PCOS, Metformin(Glucophage) and Weightloss

Options
I have PCOS. My doctor has prescribed Metformin (Glucophage) because I am Insulin Resistant. I was wondering if anyone else is in my same situation and can shed some light on all of these. How does the Met (Glucophage) affect weightloss? How do you feel taking it? What else do you do to put a handle on the PCOS.

Thank you so much for your help.:blushing:

Replies

• Hannah_Banana
    Hannah_Banana Posts: 1,242 Member
    Options
    I have PCOS but I'm not on any kind of medication for it - so I'm really curious to know too!!
  • akellyking77
    akellyking77 Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    I was diagnosed with PCOS at 17 (31) now, but have never been on anything but birth control to help ease symptoms.
  • sincereme
    sincereme Posts: 276
    Options
    I was diagnosed with PCOS at 17 (31) now, but have never been on anything but birth control to help ease symptoms.

I too was on BC for a while but got tired of masking the problem instead of fixing it. I went to my doctor who recommended a low carb diet, exercise 5x's a week and now Metformin. The Met is to help regulate my Insulin. I will start taking it this week. I know that PCOS can cause diabetes, heart failure, etc. I want to get a handle on those before it is too late.
  • timeforchange
    Options
    Hello ladies!
    "Metformin works by reducing glucose production by the liver and increasing the uptake of glucose by the body (i.e., it increases insulin sensitivity)"
    So, from my understanding, since it increases insulin sensitivity, it helps your body burn glucose before it gets stored as fat!
    I'm reading a great book right now called "The new glucose revolution guide to living well with PCOS: lose weight, boost fertility and gain control over polycystic ovarian syndrome with the glycemic index" by Dr Jennie Brand-Miller. I would recommend this book to anyone who has just been Dx'd with PCOS (like me). I'm learning a lot about how I am supposed to be eating. The book mentions metformin a lot and all the info this author is giving is supposed to be followed in addition to taking metformin.. at least that's what I'm geting from it! I'm not on metformin yet (that's our next step if i can't lose weight on my own).
    It's a small book and i bought it off amazon.ca for like $12 bucks or something! Definitely get it!
    Hope that helps,
    Lindsey
  • LeanLioness
    LeanLioness Posts: 1,091 Member
    Options
    I have PCOS. My doctor has prescribed Metformin (Glucophage) because I am Insulin Resistant. I was wondering if anyone else is in my same situation and can shed some light on all of these. How does the Met (Glucophage) affect weightloss? How do you feel taking it? What else do you do to put a handle on the PCOS.

The best thing you can do to get a handle on PCOS and the symptoms is Low Carb and eat as natural of a lifestyle as you possibly can.

If you can afford to do so, buy organic as much as possible. Buy meats, eggs that are free range, grass fed, free of hormones, anti-biotics, etc...............but especially the hormones as it just keeps your own hormones jacked up.....................

If you stick to low carb - you can live medication free within 6 months. I am full blown diabetic and I have almost completely reversed my symptoms by the above mentioned things.
  • sincereme
    Options
    Hello ladies!
    "Metformin works by reducing glucose production by the liver and increasing the uptake of glucose by the body (i.e., it increases insulin sensitivity)"
    So, from my understanding, since it increases insulin sensitivity, it helps your body burn glucose before it gets stored as fat!
    I'm reading a great book right now called "The new glucose revolution guide to living well with PCOS: lose weight, boost fertility and gain control over polycystic ovarian syndrome with the glycemic index" by Dr Jennie Brand-Miller. I would recommend this book to anyone who has just been Dx'd with PCOS (like me). I'm learning a lot about how I am supposed to be eating. The book mentions metformin a lot and all the info this author is giving is supposed to be followed in addition to taking metformin.. at least that's what I'm geting from it! I'm not on metformin yet (that's our next step if i can't lose weight on my own).
    It's a small book and i bought it off amazon.ca for like $12 bucks or something! Definitely get it!
    Hope that helps,
    Lindsey

