Heavy but Wanting to Run, Can it Happen? Suggestions?

Options
Quasita
Quasita Posts: 1,530 Member
So, for some reason I have a desire to do something I've never been good at, which is to train myself to run. On a treadmill I can run a couple miles no prob but without the give and boost of the treadmill, I tire out easily. This from a once college-recruited softball player! LOL They always sent in pinch runners, no joke, under the guise that I was too valuable as pitcher to run the bases... We all knew, though, that I was pretty slow as a runner.

Anyway, I keep reading that it's a great exercise for burns and I'm sure I'd get into it happily if I just knew how to start. It's been so long that I don't even have running shoes!

Now, I don't have any illusions about this... I know I'm pretty darn heavy to even consider it and I will have to be very careful. However, has anyone else here started from a very heavy weight (I'm 445 currently) and successfully brought running into their life? If so, how did you do it? I'm thinking that since it's getting nice out, I will just use trails around town to avoid people watching me, but what else can I do for success?

Thanks!

Replies

• clattea
    clattea Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Check out Couch to 5K running plan on the internet. My son is running and he is overweight. He has taken up running said there were a lot of overweight people running in the 5K he ran. Good Luck.
  • PunkRockDad
    Options
    You might want to look into the Couch to 5k program. I am going to start it either tomorrow or Sunday. Don't worry about speed, just finish even if you have to walk it. You have to start somewhere. Good luck.
  • lesle1
    lesle1 Posts: 354 Member
    Options
    Start with walking. Add very sloooooow jogs in with the walking. Slowly add more jogging. Listen to your body.
  • miss_september
    Options
    Couch to 5K may be good, a friend of mine did something similar and began by losing 20 lbs, then started training. She completed a half-marathon last fall. Anyway, before you really start your running journey, please visit a running store where someone can help you get fitted for proper shoes! Especially for those of us who are heavy, running is very hard on the joints and proper shoes will help. I don't know of any "chain" stores, so I can't make a universal suggestion (our best running store is a locally-owned one here in AK), but good shoes are important, and starting slow. As long as you believe you can do it, you will =-).
  • ArtGeek22
    ArtGeek22 Posts: 1,429 Member
    Options
    My suggestion would be to build on it. Running for me is horrible on my knees because it runs in the family so I would suggest working out on the "Elliptical". The fluid motion helps with joint impact. Or start by walking 1 mile around your neighborhood 3-4 times a week. Then just start building on it from there. But ALWAYS listen to your body because pushing yourself to hard could lead to an injury.

But personally, I would start by building up my heart and lungs on the machines so when you start training it will be easier for you. However, I absolutlly think you could run and start training but you would, as any beginner, need to start off slow and build. As long as you believe in yourself you can do it!

Hope I helped :flowerforyou: and sorry I rambled :embarassed:

Keep Calm and Carry On,
    Anna

P.S Cheers to good health :drinker: (with water of course)
  • Femtec74
    Femtec74 Posts: 347 Member
    Options
    So, for some reason I have a desire to do something I've never been good at, which is to train myself to run. On a treadmill I can run a couple miles no prob but without the give and boost of the treadmill, I tire out easily. This from a once college-recruited softball player! LOL They always sent in pinch runners, no joke, under the guise that I was too valuable as pitcher to run the bases... We all knew, though, that I was pretty slow as a runner.

Anyway, I keep reading that it's a great exercise for burns and I'm sure I'd get into it happily if I just knew how to start. It's been so long that I don't even have running shoes!

Now, I don't have any illusions about this... I know I'm pretty darn heavy to even consider it and I will have to be very careful. However, has anyone else here started from a very heavy weight (I'm 445 currently) and successfully brought running into their life? If so, how did you do it? I'm thinking that since it's getting nice out, I will just use trails around town to avoid people watching me, but what else can I do for success?

Thanks!

Absolutely - start out slow, don't overdo it - you'll feel much better for it.

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/513023-first-half-marathon-and-obese
  • LabRat529
    LabRat529 Posts: 1,323 Member
    Options
    I don't know if it can happen or not. Perhaps not without some weight loss first? But then again, you could prove me wrong.

I've been trying (sorta) to run, and every time I run, for even just 5 minutes, my hips and knees are sad. I'm 188lbs. Now I do have damaged joints just in general... but I'd be concerned about your joints if you decided to run.

HOWEVER... you might try water running/walking. Yes, I'm serious. The water will help support your weight... then, when you're ready, you can move to solid ground.
  • aldousmom
    aldousmom Posts: 382 Member
    Options
    I would do fast walking for a while (outside...the variation of terrain and scenery is good for your brain) , then move into adding short intervals of running.

Couch to 5K worked well for me. There are a couple of versions out there tho...look for the one that starts with the shortest running intervals.
    Since you're SUPER new to running and overweight, I would do each week at least twice. I was a bit overweight when I started and it really helped knowing it was no big deal to repeat weeks. The trick to the running part is to try not to go very fast. Your beginning run should be as gentle as possible and not much faster than your walking.

The action of bringing your body up and down will really get your heart going and strong which is the key to being able to run for a longer period of time. So, run slow. Run so slow you think you look silly. You are building endurance at this stage (c25k), not speed. Once you can run for 30 minutes (even at your silliest slow pace) then you are ready to speed up and start worrying about distance.

Another piece of advice for overweight beginning runners is to NOT RUN more than 3 days per week. It's very hard on the joints, muscles and bones, and your rest between workouts is ABSOLUTELY necessary. Doing more than that makes it more likely that you will injure yourself, and then you wouldn't be able to run at all. For your weight loss, do some cross training on the off days: yoga, swimming, weight training.

what helped me the most to stay with my running was joining our local running club. They have walking, run/walk, and running groups, social runs, and training classes. Belonging to a group of other runners was so important to my continued success.
    I've been running less than two years, started out overweight, and am running my 4th half marathon this year in 2 weeks.

Do it!!
  • BLSBoyer
    BLSBoyer Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    Stretch, stretch, stretch! I started my weight loss journey by doing a run/walk, but I kept getting extremely sore and out of breath. So I added in an hours worth of yoga before I went and no longer have those issues. Take it slow and enjoy the time you spend doing it and you will go back for more :D

17816880.png
    Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Nutrition Facts For Foods
  • Quasita
    Quasita Posts: 1,530 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone. Believe it or not, I'm already down 40 pounds from my highest weight, and I am able to do 3 hours non-stop on a stationary bike so I want to do something more. I am heavy but not necessarily unhealthy to the same extent as others. I know about the c25k program, I was just wondering if anyone had any personal tips. I want to strengthen my knees and I know that one of the only ways to do that is to do weight bearing, and I was planning 1-2 days a week to do something like running. I currently work out 4-6 days a week, mostly on long distance cycling, and stretching and the like, so hopefully this will help.

Thanks again!

P.S. Strengthening my knees is because I'm hypermobile and they are pretty unstable because of it. I need to work on it, and will probably be doing this with braces on for a while. Thanks again!
  • pdworkman
    pdworkman Posts: 1,342 Member
    Options
    My friend started running around 400 lb. She is down to 200 lb (and tall, so that is a healthy weight for her). Just take it slow. Walk and run. Even if you go with a training program like C25K, feel free to modify, repeat days or weeks, and listen to your body.

My hubby runs, but needs braces on his knees or they hurt too much. With a couple of department store knee braces, he feels much better. But he also doesn't stretch or cool down properly.