when to lower the cardio and increase the strengthening

Options
Hi guys :) so I've been doing my healthy eating and cardio for around 3 weeks now, though only just started strength training today. I've been reading up on here that too much cardio when there is nothing much left to lose, can cause the body to use up muscle gain to aid cardio causing muscle mass to decrease. When will I know the right time to lower the cardio, and what do I lower it to? I haven't got much to lose. Just a bit around the legs, bum and tum in order to see the muscle gain.

Thanks guys :)
Jennifer

Replies

• BrianSharpe
    BrianSharpe Posts: 9,248 Member
    Options
    At the risk of sounding evasive your program (strength & cardio) should be tailored to meet your fitness objectives. Your best bet may be to find a qualified personal trainer (not the sales rep type from your local gym) and discuss where you are right now and where you'd like to be a year from now.

Don't worry about "too much" cardio metabolizing muscle mass unless you're on an extremely low net calorie diet. I know the stereotypical image people have of marathon runners is a gaunt, almost skeletal body type because they're the ones winning the races (it's in their genes, just the same as world champion sprinters are born with the right type of musculature in their legs)
  • jb32hss
    jb32hss Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the quick reply Brian :) I'm glad I don't have to worry about any muscle mass I may build up :) may stick to the amount of cardio I'm doing now, and in a couple of months I can review it

Jennifer
  • trimom10
    trimom10 Posts: 388 Member
    Options
    I've done lots of reading on MFP about this and it IS important to do strength training, in addition to cardio. At least two times a week lift weights. However, remember that muscle weighs more than fat.
  • BrianSharpe
    Options
    However, remember that muscle weighs more than fat.

A lb of muscle is heavier than a lb of fat? :tongue:

Muscles is denser than fat, a given volume of muscle will be heavier than the same volume of fat.
  • jb32hss
    Options
    I have always done strength training with my cardio as they compliment eachother, I'm just thinking il stick to the amount of cardio I already do and lower it when necessary :) I have just started with higher weights in the gym today rather than a toning class. Though too much cardio can have a negative effect on muscle gain once body fat is low enough which I want to avoid.

Good point made smarty pants lol :)

Jennifer
  • Azdak
    Azdak Posts: 8,281 Member
    Options
    Don't worry about "too much cardio burning muscle". Those effects are wildly overstated.
  • jb32hss
    Options
    Ahrite I see, glad to hear that. I guess I can carry on as I am then :)

Thanks guys :)
    Jennifer
  • clickmaster
    clickmaster Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    I've been reading up on here that too much cardio when there is nothing much left to lose, can cause the body to use up muscle gain to aid cardio causing muscle mass to decrease.
    You would have to do a whole lot of steady-state aerobics (cardio is a misnomer) such as a marathon a week to have any concerns about losing muscle mass. That said, you should build your fitness training around anaerobics, not aerobics. You can get many more benefits by increasing lean muscle mass with high intensity anaerobics than you can from hours of aerobics.

Strength training is the only way to reach peak fitness. The reasoning is as follows: When you add muscle, you also force the organs and systems which support muscle to develop and become more robust and that includes everything from the heart to liver and kidneys to lungs and cardio-vascular system to the smallest capillary, etc. Here are just some of the benefits to anaerobic exercise.

• Stronger bones and increased bone mineral density (resistance to osteoporosis)
    • Higher basal metabolic rate (50 cal/day/pound of muscle)
    • More robust organic and systemic fitness
    • Enhances immune system
    • Increased resistance to injury
    • Stronger tissues (connective, tendon, ligament, etc)
    • Mechanical work easier to perform
    • Reduced muscle loss due to aging from >35 years of age

Steady-state aerobics (cardio) does not offer all of these benefits, it increases the risk of injury, and produces greater wear and tear problems. I recommend reading this book --> http://www.bodybyscience.net/home.html/?page_id=18 for the whole story.

Here's an excerpt.

"The scientific literature is filled with data that strongly make the case that long distance runners are much more likely to develop cardio-vascular disease, atrial fibrillation, cancer, liver and gallbladder disorders, muscle damage, kidney dysfunction (renal abnormalities), acute microthrombosis in the vascular system, brain damage, spinal degeneration, and germ-cell cancers than are their less active counterparts."

Each assertion is footnoted. They're making the point that most people have "cardio" all wrong and don't really understand how to train to be fit.

Of course, your fitness program should be goal-oriented.

Here's an example of a good general strength training high intensity workout...one week's worth of training in about 12 minutes. ---> http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FVhhbC51_3k&feature=related

Good luck and good health!!

• hesn92
    hesn92 Posts: 5,967 Member
    Options
    I don't think it's ever too soon to start doing weight/strength...
  • BrianSharpe
    Options

Steady-state aerobics (cardio) does not offer all of these benefits, it increases the risk of injury, and produces greater wear and tear problems. I recommend reading this book --> http://www.bodybyscience.net/home.html/?page_id=18 for the whole story.

Here's an excerpt.

"The scientific literature is filled with data that strongly make the case that long distance runners are much more likely to develop cardio-vascular disease, atrial fibrillation, cancer, liver and gallbladder disorders, muscle damage, kidney dysfunction (renal abnormalities), acute microthrombosis in the vascular system, brain damage, spinal degeneration, and germ-cell cancers than are their less active counterparts."
    Here's an example of a good general strength training high intensity workout...one week's worth of training in about 12 minutes. ---> http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FVhhbC51_3k&feature=related

Good luck and good health!!

I may just order a copy of the book to satisfy my curiosity but I get a little worried about hyperbole like:

"By using a proper science-based approach to exercise you can be on your way to achieving the following in as little as 12 minutes a week:

Build muscle size and strength
    Optimize cardiovascular health
    Ramp up your metabolism
    Lower cholesterol
    Increase insulin sensitivity
    Improve flexibility
    Manage arthritis and chronic back pain
    Build bone density
    Reduce your risk for diabetes, cancer, heart attack, and more"

12 minutes a week?

While there have been a small number of cardiac arrests associated with marathons the literature clearly still supports endurance training as a significant factor in reducing the risk of heart attack and stroke, controlling blood pressure, maintaining healthy blood lipid levels etc.

http://online.wsj.com/article/SB10001424052970203436904577154894213494580.html

http://www.medscape.com/viewarticle/758295

Similarly the whole "you're going to wreck your knees" myth has been debunked too.

Should people strength train - you bet. Building and maintaining lean muscle mass is critical to optimal health and has been proven to have tremendous benefits for our aging population but should be part of a balanced approach to fitness which includes both aerobic and anaerobic exercise. "Get the results you want in 12 minutes a week!" - sorry, gotta call bull$**t on that one.