Fitbit...to buy or not?

Options

Replies

• smlamb33
    smlamb33 Posts: 342 Member
    Options
    I also LOVE :heart: my Fitbit!! It seems pretty accurate and I LOVE that it syncs with MFP, so there's no guess work with the calories burned from exercise! It keeps me motivated to walk at least 10 flights of stairs everyday and 5 miles everyday!! It's an awesome way to stay motivated!!!
  • junglejd13
    junglejd13 Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    I looked into buying the Fitbit, but if you plan on doing cardio and strength training I recommend a Heart Rate Monitor. I got the Polar ft60, ($125) and I love it! It has an integrated training program into it and depending on your goals (weight loss, fitness improvement) along with your personal body indicators (height, weight, fitness test(all you do is relax for 5 min) it gives you goals in zones to train in that are based on your heart rate. It counts every calorie, even if you aren't in a zone so I find it to be very accurate. It comes with a band you wear around your chest, which is super comfortable, I forget I have it on. It is also good for doing things like walking, there are some really helpful reviews on amazon http://www.amazon.com/Polar-Womens-Heart-Monitor-Purple/dp/B001F0PVNA/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1331350517&sr=8-1 However, you can get it cheaper from bodytronics.com and free shipping with code POPO I believe. I feel that for an extra 25 bucks it offers more than the fitbit, but it would be cool to see the info about sleeping. Hope this helps!
  • Hannova
    Hannova Posts: 50
    Options
    I've had one for about two weeks - shortly before I signed on here. The Fitbit Ultra comes with a wriststrap (for monitoring your sleep cycles), a clip attachment (that I don't use) and free use of the website that integrates with MFP.

I must enter my food diary here, and it shows up on FitBit.com. I also enter my exercise here on MFP. I put my weigh in values on both sites (doesn't seem to synch that). My amount of steps taken, distance walked shows up here and is credited to my calorie allowance as calories burned. Stairs climbed will show up as calories burned as well.

I generally wear it on my bra, right near the center, and I ignore it all day. It has a USB attachment for your computer, and when you are within 15 feet of it, it will automatically upload your stats to the website. It kept the initial charge for almost 2 weeks. I did forget to wear it today, and I did forget to turn it into sleep mode last night. But the website is pretty forgiving: when I put in the hours I thought I was asleep for, the FitBit supplied information on my activity levels for that time and calculated my sleep pattern anyway.

Pretty cool!

I find it's a motivator. When I look at my activity levels for the day when I get home, and I've only climbed 7 flights of stairs, and walked only 3000 steps, I've had a crappy day, and I will go out and walk some more.

I wish my relatives would all get one: we're a competitive lot, and seeing the tally on a website is bound to spark a little Fitbit throwdown!
  • stc74
    stc74 Posts: 297 Member
    Options
    I haven't had very much luck with pedometers, possibly due to fused back making me walk with less movement in the hip area. Has anyone who has this issue had better luck with the fitbit? I agree that HRMs aren't convienent to use much of the time.
  • cschmidt45
    Options
    Thanks so much to those that added me as a friend! Thanks for all the wonderful input on the Fitbit as well. Seems most of you are pretty pleased with it and the functionality it offers, sooo I just ordered one for arrival on Monday. Now I cant wait to get it!:flowerforyou:
  • cclark1203
    cclark1203 Posts: 244 Member
    Options
    There is a group in the Community called "fitbit users". There are over 2500 members and you can get alot of your questions answered there. I have been wearing a fitbit for a couple of months now and find it very useful. It is confusing at first in that Fitbit gives you credit on MFP for all of your activity. I don't pay attention to the calories earned by just everyday stuff and only count my organized exercise as my extra calories for the day.
  • SkinnieFinnie
    SkinnieFinnie Posts: 145 Member
    Options
    I have it & LOVE it!

FYI: I bought mine on eBay.. you can find one cheaper there. Mine has never fallen off. I wear it 24/7 (except when I'm in the shower - then it's on the charger).. Highly recommend it!
  • eradik
    eradik Posts: 11
    Options
    Love love love my Fitbit. I can say with confidence that it works. Things I do that I never did before:

Took the stairs (the Ultra has a meter for how many flights of stairs you go up, so I try to take stairs as often as possible now)

Park in the spot farthest away from the store. Gets me a few more steps in, which the Fitbit also tracks.

Pace at work when I'm stuck in a spot (I work retail, so if I am at a register or somewhere that I normally would just stand, now I walk around when not helping someone)

These are just a few of the pluses.

There is one negative. It seems that Fitbit/MFP linking breaks all the damn time. Annoying as hell, down a day or three generally, but it sucks. I put my lifestyle at sedentary so that when I walk/move a lot with the Fitbit, it syncs those calories back to me and I get an adjustment. Thats why I normally don't log any exercise unless it's intensive. Fitbit does it all for me, except when its down.
  • Caged_Heat
    Caged_Heat Posts: 1,031 Member
    Options
    I agree with a lot of the comments here. I think it depends on your needs. An HRM may be better for actual workouts I am told.

I use it for tracking walking and climbing stairs. It does have a nice web site with lots of data. It syncs with MFP and will make the one-time adjustment on your exercise page if you go over the calories burned with normal activity set by MFP. For example, if your MFP normal burn is 2200 calories a day and you burn 2500 according to FitBit, it will make an adjustment (I think after midnight) of 300 calories. If you don't reach your 2200 level, it will not do anything. Hope that makes sense.

