and feel good on them: and the scales went down!

The anti-fungal diet is "clean eating" nothing processed etc. it is more work and it doubled our grocery bill b/c what I eat I feed the family:) organic/whole foods/ Brown rice flour products/almond butter $10 for small jar/almond milk etc!!

Thanks so much again. Thanks for the private messages too:) you guys ROCK!!!!!

Add me if you'd like!!!
    Blessings,
    Shannon:)