Thank ou so much. I will look for the Book. The more information the better.
  • anglbebe
    anglbebe Posts: 89 Member
    Options
    That sounds like a good book..... Where did you get it? But I know that when I was diagnosed with PCOS. My doc sent me to the nutritionist. Who basically said your gonna have to eat like a diabetic. I was already a vegetarian, but I wasn't eating like a diabetic. Which is why I was having so many problems. But Metformin and the other things I have been taking have been a real help. I have only been diagnosed since 2005 as PCOS and I'm 31. I wish I knew this earlier.
  • timeforchange
    Options
    That sounds like a good book..... Where did you get it? But I know that when I was diagnosed with PCOS. My doc sent me to the nutritionist. Who basically said your gonna have to eat like a diabetic. I was already a vegetarian, but I wasn't eating like a diabetic. Which is why I was having so many problems. But Metformin and the other things I have been taking have been a real help. I have only been diagnosed since 2005 as PCOS and I'm 31. I wish I knew this earlier.

I ordered the book off Amazon! It was really cheap!
  • missbabybee
    Options
    I know this is an old thread, but my doctor recently put me on metformin even though she hasn't officially diagnosed me with PCOS. I've read a ton of threads out there, but most of them discuss what it does and how to manage your diet to maximize effectiveness. I am wondering if anyone is experiencing all the side effects like I am. I am super nauseated, I got cotton mouth, and I am experiencing...how do I put this without sounding gross...discomfort in the lower intestine. It's so uncomfortable that I can't concentrate while at work and I can't sleep sometimes. It has only been a week, so please, someone, tell me it is going to get better.....

:sick:
  • sincereme
    Options
    Hi missbabybee'

My doctor just switched me to the slow release Metformin because the tummy discomfort was too much for me to handle. Especially since I work. I will start taking it this week. I will let you know how they work. Hopefully better because those side effects were awful.

I really need to lose weight and being insulin resistant doesnt help. Did your doctor tell you anything else?
    I know this is an old thread, but my doctor recently put me on metformin even though she hasn't officially diagnosed me with PCOS. I've read a ton of threads out there, but most of them discuss what it does and how to manage your diet to maximize effectiveness. I am wondering if anyone is experiencing all the side effects like I am. I am super nauseated, I got cotton mouth, and I am experiencing...how do I put this without sounding gross...discomfort in the lower intestine. It's so uncomfortable that I can't concentrate while at work and I can't sleep sometimes. It has only been a week, so please, someone, tell me it is going to get better.....

:sick:
  • cervanli
    Options
    I have PCOS and on Metformin. One of the side effects of having PCOS is weight gain and that is due to the insulin imbalance. I do admit I get nauseous and light headed from the medication but I take Glucose tablets to help. When my blood sugar drops and I have to take a tablet to feel better.

Also, Metformin helps with weight lose.

You need to try to avoid sugar. Drink lots of water and fruit.

- Linda

270698.png
    Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Calorie Calculator
  • July24Lioness
    July24Lioness Posts: 2,399 Member
    Options

Low carb lifestyle is the best thing to do to get a handle on the PCOS and Insulin Resistance.

If you don't start watching carbs closely and eat a pretty natural diet (very little processed foods) you will become diabetic..........

I know, I crossed that line and now trying to cross back over. Please get a handle on it while it is still IR.
  • July24Lioness
    Options
    I have PCOS and on Metformin. One of the side effects of having PCOS is weight gain and that is due to the insulin imbalance. I do admit I get nauseous and light headed from the medication but I take Glucose tablets to help. When my blood sugar drops and I have to take a tablet to feel better.

Also, Metformin helps with weight lose.

You need to try to avoid sugar. Drink lots of water and fruit.

- Linda

270698.png
    Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Calorie Calculator

Eating lots of fruit is not going to help, it will make it worse because of the Insulin Resistance. The biggest thing to do is eat moderate protein and fat, lots of veggies and a little bit of fruit.
  • July24Lioness
    Options

The best thing you can do to get a handle on PCOS and the symptoms is Low Carb and eat as natural of a lifestyle as you possibly can.

If you can afford to do so, buy organic as much as possible. Buy meats, eggs that are free range, grass fed, free of hormones, anti-biotics, etc...............but especially the hormones as it just keeps your own hormones jacked up.....................

If you stick to low carb - you can live medication free within 6 months. I am full blown diabetic and I have almost completely reversed my symptoms by the above mentioned things.

Well, it looks like I repeated myself!!!!

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh: