Oatmeal recipes, anyone?

Options

Replies

• eodvarka
    eodvarka Posts: 30
    Options
    This might sound really weird, but when I was hitting the gym a lot, I ALWAYS craved chocolate and oatmeal. So, I decided, why not combine them? I would put some oatmeal in a bowl, cook it according to the directions in the microwave, then add a pinch of salt, a few tablespoons of cocoa powder, and some instant sugar-free fat-free chocolate Jello pudding mix for some sweetness. It came out to be a thick bowl of chocolatey heaven!
    When I'm craving something sweeter/less rich, I cook some oatmeal with some slices of green apple together, then add cinnamon, nutmeg, salt, and brown sugar. SO good, and it's a great dessert if paired with whipped cream/maybe some vanilla ice cream? hehe

Oooo... never thought of using pudding mix / cocoa. Good idea!

Chocolate pudding mix is also AMAZING with plain lowfat greek yogurt. It's like chocolate mousse, but somehow better!
  • MJBez
    MJBez Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    Bump - love all these great sounding oatmeal recipes/ideas! :D
  • Narisong
    Narisong Posts: 191
    Options
    I found this recipe on one of the message boards a few weeks ago and really love it. I follow the recipe except I add cinnamon while cooking it in the crockpot (i cook mine on low all night). I just store in the fridge and nuke for 90 seconds in the morning. I do use a bit of sweetener on it when I reheat :-)

http://www.cookingwithjax.com/2011/01/apple-pie-breakfast.html
  • rocknd
    rocknd Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Not sure what steel cut oats is, but here in the land of OZ I use quick oats. Just tried a recipe I found on pinterest for Almond Joy Oatmeal . . . oh so delish! No exact amounts required . . . I adjusted the amounts of each ingredient to fit my allowable calorie intake. For example: 1/4 cup quick oats, 1/2 cup almond milk, 1 tbsp. semi-sweet chocolate chips, 1 tbsp. almond slices, 1 tbsp. coconut shavings.
  • gymbug813
    gymbug813 Posts: 11
    Options
    Here is a recipe I kind-of derived from the biggest loser oatmeal pancakes:

1 cup quick oats
    1 cup unsweetened applesauce
    1 tablespoon flour
    1/4 cup liquid eggs
    1/4 cup water
    2 tablespoons brown sugar
    1 tsp vanilla extract
    1 tsp cinnamon

Mix together and you have a great low-calorie pancake batter. Drench in some light syrup and you are good to go!
  • kmmuzzy
    kmmuzzy Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Almond Joy Oatmeal (from Undressed Skeleton blog):
    Joy Oatmeal!

191 Calories, 7g Fat, 23g Carbs, 6g Protein, 5g Fiber

Ingredients:

* 10 Milk Chocolate Baking Chips
    * 1 Cup Almond Milk Unsweetened
    * 1 Packet Instant Oatmeal
    * 1 Tbsp Sweetened Shredded Coconut
    * 1 Tbsp Chopped Almonds
    * 1 Packet Truvia

Directions

1. Prepare Oatmeal as Directed With 1 Cup Almond Milk
    2. Stir Almonds and Truvia In Oatmeal
    3. Top Oatmeal With Baking Chips and Coconut
    4. Mix Together
  • gooiyw
    gooiyw Posts: 114 Member
    Options
    My very first oatmeal breakfast...

430699_10150572423727014_583822013_8812021_728986864_n.jpg

I must say, it didn't suck. LOL.
  • lvnhappiness
    Options
    oatmeal you can do anything with. you can add any extract with fresh apples and cinnomen and almounds, or you can put fresh pears in with vanilla extract , with splenda (if you want it sweet) and a little nutmeg and top with reduced balasmic vinager..just a drizzle on top. sugar free carmel , cocnut extract and chunkks of plums with almound milk and or vanilla soy. yuou can put anything in it you want too.
  • Vegetablearian
    Vegetablearian Posts: 148 Member
    Options
    I make mine with hazelnut or almond or other dairy alternative milk , that makes it sweet and nutty in taste and 38% rda calcium.

