Cheap foods? :U

Options

Replies

• danmoffett
    Options
    Check out my blog for links to information mentioned below.

"I can't afford to eat healthy." I hear this all the time. It's true, food costs are going up.
    For most of our married life, my wife did all the shopping. Now that I have to, I see the increases every time I shop.
    While shopping at a big grocery chain, I like to observe what people are buying. Next time you go shopping take a look at what folks have in their carts. It's mostly JUNK. 
Billions of dollars are spent on junk food and fast food every year in this country. Because of the lies we've been fed by our government, even when people think they are buying healthy food they buy JUNK. They pay extra for whole wheat bread, low fat food; fruit that's shipped hundreds or thousands of miles, and so on.
    See an article online called "What Has Government Done to Our Health?"
    Read an article in The New York Times by Gary Taubes called "What if It's All Been a Big Fat Lie?"
    And again, the USDA food pyramid has killed thousands and cost us trillions in health care costs. The Weston A Price Foundation offers a critique of the 2010 USDA Dietary Guidelines. They spoke at the National Press Club on Feb. 14, 2011. It's a 13 part video on YouTube. WATCH IT ALL.

There is plenty of good research to prove that eating carbs makes you want to eat more. You get hungry faster and are never satisfied. Again, read the book called "Wheat Belly", you'll find the link in an earlier blog. You can read the first few chapters free on Amazon.com

Here is a quote from www.rawfoodexplained.com
    "Not only do these junk foods and fast foods cost money to eat, but the after-effects of consuming such foods often results in additional money being spent. Indigestion, headaches, colds, hemorrhoids, colitis, and many other ailments may be traced to junk food consumption. The average person may spend another $5 per week just on "medicine cabinet" remedies or over-the-counter drugs for these illnesses that result from such foods.
    A year of junk food eating also typically results in about six new cavities and a tooth needing capping or pulling, according to figures from Army dentists. This translates into an average $10 per week for dental care.
    We still do not know the costs of medical expenses that accumulate because junk food eaters go to their doctors, nor can we accurately figure in how many lost days of work result from such a diet. Even so, the total costs of eating junk food for a year are impressive. Consider these 'figures:

Annual Costs of a Junk Food Diet
    Junk foods $832
    Fast foods $936
    Drugs and Medication $260
    Dental Bills $520
    Medical Bills (estimate) $250
    Days lost from work (estimate) $350
    Total yearly loss of income from junk foods $3,148

By eliminating junk foods from the diet, a person would realize enough yearly savings to purchase a new car every three years. He or she would have more energy, a higher level of health and well- being, and literally extra years to enjoy such benefits. No one really knows how much junk foods shorten the lifespan, but it would probably not be unrealistic to use the same figures that are often quoted for cigarette smokers. Every cigarette smoked means a 15-minute decrease in your life. Junk foods, with all their poisons and additives, may be more harmful than smoking and it would not be unreasonable to assume for every bag of cookies or quart of ice cream, you're knocking off hours, days, and weeks of your life."

From www.dietdoctor.com, the following:
    "The problem of sugar and starch"
    "All digestible carbohydrates are broken down to simple sugars in the intestines. The sugar is absorbed into the blood, raising the blood glucose. This increases the production of the hormone insulin. And insulin is our fat storing hormone.
    Insulin is produced in the pancreas. In large amounts insulin prevents fat burning and stores surplus nutrients in the fat cells. After some time (a few hours or less) this may result in a shortage of nutrients in the blood, creating feelings of hunger and cravings for something sweet. Usually at that point people eat some more. That starts the process again, a vicious cycle leading to weight gain.
    A low intake of carbohydrates gives you a lower and more stable blood glucose, and lower amounts of insulin. This increases the release of fat from your fat stores and increases the fat burning. This usually gives fat loss, especially around the tummy in abdominally obese individuals."

OK we know that junk food is bad for us and costs us thousands of dollars a year. We know that eating carbs/sugars makes us want to eat more.
    The solution? Simple, eat more meat and less carbs. Here are a few ways to eat better for less.
    When you decide to stop buying the junk, you'll free up all that money for good food. 
There are ways of buying the good food for less. Many areas have food cooperatives. You join with others in buying food in bulk. Check your area. Try a web site called www.LocalHarvest.org at, http://www.localharvest.org/food-coops/
    Another great web site is www.eatwild.com. A site where you can buy locally produced food. I've found that I can buy grass fed organic beef, chickens, and lamb at a greatly reduced price. Along with locally grown produce.

