Lost motivation

Options
So I had a bad day this week, and I grossly over ate. Since then it has become an ongoing struggle every night not to repeat the pattern. I find myself eating just for the pleasure of it, not even when I am hungry. This has always been a problem for me and it was origionally what made me gain weight.

Before now I was doing awesome but because this has become a sudden and continuous problem, I now no longer had the motivation or determination I once had. The day has become a struggle and I can't seem to stop myself even when I know I should. Its always "just one more bite" but I keep going until Im sick.

I know this is a problem and I just need to hear some input on this. I felt like I had to get it off my chest and share with people who understand. Because right now I feel like a fat piece of ****. I know that sounds horrible, but its true.

Your kind words are much appreciated. Hope you all are well and are making progress with your goals.

Replies

• forest0spirit555
    forest0spirit555 Posts: 164 Member
    Options
    bump
  • forest0spirit555
    Options
    bump
  • TheYoungRetiree
    TheYoungRetiree Posts: 84 Member
    Options
    This has been me all week! I just feel so defeated. So I changed it up greatly. I'm forcing myself to not eat after 7pm. I hung a sign on my kitchen door with a list of things to do instead fo walk in and get some snacks!

Find distractions for yourself- even if it's just coming and browsing the forums here! Something to take your mind off it. I drink a full glass of water when I'm really in a picky mood... and when all else fails I stick to my pickle jar from Costco! I grab a pickle, put it on a plate, sit at the table, cut it with a fork and knife and eat it. It's a zero calorie snack and by forcing myself to take it slow it distracts me from shoving a bag of chips in my mouth!

It can be hard at various times and we just have to pick ourselves up and get back on the horse! You can do it!
  • liscain
    liscain Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    just remember there are people who have a lot more weight to lose than people like use who only have a couple more to go before we hit our goals. I'm at my half-way point and I get frustrated because everyone close to me is saying how I look so great, but I don't feel great. I still feel gross and unattractive. I know I'll get back down to my goal weight like I have time and time again, but will it be the last time. I'm so tired of yo yo-ing back up to where I was just to put on even more weight. It's scary and now that I'm 30 my metabolism isn't going to bounce me right back like I have in the past. This is it. This is as good as it gets and I just thank God that I didn't let myself get even bigger. Hang in there. We can do it!!!
  • forest0spirit555
    Options
    This has been me all week! I just feel so defeated. So I changed it up greatly. I'm forcing myself to not eat after 7pm. I hung a sign on my kitchen door with a list of things to do instead fo walk in and get some snacks!

Find distractions for yourself- even if it's just coming and browsing the forums here! Something to take your mind off it. I drink a full glass of water when I'm really in a picky mood... and when all else fails I stick to my pickle jar from Costco! I grab a pickle, put it on a plate, sit at the table, cut it with a fork and knife and eat it. It's a zero calorie snack and by forcing myself to take it slow it distracts me from shoving a bag of chips in my mouth!

It can be hard at various times and we just have to pick ourselves up and get back on the horse! You can do it!

wow. thank you for your kind words and suggestions. I love your idea with the pickle and the shutdown time of the kitchen. may end up trying both :) way to go on coming up with creative ways to distract yourself.
  • forest0spirit555
    Options
    just remember there are people who have a lot more weight to lose than people like use who only have a couple more to go before we hit our goals. I'm at my half-way point and I get frustrated because everyone close to me is saying how I look so great, but I don't feel great. I still feel gross and unattractive. I know I'll get back down to my goal weight like I have time and time again, but will it be the last time. I'm so tired of yo yo-ing back up to where I was just to put on even more weight. It's scary and now that I'm 30 my metabolism isn't going to bounce me right back like I have in the past. This is it. This is as good as it gets and I just thank God that I didn't let myself get even bigger. Hang in there. We can do it!!!

