Oatmeal recipes, anyone?

Options

Replies

• roadworthy
    roadworthy Posts: 130
    Options
    I make a double batch (6 servings) cooked for only 15minutes cause I like them chewy and pour into a square bread pan. When they are cool I cut them into six squares and store them in my fridge. Every morning just heat one square in the microwave for 2 minutes and you have a quick easy healthy breakfast.

Such a great idea, thanks so much for sharing:)
  • jmp33
    jmp33 Posts: 95 Member
    Options
    My favorite is to take 1/2 cup rolled oats, 1/2 cup water, 1/2 cup skim milk. cook at a low heat. When almost thickened to where I like, I add a handful of blueberries, a tablespoon of vanilla coffee creamer and a dash of cinnamon. Cook for another 5 minutes and enjoy!
  • dasblondie
    dasblondie Posts: 100 Member
    Options
    bump
  • bmorton82
    bmorton82 Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    Baked Oatmeal with Blueberries and Bananas - yum!

This is a great recipe that I make on Sunday nights and it lasts me nearly all week. It's flavorful and can be changed up with different berries and nuts. The site www.skinnytaste.com has great, health conscious recipes with nutritional breakdowns!

http://www.skinnytaste.com/2012/01/baked-oatmeal-with-blueberries-and.html
  • jessilyn76
    jessilyn76 Posts: 532 Member
    Options
    When I started my journey of clean eating a couple of months ago, the first book I read suggested oatmeal as a good start to your day. Since then I have tried it many different way and have come to really enjoy it each morning. My favorite cam from thegraciouspantry.com and I just had it for the third day in a row, I like it so much.

Clean pumpkin pie oatmeal

1 serving of your favorite oats (rolled or steel cut) cooked as called for in recipe on container (i make mine with almond milk)
    2 tbsp ground flaxseed
    1/2 tsp ground cinnamon
    1/4 tsp ground nutmeg
    1/2 tsp pure vanilla extract
    1/4 cup pure pumpkin
    1 1/2 tbsp pure maple syrup

Cook the oatmeal and add the ingredients listed after..........delicious!!!
  • tkaawa
    tkaawa Posts: 302
    Options
    I get the Best Yet Instant Oatmeal Packaging. I eye ball it with the water and use a couple of equal packages... i never used to like oatmeal also, but as i continue on this road of success, i've become very fond of it and i look forward to my breakfast in the morning. hope this helps:-)
  • bargmannr
    bargmannr Posts: 15
    Options
    Tropical Overnight Oats! Here's one I like to use for dessert or as a splurge because it's a bit higher in calories but SO good and the calories come from very nutritious food.

1/2 c. old fashioned oats
    1/2 banana, mashed
    1/2 mango diced
    1 cup unsweetened almond milk (try the coconut flavored almond milk for extra tropical feel!)
    1 stevia packet

Combine all ingredients, cover and let sit in the fridge overnight, or at least 4 hours. Eat cold out of the fridge. At first eating cold oatmeal seems strange but it is so delicious and dessert like. Mmmm! It's making me hungry just writing this!
  • MaryGebhard
    MaryGebhard Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    This is my favorite oatmeal recipe, Baked Oatmeal with Cranberries and Pecans. They're bars and are great for home or on the go.

