How to fall asleep earlier

Options
zachbonner
zachbonner Posts: 4,285 Member
Hi guys, what with midterms just finishing up soon and whatnot my sleep schedule has been all out of whack with all nighters and the such. Do you guys have any tips for falling asleep earlier at night?

Replies

• ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,708 Member
    Options
    Yep. Dark room, quiet and just go to sleep earlier.

A.C.E. Certified Personal Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 28+ years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • amandammmq
    amandammmq Posts: 394 Member
    Options
    For years, I had been going to sleep way too late, waking up tired. Two months ago, I decided that this was a ridiculous way to live. In addition, I am not that great a sleeper; I wake up 1-3 times a night guaranteed.

Anyway, I have greatly improved my situation by:

-setting a sleep schedule and sticking to it. Electronics off by 10, in bed by 10:30.
    -NO NAPS.
    -limiting liquids before bed so I don't have to get up in the middle of the night.
    -Get up at the same time every morning.

You have to stick to the schedule. Even if you get into bed early and don't fall asleep for a bajillion years, you still have to get up early in the morning.

It took a few weeks for me to really adjust, but if you don't have sleep problems like I do, it will probably take a much shorter time!
  • zasiiniya
    zasiiniya Posts: 100 Member
    Options
    Melatonin! :)
  • onequirkygirl
    onequirkygirl Posts: 303 Member
    Options
    I'm currently under the influence of one Unisom. Makes the difference of falling asleep with an hour and falling asleep at 3 am for me! Also Melatonin works really well, and is completely natural--that's what your body makes on its own to fall asleep.

I used to work twelve hour night shifts, that's the only reason why I have experience with sleep aides.

Yes, you can buy Melatonin in the vitamin/supplement aisle. I know NatureMade makes it. No more than like 10 bucks, if that. One is enough. Totally safe and effective :)
  • Glamour60Xtreme
    Options
    Bump, I really need to use this!
  • jnhu72
    jnhu72 Posts: 558 Member
    Options
    Melatonin! :)

I was recommended Melatonin by my old trainer. It works great for most people, but I happen to be one of the few that have a not so great effect of it. When I take it, without fail I wake up at 3 a.m. every morning and can not fall back asleep. I thought it was weird but if you Google it, it comes up. I have downloaded some of the sound apps-like rain, the ocean, thunderstorms etc. that smart phones have and I have found those help me get to sleep.
  • onequirkygirl
    onequirkygirl Posts: 303 Member
    Options
    You could get one of those lavender bunnies that you heat in the microwave, and snuggle up to- in case the Melatonin issue happens...
  • alise_lmx
    alise_lmx Posts: 292 Member
    Options
    Wake up really early. If I wake up at 5am I am ready for bed by 8:00pm!