Help! Snacks Needed!

Options
Hey everyone!

My hubby was recently diagnosed diabetic and with high cholesterol (1290 if you can imagine that) so needless to say he's on a really strict diet. I need some ideas for low fat/low carb snacks. He's getting sick of popcorn and things along those lines.

Thanks in advance!

Replies

• Hermit4Hire
    Hermit4Hire Posts: 197
    Options
    1290? Is that for real? That's 5x more than "high risk" of heart attack. I hope that's a typo.
  • debnu1
    debnu1 Posts: 1,568 Member
    Options
    Vegies are your freebies!! Dress them up or down but you can eat all the vegies you want on a diabetic diet. :bigsmile: I know he probably doesn't want to hear that though. Try some greek yogurt with a little fruit. MMMM, egg whites with low fat cheese and vegies, turkey slices with laughing cow or low fat cream cheese. Cottage cheese and ham. Good luck
  • qtkt1
    qtkt1 Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    Nuts
  • fraiseroja
    fraiseroja Posts: 215 Member
    Options
    Yoplait non fat yogurt is really good because they have dessert flavors like pineapple upside down cake, raspberry cheesecake, etc. I think they really taste like sweet dessert so it's very good. My boyfriend doesn't really like healthy foods either. A tip with veggies, is give him fat free dressing to dip in and it goes a long way. I also take cucumbers and peel their skins off and cut them like pickles. It seems silly but they taste better that way. Then I do green peppers or carrots with the dip and he likes it :wink:
  • TRUBRIT
    TRUBRIT Posts: 3
    Options
    you could get 100cal. pack of almonds, you could have a greek yogurt with a piece of fruit. if you have those 'health'bars watch out for high frutose corn syrup, better goin organic!
  • LeanLioness
    LeanLioness Posts: 1,091 Member
    Options
    Hey everyone!

My hubby was recently diagnosed diabetic and with high cholesterol (1290 if you can imagine that) so needless to say he's on a really strict diet. I need some ideas for low fat/low carb snacks. He's getting sick of popcorn and things along those lines.

Thanks in advance!

Actually, he needs to reduce the carbs and up his fat intake.................

Low carb diet naturally reduces the cholesterol, so his numbers will drop fast being it is so high.

Check out my blood work (link in my signature) and believe me, it does happen.

He can get off the diabetes meds too by doing low carb...............

Here is the link to a good article regarding low carbing and diabetes.

http://diabetes.about.com/od/nutrition/qt/locarbdiabetes.htm
  • akellyking77
    akellyking77 Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    Unfortunately it's not a typo. He went to the doctor because he had this horrible looking rash come up on his elbows, back and legs. They went from a rash to what looked like blisters. The doc finally lanced one and sent it to the lab. It was pure cholesterol pushing out of his body. They ran a full panel and his blood sugar was 506 and cholesterol was 1290. They put him immediately on a lot of meds to get the numbers down.
  • LeanLioness
    Options
    Yoplait non fat yogurt is really good because they have dessert flavors like pineapple upside down cake, raspberry cheesecake, etc. I think they really taste like sweet dessert so it's very good. My boyfriend doesn't really like healthy foods either. A tip with veggies, is give him fat free dressing to dip in and it goes a long way. I also take cucumbers and peel their skins off and cut them like pickles. It seems silly but they taste better that way. Then I do green peppers or carrots with the dip and he likes it :wink:

Diabetics do not need to eat non-fat yogurt filled with sugar, HFCS, and there is no fat to keep fueling the body in the absence of carbs..............

