New HR-Polar FT4. Unsure of accuracy

Options
Ok so i caved and bought a HRM. Polar FT4. Hubby and i went for a hike in the trails with our pup. Took 51 minutes and the HRM said i burned over 400 Calories!!!!!!!!!!!
I am so afraid of the accuracy of the HRM. Before i had it i would say that i only burned about 150 calories and log 150. Holy mole-y! can this be true? 400 calories burned? should i log it as such or underestimate?
I have lost nearly 10lbs in one month by always underestimating calories burned and over estimating calories eaten.

Advice?

Replies

• MyTyme2
    MyTyme2 Posts: 6
    Options
    I just typed hiking into the exercise log for 45 minutes and it said at my weight that for that long I would burn 504 calories!!! So I would guess that your monitor is pretty accurate. I am looking for something to measure distance walked...any suggestions?
  • rockerbabyy
    rockerbabyy Posts: 2,258 Member
    Options
    i would say it depends on how high your heart rate was, as HRMs are more accurate when in "the zone" but id say that sounds about right.. i have the same model and love it. i burn about 10 calories a minute on the elliptical
  • FitMama2013
    FitMama2013 Posts: 919 Member
    Options
    I think that's definitely possible for you, so log the 400 :)
  • nicehormones
    nicehormones Posts: 503 Member
    Options
    Sounds about right. I love my polar ft4 and I have never had any weight loss issues due to inaccuracy.
  • Shajsum
    Shajsum Posts: 121 Member
    Options
    Sounds right to me!! I love my PolarFT4!!
  • gspea
    gspea Posts: 412 Member
    Options
    I was looking at that the other day. Will have to check it out.
  • gspea
    gspea Posts: 412 Member
    Options
    I just typed hiking into the exercise log for 45 minutes and it said at my weight that for that long I would burn 504 calories!!! So I would guess that your monitor is pretty accurate. I am looking for something to measure distance walked...any suggestions?

Hi - If you have an Android Phone - there is app called My Tracks. I use it to track all my walks (even tracked my walk shopping in Walmart). Free app and it will show you, miles, speed, elevation, and it is easy to use. I really like it. Use it for hiking, walking, running. Cool Tool...
  • Tami113
    Tami113 Posts: 117 Member
    Options
    a lot of people vouch for the validity of the polar ft4!!! awesome. i think i will underestimate just a little to keep myself in check.
    also some pedometers track distance. check them out on amazon and read the reviews.
    thanks everyone!!
  • SparkleShine
    SparkleShine Posts: 2,001 Member
    Options
    Sounds about right to me!
  • tjsusong
    tjsusong Posts: 195 Member
    Options
    Polars are all pretty accurate which is why I've had 3 of them. I trust that their burn count is much more accurate than any machine is giving me! Although, I would love to count what the Elliptical says I burn! LOL Seriously, yes... count it that way!!!
  • Tami113
    Tami113 Posts: 117 Member
    Options
    thanks everyone! it still amazes me and i am a bit reluctant still because my weight loss has been successful thus far. i will continue to use the HRM and see how it goes with eating more (since now i know i am burning more than i thought) hopefully the weight continues to come off