30g of oats + 170ml milk
  • 10acity
    10acity Posts: 798 Member
    Options
    I like oatmeal (I buy Bob's Red Mill Thick Cut Oats) but I totally prefer Bulgur Wheat Cereal (Hodgson Mill, to be exact). It's heartier than oatmeal-- no chance of that gooey pastiness. I highly recommend it!

And my favourite way to eat both is with fresh or frozen blueberries and some honey.
  • catramsey2
    catramsey2 Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    Protein shake

1 Scoop protein mix
    1/2 C skim milk
    3/4 C Cold water
    1/2 C Oatmeal (Old fashioned)
    1 tsp Mexican Vanilla
    1 T peanut butter
    4 paks splenda
    Ice cubes

Blend and enjoy

To die for shake!
  • krnlcsf
    krnlcsf Posts: 310
    Options
    try the baked oatmeal with blueberries and banana (or whatever fruit you like) on skinnytaste.com
    delicious and a big serving for the amount of cals! makes 6 servings, and reheats very nicely the next day.

i think i'll try it with strawberries or apples next time.

otherwise i just make mine in the microwave with water. add cinnamon and brown sugar or maple syrup for flavour, and topped with unsweetened apple sauce after its cooked. good enough for me! but i love my oatmeal! :heart:
  • 10acity
    10acity Posts: 798 Member
    Options
    Protein shake

1 Scoop protein mix
    1/2 C skim milk
    3/4 C Cold water
    1/2 C Oatmeal (Old fashioned)
    1 tsp Mexican Vanilla
    1 T peanut butter
    4 paks splenda
    Ice cubes

Blend and enjoy

To die for shake!

This sounds really good... are my Thick Cut Rolled Oats going to work?
  • Michele7091
    Michele7091 Posts: 256 Member
    Options
    I make overnight oats. They're REALLY yummy!

1/2 c. oats
    1/2 c. unsweetened almond milk
    1 Tbsp. honey
    1 tsp. cocoa powder
    1 Tbsp peanut butter (I use PB2)

Mix it all up at night and stick it in the fridge. I pull mine out about 10 minutes before I want to start eating it to warm it up to room temp a bit and just eat them as is. SOOOO good!

I also will take a packet of the Maple & Brown sugar oats and cook as normal and add 1/2 a chopped apple and a Tbsp of craisins. Very tasty as well but the overnight oats listed above is my FAV!
  • morningsun3112
    morningsun3112 Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    Bump
  • jgerbe2
    jgerbe2 Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    bump
  • kimw91
    kimw91 Posts: 355 Member
    Options
    My basic "recipe" for oatmeal is to just prepare it in water with about a tbsp of stevia. As for toppings:
    - Stir in 1/2 mashed banana and cinnamon to taste and top with remaining banana slices, blueberries and a drizzle of honey
    - Stir in a tsp vanilla extract and top with strawberries/raspberries
    - Stir in a diced apple and lots of cinnamon and optionally a handful of raisins
    - Stir in cacao powder and pitted cherries
    - Top with baked/heated apple/pears/nectarine/peach/banana
    - Top with (flavoured) yoghurt and granola
    - Prepare it the night before, sit in fridge overnight, then stir in milk or yoghurt in the morning (it'll be all sticky and really dense) till it's back to a creamy consistency and then top with fresh fruit (I like berries/orange/mandarin/kiwi/pineapple
    - I imagine coconut pineapple oatmeal would be good
    - Mocha oatmeal (instant coffee granules & cacao powder)
    - And then there's a ton of recipes for baked oatmeal/oatmeal pancakes which I think just require the addition of an egg white
  • gspea
    gspea Posts: 412 Member
    Options
    All of these suggestions. Wow. Will be using a lot of these to spice up the same ol oatmeal.
  • raedlewis
    raedlewis Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    Lots of good ideas. Yum!
  • bquillen
    bquillen Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    I use the instant kind, maple and brown sugar, fix it with FF milk, then use the already cooked bacon warm in microwave until crisp and crumble that in it....with a packet of truvia or whatever sweetner you like....it is yummy...