struggling with belly fat and keeping your curves

Options
2»

Replies

• LindsayLL30
    LindsayLL30 Posts: 154 Member
    Options
    "Body fat "curves" are genetic. Look at your mom and that's the shape you'll usually end with at her age. "

Man...that's probably the most depressing thing I've ever read on this forum. LOL! Genetics aren't everything!

You took the words right out of mouth!!!!!
  • Crazydaisy9
    Crazydaisy9 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Stick with your program and the belly fat will go over time. I started at 204 and i too still had belly fat at 160. Now I'm at 152 and my stomach is really flat all the time. I used to sit-ups constantly - all through my 20's and 30's and it helped but didn't make permanent changes. Since doing this program, I cut the sit-ups and added more walking. I still have curves but a lot less fat. Good luck to you!

18086827.png
  • JBsCrazyGirl
    Options
    "Body fat "curves" are genetic. Look at your mom and that's the shape you'll usually end with at her age. "

Man...that's probably the most depressing thing I've ever read on this forum. LOL! Genetics aren't everything!

yeah....me tooo.... I love my momma more than anything.... but.....yeah.... not going to happen :/
  • Juliebean_1027
    Juliebean_1027 Posts: 713 Member
    Options
    You mean I'm gonna gain 2 cup sizes? Excellent! :tongue:

Ha! Best news I've heard all day! I've been waiting for this to happen since I was 12 years old!
  • tiffanylacourse
    tiffanylacourse Posts: 2,985 Member
    Options
    I'm currently in my 160s my start weight was 190+ I lost 40lbs last year but ended up gaining back 10lbs. My main goal is to get to 130-140 with a flat stomach and to keep my curves ( I love being thick just not with a fat belly lol ) Any advice/comments? feel free to request me.
    Body fat "curves" are genetic. Look at your mom and that's the shape you'll usually end with at her age.

A.C.E. Certified Personal Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 28+ years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

That can't possibly be true. My mom is a 00 in jeans and weighs in under 100lbs. I seriously DOUBT I'll ever be that small, nor would I want to be. LOL
  • Cindym82
    Cindym82 Posts: 1,245 Member
    Options
    I'm currently in my 160s my start weight was 190+ I lost 40lbs last year but ended up gaining back 10lbs. My main goal is to get to 130-140 with a flat stomach and to keep my curves ( I love being thick just not with a fat belly lol ) Any advice/comments? feel free to request me.
    Body fat "curves" are genetic. Look at your mom and that's the shape you'll usually end with at her age.

IDEA Fitness member

YESSSSSS! that means I'll be a size 4 still have boobs and an @ss at age 54!!! You just made my day LOL :laugh:
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,669 Member
    Options
    While true, you can't change the way your structure is, your muscle insertions etc. You are able to change the size of muscle, but not the shape. Shape is genetically encoded in you.

IDEA Fitness member
  • ninerbuff
    Options
    Loads of sit ups and crunches generally do the trick - work to shorten those abs etc! You may not get a surf board flat stomach but it will flatten it considerably - use a toning band too...
    Myth. You'll have a strong more conditioned midsection, but a flat stomach is dependent more on calorie deficit. You can't spot reduce any area of the body with exercise.

IDEA Fitness member
  • Luvmyboxerboy
    Luvmyboxerboy Posts: 130 Member
    Options
    Not every girl takes after their mom.....I do not plan on looking like my mom 26 years from now.....no way. I eat a he** of a lot better than her, way more active and I sure don't plan on stopping.
    everyone is their own individual making their own decisions...I think it's a pretty lame statement to say " take a look at your mom, that's what you'll look like when u r her age"....... Really?????? What a downer.
  • ninerbuff
    Options
    I agree genetics determine a lot about what our bodies ultimately are able to achieve, but I think your statement is way off. If my dad worked out and ate exactly like I do then yes I would be able to look at him to get a good "general" idea of what my body is capable of. But if her mother doesn't have the same eating and exercise habits then it's not going to tell her much.
    Not all offspring will look like the parent, but general shape comes from the parents. Most children will end up being taller and possibly bigger than their parents, but my point was that how their bodies are structure has all to do from genetics (with the exception of adoption of course). If your mom has a flat butt, chances are if you're a female that will also be the case. If you're male and your dad has good calves, chances are you will too. Genetics aren't all, but usually a good indicator.
    Lucky for me, my dad is in proportional shape an has good calves. But like him I have a small joint structure which doesn't allow for some heavier lifts.

IDEA Fitness member
  • ninerbuff
    Options
    Not every girl takes after their mom.....I do not plan on looking like my mom 26 years from now.....no way. I eat a he** of a lot better than her, way more active and I sure don't plan on stopping.
    everyone is their own individual making their own decisions...I think it's a pretty lame statement to say " take a look at your mom, that's what you'll look like when u r her age"....... Really?????? What a downer.
    Read the statement. I stated shape. If she's apple shaped, that's usually the shape you'll end up with. Pear shaped, usually the same.

IDEA Fitness member
  • myf1101
    myf1101 Posts: 99
    Options

IDEA Fitness member
    Gosh I really hope so my mother is a tiny UK size 6, with small boobs and a boyish figure. I am a very curvy UK size 14 with a large chest - so I can't wait for the next 20 years to pass and I will be just what I want to be. Hang on though, when my mother was 46 she was still a tiny size 6 with no curves ............oh well the dream was nice while it lasted
  • Luvmyboxerboy
    Luvmyboxerboy Posts: 130 Member
    Options
    Read the statement. I stated shape. If she's apple shaped, that's usually the shape you'll end up with. Pear shaped, usually the same.

My apologies, should have re-read that...

IDEA Fitness member
  • rockinsue285
    Options

• rockinsue285
    Options
    omg please pleae god rest my mums soul dont let it be genetics, my mum was extremley overweight in latter years, led to high blood pressure and strokes, dont want that to be my future:cry:
  • anfmusicgrl
    anfmusicgrl Posts: 63 Member
    Options
    I WISH I looked like my mom, lol.... I'd say that statement is not true. There are 2 gene pools that are at play anyways..not just one.

My mom is 5'2" and weighs about 110 lbs...sometimes only like 95, sometimes up to 115...She wears a barely A cup.

I'm 5'5" and I don't remember ever weighing less than 150; lol... not to mention, she is very small framed. I am the opposite. Even when I was "thin" I was shaped much different than her. AKA, I had a little bit of boobs...and she is definitely not prone to belly fat like me. (No thanks to PCOS for that curse)

In fact, my entire family, and I mean EVERYONE is tiny. Bone structure wise, and weight wise. I have 5 brothers, one is 6'1" and weighs 125...the one that weighs the most is 5'11" and weighs about 147. My grandpa is 5'4" 122 lbs. My dad is 5'11" and weighs 160. My aunts are all about a size 0. The only thing I can think of that I have in common body wise with my family is my long second toe, lmao, and my lack of butt.

To original poster:

Unfortunately we cannot change our genes. You can change outside factors like exercise, food, body fat %, etc...and eventually you would lose belly fat...but keeping your curves is going to be something that your body and genetic factors will decide.
  • MrsLong1980
    MrsLong1980 Posts: 181 Member
    Options

IDEA Fitness member

My mum and I have completely different shapes - she has no butt, small boobs and long torso. I have a big butt, big hips, big boobs, short torso and small waist. I am closer to the women on my dad's side.
  • NiniLeeMarie
    Options
    thank you that makes me feel much better(:
  • CAROLiNEB68
    Options

Lol :), Agree!