Going out to eat & trying to be good on calories...

haaaleyx
haaaleyx Posts: 83 Member
Alright, so we're visiting a family member that's incarcerated and we're here for the weekend staying in a hotel, so we go out for dinner, eat breakfast at the hotel, then in the visiting they have vending machines with food & snacks and stuff. Today we went to iHOP for breakfast and I got one of their healthier options, which was around 420 calories. Then we went to Dennys and I got another healthy option meal around 540 calories. BUT IM SO HUNGRY. I just had a small thing of cheez its and 7 peanut m&ms for a snack and there's all my calories for the day. Also we always eat when visiting, but I obviously can't bring my phone in and the food is all made there so I don't know the calories that will be in it. Any ideas on this and the whole going out to eat for the next couple nights ? Should I just not worry about my calories but still try and make 'healthier choices' or should I just suck it up and be hungry so I can stick to my limit.

Replies

• tinaruby
    tinaruby Posts: 74 Member
    Try eating things higher in Fiber and protien. It will fill you up and keeps you away from the carbs. Usually almonds and peanuts (with out the chocolate :-)) work well too. Drink water too. I do protien shakes for breakfast every morning with a suupliment added to it that contains fiber. You can make a protien shake at the hotel. :-)
  • tinaruby
    tinaruby Posts: 74 Member
    Oh, and when you go out to eat, remember that you are the one paying them. Request what you want. I went to Ruby Tuesday's the other night and made my own meal. I asked for grilled chicken steak and shrimp and made my own salad with it. It was an awesome dinner and it was only 377 calories with one of those darn garlic biscuits I couldn't leave a lone.
  • kp1439
    kp1439 Posts: 343 Member
    good luck ... i ate out lunch today and i somewhat blew it ...
  • dme1977
    dme1977 Posts: 537 Member
    im glad you asked this because I have a gift certificate for my birthday coming up to a local restaurant and I cant find calories on any of the meals they serve on the internet... do I just NOT log for that meal or what??? :indifferent:
  • sssygirl
    sssygirl Posts: 55 Member
    if there is a grocery close by, pick up some apples and granola bars. Also go for big salads with no cheese and add lots of veggies and grilled chicken..get the dressing on the side.

Just do the best you can...and try to fit in a workout if possible.
  • aklitten
    aklitten Posts: 237 Member
    Definitely try to get some of your own snacks at a grocery store--that's a great idea. But also understand that these are not normal circumstances, and that they are not permanent. Be flexible, but also be forgiving of yourself. This is a journey, try the best day-to-day but think about the big picture. Good luck!
  • mom2mozart
    mom2mozart Posts: 307 Member
    Try to order vegetables and fruits. Fruit cup, salad, order vegetable sides (steamed brocolli, vegetable medley), lean meats (turkey, chicken, fish, seafood, or lean beef)... Clear broth soups are good to fill you up, but may contain a ton of salt... Baked potatoes with salsa are filling, tasty and reasonably low in calories. Lowfat milk will also keep you full longer. Try to avoid too many sweet simple carbohydrates (cakes, sweet breads, candy, cookies, etc - they will make you hungry again fast).

Also, even at McDonald's you can find healthy choices - their fruit and maple oatmeal is available all day - it is filling and delicious, fruit & yogurt parfait also very good, unsweetened tea...
  • nikkylyn
    nikkylyn Posts: 325 Member
    I would also try a grocery/convience store. Get some fruit ( apples), almonds, granola bars, etc.. That you can snack on.

I would try to make the best choices but dont starve yourself and its only a few days. If you go over you go over. No big thing. But I would still try to make good choices like you have been doing.
  • gsager
    gsager Posts: 977 Member
    If you could start working out you could eat more calories. 1200 calories is such a small amount to try to live on.
  • ErynnBaby
    ErynnBaby Posts: 15
    I eat out a lot (my studio doesn't have a kitchen!!!). I stay under my calories by choosing grilled chicken (every place has it whether it's on the menu or not!) and a salad (fat free/light dressing on the side). At Denny's/IHOP get scrambled eggs (or egg beaters) and whole grain toast or fruit salad or something. At fast food places opt for As for vending machines, there's not much you can do about that. Drink water, only eat a fraction of the package. And when you get to the hotel run the stairs for 15 mins. Do jumping jacks at the top of each set. Basically you can control what you eat and how much activity you get...

I hope that helps!!!! Have "fun" (idk if visiting lock up can be fun or not) and don't forget that one or two days off isn't horrible.
  • KrazyAsianNic
    KrazyAsianNic Posts: 1,227 Member
    Eating out in restaurants is one thing I'm working on right now. When i go to stay in hotels, I like to stop by a grocery store and grab a couple apples and bananas just in case I need a snack. And as of not knowing what's in the food, try to find the best thing on the MFP database to record. It won't be 100% accurate, but at least it's something. i also like to add in my food notes other things I want to remember about a meal that is harder to record in the actual meal.
  • chicpeach
    chicpeach Posts: 302 Member
    Does the hotel have a little work out room? Is it warm enough where you are to go for a swim? Maintaining your cardio may help you feel less guilty about asking for a little something to supplement your meal such as a cup of soup, chili, fruit, etc.