You can have fresh greens all year long with inexpensive sprouts. 
The cost of sprouting seeds is substantially less than the cost of buying the mature plant at the grocery. A tablespoon of lettuce seeds costs about 60 cents, and provide nearly as much bulk as a small head of lettuce, which can cost around $2.00 at the store.
    Another way to obtain good food is through barter. I sell Kentucky Whiskey Barrels, rain barrels, barrel planters, and barrel parts. One day I sent an email to all the stores selling sprouting seeds that I could find on line. I offered to trade my product for theirs. One company agreed and I traded 2 half whiskey barrel planters for a big box of assorted sprouting seeds. I'm going to try the same with other food producers.

Lets talk of the benefits of eating low cost readily available sprouts.
    From http://www.energiseforlife.com/sprouting_benefits.php the following:
    Sprouting Seeds: The Ultimate Food
    Sprouts are one of the most alkalising, nutritious and easily accessible foods know to man. Being rich in vitamins, minerals, proteins and enzymes, they can be grown easily in four to six days and require no effort and very little cost.

A sprout possesses all of the energy, vitamins and nutrients and power that enables it to be transformed from a small seed into a strong plant. At this stage its nutritional value is at its highest for instance, sprouted seeds can contain 400% more protein than lettuce and over 3900% more beta-carotine.
    Also, due to their size and taste you are able to eat hundreds of sprouted seeds at a time. In so many sprouts, you are eating the equivalent of hundreds of fully grown plants all at once – when else would you be able to get the goodness of one hundred mature plants in one meal?!
    Studies have also shown that broccoli and other types of sprout contain exceptionally high levels of a natural cancer fighting compound called sulforaphane (20 – 50 times more than in mature broccoli) which helps support antioxidants such as vitamin C and vitamin E.

Sprouted Seeds: Raw, Crisp and Delicious
    Sprouts are an alkalizing, living food which continue to grow and gain vitamins after being harvested, which when compared to food bought at the supermarket which begins to lose their nutrient content as soon as they are picked (and are not then consumed for weeks on end) become very attractive – especially if you are trying to add more raw food to your diet.
    They are great to be eaten on their own, used in salads and stir-fry's or juiced into your green drink.

Sprouts: Packed With Nutrients
    The nutritious value of sprouts is remarkable with sprouts containing a greater concentration of vitamins, minerals, proteins, enzymes, phytochemicals, anti-oxidants, nitrosmines, trace minerals, bioflavinoids and chemo-protectants (such as sulphoraphane and isoflavone) which work against toxins, resist cell mutation and invigorate the body’s immune system than at any other point in the plant’s life – even when the plant is fully matured.
    The abundant enzymes in sprouts also makes them easily digestible as their delicate cell walls easily release elemental nutrients.
    Many different types of sprout are available including alfalfa, broccoli, little radish, mung bean and a range of mixes including fitness mix, gourmet mix and aromatic mix.

Bottom line, we spend too much on junk food. Cut out the junk. Spend a little time learning what is good and buy only good food. You'll save money.

WHEAT IS JUNK, IT'S KILLING YOU AND MAKING YOU FAT.
    SUGAR IS KILLING YOU AND MAKING YOU FAT.
    CUT IT OUT, SAVE $$$$ AND FEEL BETTER.

Count the Costs. Be healthy. Eat healthy.
  • bademasi
    bademasi Posts: 180 Member
    Options
    bump
  • kristinL16
    kristinL16 Posts: 401 Member
    Options
    What is your weekly grocery budget? I can't think of many meals that would be cheaper than Ramen or pasta. If that is all you can afford based on your current budget, I would rethink your total spending and find more money for food. I don't know how many people are in your family or if you are single, but I usually spend about $100 per week for a family of 6 (although one is a baby and doesn't eat anything).

I think sticking to a tight grocery budget is about being a smart shopper as well as a smart cook. Find the cheapest stores in your area. You may need to go to more than one store depending on what is on sale, but find the deals. If you have an Aldi near you, you will find great deals. I usually shop there first then go to Walmart for the rest of my food (I buy lots of produce at Aldi and want to see what they have that day, then will fill in other produce at Walmart if need be).

As for the cooking, you have gotten some good advice regarding making things ahead of time, buying cheaper cuts of meat to make in a crockpot, buying dry beans, eggs or tuna as inexpensive forms of protein. Planning meals before shopping can save money as well since you will be prepared and have the things on hand that you need, reducing the number of trips to the store each week.
  • FlaxMilk
    FlaxMilk Posts: 3,452 Member
    Options
    Lentils are just about one of the cheapest truly healthy foods I can think of. Dump them in a rice cooker the same way you'd cook white rice and forget about them until it beeps. I like to eat mine rolled in a wrap with mustard and (formerly frozen) veggies like peas and peppers and spinach. There are lots of recipes for lentils though. They work well in slow cookers too.

