stress eaters!

Options
Anyone that eats when they are stressed or depressed, is there anything comforting that IS low cal that you reach for?

Replies

• Karrix
    Karrix Posts: 288
    Options
    Pickles, 4-5 calories each. Strawberries 9 calories each. Raspberries 60 cal for 1 cup.

(:
  • MissDana1105
    MissDana1105 Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    Finding something low cal to munch on while stressed or depressed is the wrong answer. You need to work through those feelings not try and cover them up or ignore them otherwise the problem doesn't go away. I don't know your story but it may be a contributing factor to your size and if you don't fix it you aren't going to maintain any weight loss. Sorry if that sounds blunt, I'm trying to be helpful.
  • s1lence
    s1lence Posts: 493
    Options
    I agree with MissDana1105. If you eat when you're stressed then it's going to affect your weight loss, you have to work through the stress/depression in a different way. Exercise is great for both those things since it releases endorphins making you feel better and it helps you with your journey to a healthier you. Good luck. If nothing else instead of eating try drinking water till you feel full. Also a good way to stay on track with weight loss and fill your stomach.
  • aymise
    aymise Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    Along the lines of stress eating (that's how I got where I am), you really should try to find ways to find comfort without the food. I found with myself that I'm only after certain things when I want to stress eat, resulting in me eating the healthy things (a lot of them) and then either not feeling satisfied and just as many calories up, or just caving and eating what I wanted and still being many calories over.
    Ideally exercise is great for stress relief, exercises like yoga can help calm/de-stress you, or high intensity workouts like kickboxing can give you a way to physically take the stress out on your imaginary partner. Other hobbies can help to distract you also- they don't have to be physical.
    If all else fails and you need food, the best way I've found is to either get a small bit of what you really want or replace something high cal with something similar but lower cal:
    Premium ice cream-> a glass of skim milk with a tablespoon of chocolate sauce (even better sugar free)
    Chips -> 1 serving Special K cracker chips
    Cake -> Fiber one fudge brownie
  • dos_treinta_y_cinco
    dos_treinta_y_cinco Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    fuji apples/grapefruits
  • theworldis
    Options
    i agree. i just think while going through the process and learning, if i do slip up and i feel like i need to eat it might as well be something low cal. i think everyone (even people who don't eat when stressed etc..) have moments where they just want something. I absolutely know that my eating when anxious is a huge part of my problem. but thank you
  • fit4everyoung
    Options
    Sip on chicken broth or hot beverage, this helps me recognize that I am not hungry. Lots of water, did I say water...LOL!
  • theworldis
    Options
    thanks everyone, exercise is probably the key. My anxiety is a lot less when i stay on a daily exercise regiment.