Still confused about eating back cals!!

Options
Okay, I know this is on here a lot but I am still confused about eating back calories.....call me stupid, but need to know please.
I just started MFP in Feb. so not too sure if it is "really" working totally for me or not. I am 248 pounds (now) and do a "curves" workout 5 days a week plus I walk on the treadmill, this totals approx. 45 mins of cardio a day some days more. My question is because I am hugely overweight do I need to eat these back? I do end up eating some back but really should I? Would I benefit by doing any more cardio? Please help as I need to lose these 4 spare tires!!! Thanks..

Replies

• 7funnygirl7
    7funnygirl7 Posts: 1,176
    Options
    ANYONE????
  • raquelott
    raquelott Posts: 14
    Options
    Don't know whether you should or should not, I try not to. Today I ended up eating all but 79 calories of the 600+ cals I burned. Hope someone has a better answer.
  • Becky_Boodle
    Becky_Boodle Posts: 253 Member
    Options
    As long as you are eating at least 1200 NET calories not total calories...
    I took a quick look at your diary...and it looks like you are...
  • loves_jc
    loves_jc Posts: 86 Member
    Options
    Okay, I know this is on here a lot but I am still confused about eating back calories.....call me stupid, but need to know please.
    I just started MFP in Feb. so not too sure if it is "really" working totally for me or not. I am 248 pounds (now) and do a "curves" workout 5 days a week plus I walk on the treadmill, this totals approx. 45 mins of cardio a day some days more. My question is because I am hugely overweight do I need to eat these back? I do end up eating some back but really should I? Would I benefit by doing any more cardio? Please help as I need to lose these 4 spare tires!!! Thanks..
  • JamzPurse
    JamzPurse Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    My only advice is to use them if you need them. If you are hungry go for it, if youre not than don't. Only eat about 80% back when you do to leave room for error.
  • 7funnygirl7
    Options
    Thanks, any more info/advice is always welcome!!
  • jennkess
    jennkess Posts: 86
    Options
    I would eat most of the calories back, you need to fuel your body , if you are hungry eat, drink lots of water- just make what you eat matter try not to get into the - I just walked off 300 calories now I can have a piece of cake--- would be delicious- but add some extra chicken to your salad, eat a handful of nuts- avocados- protein-protein shake. the last thing you want to do is after you put it thru the shock of eating better and exercising is not eating enough and going into starvation mode. the scale may move slower but your body will love you more for it.

good luck! and view others diaries, add freinds- watch what they eat, open your diary if it's not already and ask for help - that is what we are here for, and this is my Inspiration this week on the success board:

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/518976-i-hit-51-lbs-pictures
  • dicoveringwhoIam
    dicoveringwhoIam Posts: 480 Member
    Options
    Eat your base caloric intake. The other is a bonus.. If you abstain from the extra calories given to you from working out you end up losing more belly fat. That's what I've learned.
  • nikdonbon
    nikdonbon Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    I was just going to ask the same questions. I know that you are supposed to eat 1200 calories, but if you burn 600 are you supposed to eat 1800 total or just have a larger deficit. Good question!
  • loves_jc
    loves_jc Posts: 86 Member
    Options
    I am very overweight and am lossing about 2 p.ounds a week and still eat back my cals. I recomend that you do this you need it for energy. That is all cals are is energy when we dont use our energy that we eat then it is bad but if you excersie and dont go over you will lose it. It has already deducted the weith loss cals.
  • SweatinSammie
    Options
    It SEEMS to me that when someone needs to drop a large amount of weight - or is considered obese - not eating back your burned calories is not a big deal. What I've noticed that if people hit a plateau, and they are not eating back at least half of their work out cals, that starting to eat those jump starts weight loss. This is what happened to me, and I've seen it happen to plenty of other people also. Since you have 'four extra tires' to lose, I highly doubt that not eating back all of those calories is a big deal but I'm not a nutritionist, just an observer and participatant of MFP! Good luck to you!
  • chelseaalicia
    chelseaalicia Posts: 164 Member
    Options
    Having your net calories over 1200 (or slightly higher) will help your body recover from workouts and to keep your metabolism up. Keep your macros in line- yours protein/carbs/fats, but especially your protein will help make sure you are burning fat, not muscle (important when you're in a calorie deficit from diet and exercise). As you get more fit and burn calories more efficiently and are able to do more intense workouts you may need to eat back all those workout calories to feel satisfied or if you're saving them up for a treat.
  • SlimStacey74
    SlimStacey74 Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    I am definately no expert, but IMO, I do believe you should eat some if not about at least half of them back..This is what I try to do..If I have a day where I got alot of exercise, I try to get between 1200-14/1500 net, otherwise I shoot close to my goal. My goal is set to about 1800 now, and I weigh 198 lbs. Hope this helps. This has worked for me so far :) -Stacey
  • jnhu72
    jnhu72 Posts: 558 Member
    Options
    I weigh about the same as you and I have lost all my weight so far by not eating them back. When I was eating some or all of them back, I was barely losing. I burn from 500-1500 calories when I work out though, I'm not sure how much you burn that might make a difference to.
  • 7funnygirl7
    Options
    Thanks again for all your inputs.The new motto in my life is;~ " I will eat to live", not "live to eat"!! Best of Luck to you all. Feel free to add me for support as well.
  • JacksMom12
    JacksMom12 Posts: 1,044 Member
    Options
    Eat your base caloric intake. The other is a bonus.. If you abstain from the extra calories given to you from working out you end up losing more belly fat. That's what I've learned.

What?!?
  • madisonbriggs
    Options
    Definitely don't eat your calories back!!!!!! the point is to burn them off so if you eat them back on then that's defeating the purpose!!!! keep going-you can do it!
  • ironanimal
    ironanimal Posts: 5,922 Member
    Options
    It's like this - two options;
    1. Factor your exercise into your activity level. Don't eat them back.

2. Don't factor them into your activity level. Eat them back.

Reason being is you don't want to create too large a deficit and leave your body no energy to perform it's basic functions with. Choose your poison.
    Definitely don't eat your calories back!!!!!! the point is to burn them off so if you eat them back on then that's defeating the purpose!!!! keep going-you can do it!
    Sigh...
  • irisheyez718
    irisheyez718 Posts: 677 Member
    Options
    I weigh what you weigh. I eat mine back. Why deprive yourself when you don't have to? Plus, I want to keep the muscle that I have, since it burns more calories.
  • AndreaWyland
    AndreaWyland Posts: 142 Member
    Options
    Exercise is not just about making a deficit, big or small, its about building stamina, making your heart strong, cardiovascular health, there are millions I mean MILLIONS of health benefits to exercise... not to mention the muscle you build that DOES burn more fat and calories and LOOKS a hellofa lot better than fat (my personal opinion). So if anyone is struggling with WHY eat back your calories you work so hard to burn think about it like you already have a deficit (mfp makes one for you) so youre not only working for the above reasons but heck I sleep a lot better too:) Some people use it to fight depression and anxiety, etc. There are many many threads on this exact topic already...I WORK OUT! haha:)