If you are willing to prep, buy some dry chickpeas. Soak them overnight, then throw them in a slow cooker on high for about four hours. Throw them in a container you can shake, add oil to taste (the teeniest amount to whatever), add whatever spices you want (just salt, salt and vinegar, spicy, whatever), and bake on a cookie sheet at 425 or 450. Depending on your oven, could take 20 minutes or more. Just keep an eye on them until you get a feel for how long they will take. They are done when they are crispy and crunchy.
  • almonds1
    almonds1 Posts: 642 Member
    Options
    eggs.... straight up!!
  • jenj1313
    jenj1313 Posts: 898 Member
    Options
    You can try eggs and meats when its on sale. Some of the cheaper cuts are also good when prepared well. Fruits and veg aren't always too bad if you try to buy seasonal.

I try to eat eggs a couple of times per week for dinner. At $1.09 for a dozen, I can get 3 dinners (1 whole egg, 3 whites) out of a carton. That's a lot cheaper than any meat. I add whatever veggies I find on sale -- usually frozen because they're cheaper. I go for the "basics"... broccoli, spinach, etc rather than fancy mixes. Check the price by ounce.

I also go to Costco and buy huge bags of frozen veggies. They keep for ever and are a lot cheaper in the long run.

Oatmeal with frozen berries from Costco is another cheap meal that I tend to eat 2-3x per week. They have a brand of oatmeal called "Coach's Oats" that is awesome... it's got much better texture than regular oatmeal.

I also try to plan my meals for the week ahead... I just jot them on a post it pad on my fridge. That way, I don't have to think too hard about what to eat and I"m not tempted to go out.

Hope that helps :-)
  • SunnyAndrsn
    SunnyAndrsn Posts: 369 Member
    Options
    We make a meal plan and stick to it, for the most part. Some of this is based on the in store specials, some is based on what we feel like. We spent a lot on meats this week, but it will last quite a while. Roast meat was on sale, so I bought several pounds and will split it into 1/2 pound sizes for the crockpot--4 meals for 2 ppl.

Shop the sales, plan ahead, and look at your nutritional goals.
  • Becky_Boodle
    Becky_Boodle Posts: 253 Member
    Options

I do not season my food because that is just extra calories, just light salt maybe some pepper! bam!

There are so many no calorie, no sodium seasonings out there...why wouldn't you season your meats????
    I found an amazing roasted garlic one from PC :)
    Ms. Dash has some good ones too :)
  • ariant23
    ariant23 Posts: 161 Member
    Options
    basic costco memberships are now $55/year, so that may not be in your budget. if you know someone with a membership, tag along. we get almost all our produce / meat there. not everything at costco is a good deal but their produce is 99/100 the best deal and the best quality. you can usually get 2 lbs of blueberries for the same cost of two of the little grocery store sized containers at the grocery store.
    we usually buy: a thing of 12 apples ($8), 5/10lb bag of sweet onions (~$1.50/lb), 6pk yellow/red/orange peppers $7, 6pk romaine $3.50, 2lb snap peas / green beans / asparagus $5, 2 lbs cherry tomatoes $5, one other random fruit purchase. we eat lots of raw veggies in our house so frozen / canned isn't always an "option". but we're at a point in our lives now that we're finally not starving students. i remember those days. pick up the coupons from a starbucks on a sunday morning (just look through the papers left around), dont forget to grab the grocery store ads too, some times they have extra coupons.
    Can you improv cook? I often purchase what's on sale, and as i'm grabbing it, think about what I can do with it.

As for "freezer meals".... they can be calorie healthy, I use them on days i dont feel like measuring and weighing everything i put on my plate. but i keep a bunch of fresh parsley and fresh cilantro in my fridge almost all the time. i chop up a handful of whichever matches the flavor of the meal and it's so much better. if i can, i'll add in something like a few chopped tomatoes for a bit more freshness.
  • Le_Joy
    Le_Joy Posts: 593 Member
    Options
    I agree with beans, lentils and on sale produce - fresh or frozen!
  • Kresent
    Kresent Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    It's not often I find something truly helpful online. I'm going to make falafel flavored chickpeas from your recipe. I can't wait for tomorrow to try it. Thank you so much.

Lentils are just about one of the cheapest truly healthy foods I can think of. Dump them in a rice cooker the same way you'd cook white rice and forget about them until it beeps. I like to eat mine rolled in a wrap with mustard and (formerly frozen) veggies like peas and peppers and spinach. There are lots of recipes for lentils though. They work well in slow cookers too.