As far as the clip goes, I was using the clip that came with it and was nervous about losing it. Then I realized that the clip was for thick clothing, belts etc. You don't HAVE to use it. The device itself is a clip and slips easily over the lip of your pocket, or whatever. It is snug and I don't worry at all anymore.

However, you do have to remember not to throw it in the laundry with your clothes because it will NOT survive the washing machine!

The technology is a mystery to me. How it knows you are taking steps, I do not know. I can hold it steady in my hand and walk around the house at it will record every step. I read it uses an altimeter (like in a plane) to calculate heights (stairs, hills, etc) going up only though. Going down stairs is regular steps.

If you ride a bike like me, clip it to your hip. I tried it on my collar and it did not seem to work well.

While it is a motivator to some degree for me, I can't say it makes me want to get out and walk every day. I can still easily talk myself out of it!

Good luck!

15800624.png
    Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Nutrition Facts For Foods
  • Caged_Heat
    Caged_Heat Posts: 1,031 Member
    Options
    There is one negative. It seems that Fitbit/MFP linking breaks all the damn time. Annoying as hell, down a day or three generally, but it sucks.

That's interesting. I just came home and plugged mine in and am waiting to see if it shows on MFP. I am thinking I have to wait until after midnight. Maybe that is why you think it's down? Is it really "a day or three" or is it because of the midnight deadline? You could compare your FitBit dailies with the MFP daily excercise diary and see if they match up.
  • kcoftx
    kcoftx Posts: 765 Member
    Options
    I'm waiting for mine to come in the mail. I'm also waiting for my HRM. They are two very different products.
  • 3Sarah333
    3Sarah333 Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    LOVE LOVE LOVE IT! Even when I'm tired, I look at my fitbit...see if I've done my personal goal of steps for the day, floors for the day and milage for the day. If I haven't I push myself. It says (reads) (not outloud) little messages here & there too to motivate you.
    The customer service with it is amazing. For some reason mine went capooey on me & they sent me a free one, no shipping, right away. I love that it tracks & syncs with MFP... I can't image life without MFP OR my Fitbit now!!!!
  • jennieemily
    Options
    Hi Cindy! Welcome! I have a Fitbit and I love it! It's a huge motivator for me. Sometimes I wonder a bit about it's accuracy, but at this point I don't see the steps as the actual number of steps I've walked but rather my activity level throughout the day. I work as a cook, so I'm typically at 12,000 to 15,000 steps a day, gym days is around 20,000. Last night I had 17,500 steps at 10pm, and I was so close to 20,000, so I got my friend to walk another 2500 steps with me. When I got home, I saw that I was at 19 flights of stairs, which was 190% of my goal. So, barefoot and in my pajamas, I ran downstairs and then back up to get to 200%. Going back and forth between Fitbit and MFP is a little time consuming, but it's become part of my daily routine, and so I am gaining more and more awareness of my health, and that's what matters most to me! I am very grateful for my Fitbit and for MFP because I'm seeing results and feeling better than I've felt in years!!

Lot's of luck to you, no matter what you decide! :)
  • Rachelito
    Rachelito Posts: 119 Member
    Options
    After reading up on it and checking out reviews I personally decided to just order a pedometer that measures steps, distance and calories burned and a heartrate monitor. Together they were $50 and do exactly what I was looking for. Amazon reviews for the Fitbit are great though, everyone seems to really like it.
  • ShellyShuey
    ShellyShuey Posts: 162
    Options
    I strongly recommend it.

I bought one about 3 weeks ago and it is an awesome motivator -- my daughter is obese, I bought one for her as well. The fitbit and MFP 'talk' to one another, so your cal intake is adjusted based on what the fitbit is tracking in addition to the exercise you log. For example, one of the fitbit goals is to climb 5 flights of stairs a day. At first that was hard for me. Now I routinely log 25 stairs. You are constantly competing with yourself to get better and better.

Love it.
  • abhiforlife
    abhiforlife Posts: 75 Member
    Options
    uhhh....i lost mine after having it for like 2 weeks.....so.....i don't recommend it. It kept falling off, even with the included clip. waste of money.

I've had one for 6 weeks and it's only come off while I'm asleep (all that rolling must have done it), but it stays on my jeans/trousers without issue, even while playing racquetball.

I really like my Fitbit, it's a great motivational tool. Be warned, it's not accurate for tracking calories burned beyond running/walking. It really pushes me to incorporate walking time throughout the day, not just schedule it for one push in the morning or evening.
  • ZumbaLin
    ZumbaLin Posts: 87 Member
    Options
    Hubby got me mine for Valentine's day and I've worn it every day since. Havent had any trouble with it falling off, except at night until I read you can slip the whole thing into the slot on the arm band and that does the trick! My sister just got one and is loving it. Hubby wants one now. It totally motivates you to MOVE!! Great investment. I also like the sleep tracker. Great to use in conjunction with MFP too.
  • mccarol1956
    mccarol1956 Posts: 422 Member
    Options
    So excited that mine should be at the post office in the morning!! First thing I plan on doing is picking it up!
  • juliekaiser1988
    juliekaiser1988 Posts: 604 Member
    Options
    I adore my Fitbit. When mine broke about a month ago, the company shipped me a brand new one right away- no charge. I am lost when I'm not wearing it- awake or asleep!!

It's freakin' awesome!!
  • juliekaiser1988
    juliekaiser1988 Posts: 604 Member
    Options
    I'm not sure how anyone loses thiers... or how some people have trouble keeping it on at night. I've had neither problem. Not once. And I've had mine since last summer.