Personal trainers.

Options
nz_deevaa
nz_deevaa Posts: 12,209 Member
Apprently I'm another trainer down. That's 3 trainers I've broken in less than a year.

Either I'm just too hard core for the trainers or no one wants to train the fat old lady.

Im absolutely gutted, I really enjoyed working with the last one.

I'm not sure if staff turn over at gyms is usually really high, or if it's just me (or my gym). I work hard with the trainer and never whine or cry!

Replies

• inetgirl
    inetgirl Posts: 174 Member
    Options
    No word or anything?

I'm sure you can find another one. My friend found one outside of her gym and he actually meets her at her gym for the workout. She goes to a gym that allows a $5.00 dollar charge for a day workout pass. She goes about 3x a week and pays for his as well and his cost.
  • seekingstrengthX2
    Options
    The trainers at the gym probably don't get paid much. I belong to a gym but have a personal trainer elsewhere. I like it better that way.
  • nz_deevaa
    Options
    I didn't hear anything about my last trainer leaving until I turned up to a session this morning and he wasn't there. I'd confirmed the session with him on Wednesday!
  • mdebbie1026
    mdebbie1026 Posts: 164 Member
    Options
    I really doubt that it is you. Sounds like a gym issue to me. Just hang in there, you'll reach your goal with or without them.:wink: Looks like you are almost half way there already! :flowerforyou:
  • nz_deevaa
    Options
    The trainers at the gym probably don't get paid much. I belong to a gym but have a personal trainer elsewhere. I like it better that way.

I pay him $40 for a 1/2 hour session on top of my gym fees.
  • seekingstrengthX2
    Options

I pay him $40 for a 1/2 hour session on top of my gym fees.

Holy Crap. Ok, it's not the $$ then. Dang.
  • inetgirl
    inetgirl Posts: 174 Member
    Options
    Wow, that's just rude to me. I would have at least called my clients and let them know. If you know the drill you could probably duplicate it. Maybe find a gym buddy who can push you like your trainer until another trainer comes along.
  • ummmsorrybutno
    ummmsorrybutno Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    Is the 40 what you pay to him, or to the gym to use him? I know there are a lot of places where you pay like 50.00 a session... but the trainer only gets a portion of it.

I agree with the other poster who said maybe try to find someone outside of your gym.
  • schnugglebug
    schnugglebug Posts: 333 Member
    Options
    at my gym it is 50$ on top of regular fees of (39.97 a month)

so I expect him to show up LOL... (well once I hire one... I haven't yet LOL)

nope makes no sense... would have been nice of them to inform you... hope they either reimburse you your money or put it towards another trainer.
  • nz_deevaa
    Options
    Is the 40 what you pay to him, or to the gym to use him? I know there are a lot of places where you pay like 50.00 a session... but the trainer only gets a portion of it.

I agree with the other poster who said maybe try to find someone outside of your gym.

I pay the money directly to him. It's my understanding that he pays a set amount to the gym each month.
  • Aerohead21
    Aerohead21 Posts: 333 Member
    Options
    Honestly, he was probably either let go or walked out after something bad. I'd talk with the manager on this one, explain you want a good, reliable trainer or you'll have to look for something elsewhere.
  • nehauck
    nehauck Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    It doesn't have anything to do with you as you loved going and never whined or complained! If he was fired for any reason he most likely wouldn't be able to take a client list with him. Or, it could have simply been he quit for his own personal reasons. Don't let it get you down, these things happen to everyone!
  • scribe313
    scribe313 Posts: 103 Member
    Options
    At my gym, the trainer does not get all of the money but a percentage split with the gym. The trainers also are not hourly employees like the other employees, if they aren't training they aren't being paid. That's why alot of trainers try to get people to sign up for set packages of training sessions. As far as turn overs, I have worked out at the same gym for a year and I have seen at least five different trainers come and go (guess I was lucky my trainer stayed around). There are a set number of clients with five or six guys fighting to train them, normally there is one or two stars of the gym with smooth enough salespersonship to make enough money to survive. The rest just fall off.
  • chicky89
    chicky89 Posts: 262 Member
    Options
    Trainers typically get 40% and gym gets 60%.... and they get paid only when they train.... so if they have a 3 hour lawl between clients they dont get paid. If I were them and found something better, I would leave. But its rude the gym didnt inform you!
    Its not you!!!
  • EBFNP
    EBFNP Posts: 529 Member
    Options
    Yeah, I doubt the trainer is getting all the money. At my gym I go to they even work at the desk at times when they are not training. I paid 40 dollars for a hour session to my trainer for a few months until January. He always talked about how he was happy to have 3 1-hour sessions in a row. Always alluding to the money.
  • nz_deevaa
    Options
    Thanks for the feedback. I guess I shouldn't take it personally. I really liked the last trainer.
  • dad106
    dad106 Posts: 4,868 Member
    Options
    My first trainer did that.. He was only working mornings for a while because he had a second job at night(and I can only train at night). Was supposed to be back in Oct and then my mom's trainer said actually he's not coming back... found out later that he got fired. I got no warning.. nothing. and I was pissed.

Since that experience I have gone through two more trainers(one got promoted to manger, and the second I'm currently seeing) and I'm happy as a clam. The trainer I have now is absolutely wonderful.
  • nz_deevaa
    Options
    I've just worked out that I paid $350 at the start of the year, as a down payment for 22 sessions ($750). I had 4 more sessions scheduled until I had to pay the balance. Do you think the PT or the gym is responsible for those 4 sessions?
  • dad106
    dad106 Posts: 4,868 Member
    Options
    I've just worked out that I paid $350 at the start of the year, as a down payment for 22 sessions ($750). I had 4 more sessions scheduled until I had to pay the balance. Do you think the PT or the gym is responsible for those 4 sessions?

The gym is responsible... They need to be finding you a new PT.. and if they don't, then call their headquarters and demand your money back.
  • BeautyFromPain
    BeautyFromPain Posts: 4,952 Member
    Options
    Apprently I'm another trainer down. That's 3 trainers I've broken in less than a year.

Either I'm just too hard core for the trainers or no one wants to train the fat old lady.

Im absolutely gutted, I really enjoyed working with the last one.

I'm not sure if staff turn over at gyms is usually really high, or if it's just me (or my gym). I work hard with the trainer and never whine or cry!

I would totally train you if I lived anywhere near you!