Fage total, greek yogurt with a handful of berries and some organic granola would be GREAT. Natural is the best way to go!!!
  • fraiseroja
    fraiseroja Posts: 215 Member
    Options
    Welll, greek yogurt is mostly non fat just like the yogurt I suggested. By the time you add in the berries and granola to sweeten the deal you are looking at the same amount of sugar. There are carbs in the yogurt as well for energy. I agree that natural is better this is just a convenient way to start out. I have a boyfriend that is a tough man to get anything healthy down him. Sometimes you need to start somewhere managable and then move on. Organic is great, and you are totally right about that. She was looking for low fat things because I am guessing that is what her doctor recommended.
  • shaleah77
    shaleah77 Posts: 89
    Options
    You do have a hard road with a diet for diabetes and high cholesterol. Especially so severe. Possibly call the Dr. about seeing a nutritionist?
  • AwesomeSmiles100
    Options
    Hey!!!! Yoplait non fat yogurt has high froctose corn syrup which is REALLY bad for you!! I would suggest eating plain organic yogurt sweetened with stevia !!:flowerforyou:
  • AwesomeSmiles100
    Options
    Welll, greek yogurt is mostly non fat just like the yogurt I suggested. By the time you add in the berries and granola to sweeten the deal you are looking at the same amount of sugar. There are carbs in the yogurt as well for energy. I agree that natural is better this is just a convenient way to start out. I have a boyfriend that is a tough man to get anything healthy down him. Sometimes you need to start somewhere managable and then move on. Organic is great, and you are totally right about that. She was looking for low fat things because I am guessing that is what her doctor recommended.
    HEY..........slow down mrs.!!! organic or not Yoplait low-fat yogurt has HIGH FROCTOSE CORN SYRUP which has even more sugar than an innocent handful of berries and granola!! I agree with mrs. natural on that one!! :bigsmile:
  • AwesomeSmiles100
    Options
    YOU AGAIN LADY!!!! HIGH FROCTOSE CORN SYRUP IS IN THOSE YOGURTS............thats why they taste so good!! the french vanilla i know for a fact has 27 yeas i mean TWENTY SEVEN grams of sugar and the sugar free yogurts have other bad things to replace the sugar! ur better off with stony field oraganic vanilla!!!
  • LeanLioness
    Options

Fage can not be compared to Yoplait, Dannon or any of the "grocery store" varieties............

Fage has only 17 grams of carbs and NO added sugar at all. Couple with a cup of strawberries (which would be too much for a cup of Fage) and you are at 22 grams of NATURAL carbs, not a chemical soup of preservatives and HFCS.

I will have to be homeless and unable to care for myself to let that stuff touch my lips ever again.
  • LeanLioness
    Options
    What people are not realizing, is with a diabetic, especially with high cholesterol................

Your husband is going to be better off with cutting the sugar and carbs (getting carbs from vegetables first and then a little fruit) and increasing fats............................

Low carb, higher fat and higher protein will bring the cholesterol down quickly with a diabetic person. I have cut mine down 24 points in a few months time and I was not even that strict in the beginning.

I am getting more and more strict with myself as I am reading and researching more and more about how low fat eaqting is really BAD for you.

I do not have 1 low fat item in my house..................

Coconut oil is the earths healthiest fat and I use it more than anything else. I second that with olive oil. I make my own salad dressings and full fat mayonnaise.

Vegetable oils such as Canola, etc are really bad for you.
  • akellyking77
    akellyking77 Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    Thanks all, but I do not need full nutritional advice here. I just need some other ideas for snacks. I know exactly how much of each (carbs, fat, cholesterol, etc) that he needs each day. I just need some alternative ideas from other folks on diets. I didn't mean to start an argument on the nutritional value of yogurt. He can't stand the stuff anyway so the entire point is moot.
  • astridfeline
    astridfeline Posts: 1,200 Member
    Options

Actually, you can get full-fat, 2%, or 0% Fage.

Maybe he would like hummus? you can toast pita bread, or dip vegies in it.
  • LeanLioness
    Options
    Thanks all, but I do not need full nutritional advice here. I just need some other ideas for snacks. I know exactly how much of each (carbs, fat, cholesterol, etc) that he needs each day. I just need some alternative ideas from other folks on diets. I didn't mean to start an argument on the nutritional value of yogurt. He can't stand the stuff anyway so the entire point is moot.

Read this article about very low carb and diabetes......................

http://diabetes.about.com/od/nutrition/qt/locarbdiabetes.htm
  • moujie
    moujie Posts: 229
    Options
    If he likes chips & dip:

cut up a whole wheat tortilla into triangles
    bake in the oven until lightly browned & crisp
    serve with salsa (get an organic low sugar variety - some of the mass produced ones have sugar and they aren't any better tasting!)

I read a post somewhere on this site where someone said they take a hard boiled egg, take the yolk out and fill it with a scoop of humus. sounded good to me.