http://recipes.sparkpeople.com/recipe-detail.asp?recipe=917634
  • leahbhollifield
    Options
    Bump
  • vacherin
    vacherin Posts: 192
    Options
    These aren't really "recipes" as such but I love sprinkling oatmeal onto my virtuous breakfast of blueberries and sliced almonds - keeps me going for much longer than the same breakfast without the oatmeal. I also use oatmeal in recipes in place of breadcrumbs. They make a great coating for fishcakes (sounds foul but works!).
  • gooiyw
    gooiyw Posts: 114 Member
    Options
    These are fantastic ideas, guys! Keep 'em coming! I'm definitely gonna try the crockpot version as I like to pack my breakfasts to work with me and hardly have any prep time in the mornings when I'm rushing to the gym first. :drinker: MFPians, you're awesome!!
  • rebeccaboise
    rebeccaboise Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    Bump
  • annettehoyt
    annettehoyt Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    chocolatecoveredkatie.com has some great and delicious oatmeal recipes and also ohsheglows.com has some dressed up oatmeal recipes! She does a lot with rolled oats, and has a lot of fun overnight oats recipes, like carrot cake oatmeal, apple pie oatmeal, chocolate cookie dough oatmeal, banana pie oatmeal, etc. I can't wait to try some out! Oh and she is vegan and very health conscious! Enjoy!
  • gooiyw
    gooiyw Posts: 114 Member
    Options
    Yeah, I kinda figured oatmeal's the way to go as with my current breakfasts, I'm super hungry by lunch. Chocolatecoveredkatie.com. Got it! :happy:
  • essjay76
    essjay76 Posts: 465 Member
    Options
    I usually hate oatmeal but have recently tried to eat more of the stuff. So I found ways to bump up the flavor and nutritional value ...

If you aren't afraid of spice, try making a variety of "Moroccan" style oatmeal. Dried fruits and spices are big in Moroccan cuisine.

Add some stuff like:
    walnuts
    golden raisins
    dates
    brown sugar
    nutmeg
    curry powder
    cardamom

delicious!
  • CherylPierce
    CherylPierce Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    There have been a lot of great ideas here. I'm afraid I can't help. I love oatmeal plain and mushy. :-)
  • reneeileen
    reneeileen Posts: 455 Member
    Options
    Oatmeal Smoothie
    http://www.marthastewart.com/851771/oatmeal-smoothies

Yield
    Serves 2-4
    Add to Shopping List
    Ingredients

1 cup ice
    1/2 cup frozen raspberries
    1/2 cup plain lowfat yogurt
    1 banana
    1/2 cup old-fashioned rolled oats
    1 tablespoon honey
    1 cup coconut water (or other liquid, such as juice)
    Directions

Place ice and raspberries in the bottom of blender, and all other ingredients on top. Whir until completely smooth. Serve.
  • eodvarka
    eodvarka Posts: 30
    Options
    This might sound really weird, but when I was hitting the gym a lot, I ALWAYS craved chocolate and oatmeal. So, I decided, why not combine them? I would put some oatmeal in a bowl, cook it according to the directions in the microwave, then add a pinch of salt, a few tablespoons of cocoa powder, and some instant sugar-free fat-free chocolate Jello pudding mix for some sweetness. It came out to be a thick bowl of chocolatey heaven!
    When I'm craving something sweeter/less rich, I cook some oatmeal with some slices of green apple together, then add cinnamon, nutmeg, salt, and brown sugar. SO good, and it's a great dessert if paired with whipped cream/maybe some vanilla ice cream? hehe
  • jenj1313
    jenj1313 Posts: 898 Member
    Options
    Coach's Oats (Costco) have a much better texture than regular oatmeal. Steel cut oats also have a great texture, but take longer to cook. I add berries (frozen, also costco), and walnuts or almonds + a teaspoon of brown sugar. And I usually eat it for dinner b/c I work long hours, and it's quick, cheap and filing.
  • jenj1313
    jenj1313 Posts: 898 Member
    Options
    This might sound really weird, but when I was hitting the gym a lot, I ALWAYS craved chocolate and oatmeal. So, I decided, why not combine them? I would put some oatmeal in a bowl, cook it according to the directions in the microwave, then add a pinch of salt, a few tablespoons of cocoa powder, and some instant sugar-free fat-free chocolate Jello pudding mix for some sweetness. It came out to be a thick bowl of chocolatey heaven!
    When I'm craving something sweeter/less rich, I cook some oatmeal with some slices of green apple together, then add cinnamon, nutmeg, salt, and brown sugar. SO good, and it's a great dessert if paired with whipped cream/maybe some vanilla ice cream? hehe

Oooo... never thought of using pudding mix / cocoa. Good idea!