need help with impulsive eating

Options
i come home, and it's like my mind blanks out, and I eat something unhealthy. I try the 10 minute wait, but I really seem to instinctively eat. Really annoying, and it's hindering my progress. Any tips?

Replies

• Lynn995
    Lynn995 Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    Are you very hungry when you get home? I take a train home and make sure I snack on sliced apples, nuts or a cheese stick so I won't walk into the house starving and just start grabbing things. I also make coffee or tea as soon as I get in to curb hunger until we can get to dinner. Or just avoid the kitchen!
  • Fit_2013
    Fit_2013 Posts: 336 Member
    Options
    I have recently started a group called water for weightloss, so when you are inclined to eat of boredom think about drinking water, give it a try.
  • ambutler0905
    Options
    I could use some tips too! My downfall seems to be while cooking dinner. I guess not having the chips in the house in first place would be a good place to start.
  • leaso75581
    leaso75581 Posts: 103
    Options
    i'm going to try the water thing.. i literally go brain dead. and no, i'm not hungry. i think what it is, is that i'm so emotionally exhausted when i come home, that i just don't want to think. i turn into a caveman, "ME WANT EAT!!! FEED ME SEYMOUR!!!
  • Partyofpugs
    Partyofpugs Posts: 105
    Options
    Get impulsive stuff out of the house! Throw it away. Put a can of green beans on the counter. If you must eat, eat that. Keep fruits and vegetables in your line of sight in the fridge. Prepack servings and move them out of the crisper and up on the shelves. You have to retrain yourself to grab something healthy. Try yogurt. Sugar free fudgecicles, etc. Arm your home with better choices.
  • Partyofpugs
    Partyofpugs Posts: 105
    Options
    I could use some tips too! My downfall seems to be while cooking dinner. I guess not having the chips in the house in first place would be a good place to start.
    See my prior response. I precook as much as I can AFTER DINNER for the next day. I do a lot with a crockpot. I make a lot of things to put on the grill. I get out of the kitchen as much as I can while stuff cooks. If I'm making rice or potatoes I put out as much as I can on the counter the night before and I have the cookbook open. I don't have a dishwasher so I hand wash dishes while stuff cooks. Yes, I let my dishes sit out dirty until the next day.
  • lmalaschak
    lmalaschak Posts: 346 Member
    Options
    A little snack on the way home is a good idea, whoever posted that. I sometimes will log my snacks and/or meals ahead of time too. Then when I'm hungry I check the "schedule" I made for myself and have whatever I put in for that time. It's not set in stone but it's a good guideline.
  • hdlb123
    hdlb123 Posts: 112 Member
    Options
    A little snack on the way home is a good idea, whoever posted that. I sometimes will log my snacks and/or meals ahead of time too. Then when I'm hungry I check the "schedule" I made for myself and have whatever I put in for that time. It's not set in stone but it's a good guideline.

I do this too.
  • TheMiddlePath
    TheMiddlePath Posts: 230 Member
    Options
    I just ate 2800 calories in a 2 hour time span. I was totally aware and could not stop myself. All the hard work down the drain in no time. WTF is my problem?!
  • TrailRunner61
    TrailRunner61 Posts: 2,505 Member
    Options
    l Just don't have it in the house to begin with. That's all I can do.
    If I'm hungry between meals I will eat 1 of the following and sometimes 2 : low fat string cheese, 1 apple, 2 mandarin oranges, 1 fat free greek yogurt, cut up melon salad, a diet jello cup, 100 calorie popcorn (single serve) or a small handful of nuts ( more like 2 tablespoons). I also will chug a small glass of diet koolaid or crystal light. It def helps me. I also pack the above and take it with me on the road if I wont be home.