If you are willing to prep, buy some dry chickpeas. Soak them overnight, then throw them in a slow cooker on high for about four hours. Throw them in a container you can shake, add oil to taste (the teeniest amount to whatever), add whatever spices you want (just salt, salt and vinegar, spicy, whatever), and bake on a cookie sheet at 425 or 450. Depending on your oven, could take 20 minutes or more. Just keep an eye on them until you get a feel for how long they will take. They are done when they are crispy and crunchy.
  • 0EmmeNicole0
    0EmmeNicole0 Posts: 180 Member
    Options
    I am also on a budget so i like to buy cost friendly healthy options. Switching to whole grain from enriched products isn't more costly. If they are the same brands (make sure they are not enriched or processed - check labels) they can costs about the same. I switched from canned veggies to frozen. If you buy the store brand of frozen veggies it low cost and just as good as name brands. Tuna and beans (Dry beans) in bags are super cheap, and you get a lot more that way then in the cans. IF you buy eggs and meats on sale you can get extra lean varieties if you know when to get them. Turkey bacon and sausage cost the same as pork bacon and sausage. Simple switches won't cost you much money. What you don't spend on processed foods and snacks you can spend to get fresh veggies and lean meats. Also if you are eating out less you can pinch pinnies there and used money saved to buy dairy and protein products as well. Read your ads when they come on Sunday and go shopping according to the ads. At first i thought that eating healthy would cost more, but actually it seems as though i have saved money. Especially since i'm not eating out, and drinking only water, lemonade and tea, and i drink my coffee at work (it's free). I haven't had to buy any beverages for months. Also pre plan your meals, make a list, and stick to it.
  • JamzPurse
    JamzPurse Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    I don't know if you have an Aldi near you but you can usually find some good deals there on fruits, veggies, eggs, fish, meat, and "diet" foods. Also if you have any asian or mexican markets around go in and look around meat is often very inexpensive at those stores as are their specialty items. I feed a family of 5 for about $175/week. I have learned where to go for what I need. As long as the stores are nearby it is worth it.
  • reneeileen
    reneeileen Posts: 455 Member
    Options
    Eggs, frozen veggies, oatmeal, and whatever is on sale.

Make a weekly menu ahead of time. Planning saves lots of money.
  • milaxx
    milaxx Posts: 1,122 Member
    Options
    I feel like losing weight is so expensive. :/ And literally all I eat is carbs- pasta, rice, bagels, ramen. Is there anything I can buy that's affordable but not super fattening? >_>
    Seek out your local produce market or Farmer's market. My produce market sell 3 dozen eggs for $3 - $4 depending on the market and I can get 2 full bags of fresh fruit and veg for $20. In the summer when fruit is cheap I buy berries and freeze so I can make smoothies year round. It's not easy but it's doable.
  • milaxx
    milaxx Posts: 1,122 Member
    Options

I do not season my food because that is just extra calories, just light salt maybe some pepper! bam!

There are so many no calorie, no sodium seasonings out there...why wouldn't you season your meats????
    I found an amazing roasted garlic one from PC :)
    Ms. Dash has some good ones too :)
    THIS. I buy the basics, garlic powder, onion powder and chili powder. Often times if I add the garlic and onion I don't need the salt. No added calories and no added sodium.
  • SammyKatt
    SammyKatt Posts: 364 Member
    Options
    I save money when I eat healthy. Frozen veggies are ALWAYS on sale around me and Costco had the cheapest meat and salad mixes!
  • tawnny6
    tawnny6 Posts: 4
    Options
    Exactly...good luck ..
  • islandjumper
    islandjumper Posts: 369 Member
    Options
    I'm a student with a very low food budget, so I feel your pain, but here's what I do:
    Frozen veggies - for stir fry's - a larger bag can last anywhere from 4-6 meals
    Tofu (I'm vegetarian) but a block is good for 4 meals
    onions, garlic and ginger are a staple, so I'll buy those fresh and use them for a while.
    I usually make a larger stir fry and split it for 2-3 meals (put the extras in Tupperware)
    cans of Beans and lentils are fairly cheap...you could go the dry goods route but those take time to cook.
    Anything I make is for at least 2 meals. I choose not to make it my lunch, just so i don't have to cook dinner every night, but that's an option too.
    I don't use sauces, just spices like coriander and cumin which cuts the budget and the calories.
    I buy bread, but only the fresh store made stuff (1/2 the price of the shipped in brands and without any additives)
    Peanut butter! - it's great for lunch or as a snack, good with carrots, bread, apples...you name it. I even buy the all natural stuff and it's cheap
    oatmeal for breakfast - but I don't buy the prepackaged...I get a bag of rolled oats that will last for weeks, and it's less than $2 (store brand)...I sweeten myself with honey or fruit.

Buying raw ingredients isn't all that expensive and it's much healthier. Buy what's in season to save a bit of $, what's not in season you can find frozen for fairly cheap (fresh is best, frozen is good, canned should be your last resort).
    If I'm really scrimping I can get by on $30/week, but I like my veggie burgers, organic yogurt and juices, which means I average about $50/week (and this is in australia where everything is more expensive than the US)
  • firedragon064
    firedragon064 Posts: 1,090 Member
    Options
    bump