Yeah I got the same problem. People say all the time that I look amazing, yet Im only half way there. I dont want to stop. Just a tough week I guess.
  • forest0spirit555
    Options
  • forest0spirit555
    Options
    bump
  • chippy83
    chippy83 Posts: 92 Member
    Options
    I've had a rough week, too. It's my girly time of the month, combined with a busy work week and desire for sweets (see beginning of sentence)! I've made and eaten banana chocolate chip bread, and ate 3 donuts at work one day. I've been slacking on drinking enough water, even though I love it. I've also been out to dinner 3 nights in a row-- once for a bbq sandwich and deluxe fries, once out with friends (had some of an app, good but large salad, and cheesecake), and again tonight for a salad.

I've been so good about staying away from obvious sugars like dessert, but this week it is back to feeling like my "drug"-- even though my body feels the worse for it.

My saving grace has been that I've still been to the gym 3 times this week, though I feel like I should have gone 5!! I am also trying to stay motivated as I've finally lost my first 5 pounds since committing to MFP in January, and want to continue the loss instead of gain it back (again...).

Good luck hitting the re-set button tomorrow to get back on the right track!!
  • forest0spirit555
    Options
    I've had a rough week, too. It's my girly time of the month, combined with a busy work week and desire for sweets (see beginning of sentence)! I've made and eaten banana chocolate chip bread, and ate 3 donuts at work one day. I've been slacking on drinking enough water, even though I love it. I've also been out to dinner 3 nights in a row-- once for a bbq sandwich and deluxe fries, once out with friends (had some of an app, good but large salad, and cheesecake), and again tonight for a salad.

I've been so good about staying away from obvious sugars like dessert, but this week it is back to feeling like my "drug"-- even though my body feels the worse for it.

My saving grace has been that I've still been to the gym 3 times this week, though I feel like I should have gone 5!! I am also trying to stay motivated as I've finally lost my first 5 pounds since committing to MFP in January, and want to continue the loss instead of gain it back (again...).

Good luck hitting the re-set button tomorrow to get back on the right track!!

thanks so much and wow! you sound exactly like me with my struggles this week! good luck to you as well. We can both do this!
  • JLJ5882
    JLJ5882 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    Keep remembering the part about "So you see yourself, so shall you be" I am constantly amazed when I look at pictures of myself taken years ago when I first started dieting because I thought I was fat...in NO WAY was I fat. Unfortunately, I believed it hard enough and long enough until it became my truth. Do you have a project you can involve yourself in for awhile? I find idle time and the raging munchies are a deadly combination for me. The other really important thing for me is to be certain I don't have any of my trigger foods in the house. I'm sure you know all this stuff, but sometimes it is helpful to hear it from somebody who truly understands what you are feeling. Stop believing you can't do it...as somebody much smarter than I once said, "If you think you can or you think you can't, you are right." Good luck Kido...
  • SusanMcAvoy
    SusanMcAvoy Posts: 445 Member
    Options
    I'm having the same problem. I have lost my motivation and think I actually gained a pound or two. I have been over eating and drinking and I know I shouldn't but I just feel so defeated right now. I have been on MFP for almost a year and you'd think I would have an easier time of it but it's still very hard. I feel for you, I really do. Stay with it and I will too. Let's make this coming week a new beginning for us. My weekend is already filled with things to do so I can't get back on track until Monday. It just gets so hard sometimes. Stay strong. Like I always say, losing weight is not for the faint of heart. It's hard. But.... if I can do this anybody can. Take good care :flowerforyou:
  • BrienJD
    BrienJD Posts: 541 Member
    Options
    What happend on that bad day.... It is really hard sometimes. I for one get a lot of pleasure out of eating, it's one of my favorite things so I know a little of what you are feeling. I used to eat a whole bag of chips or chocolates while reading. I lived the old pringles saying "you can never eat just one)

You say you were doing great before this one day, well you can do great again. Last thing you want to do is berate yourself the way you have been doing. We ALL fall off the wagon at one time or another. DON'T beat yourself up. And I know the feeling well. I finally realized with the help of my sister that I had to stop dumping on myself and eating everthing in sight because of "it doesn't matter, I already blew it already" attitude I had There is a reason that food is so good, and so tough to moderate, if it weren't we wouldn't be around very long so don't be ashamed. Do what you are doing right now, there are a ton of folks here to lean on. I can only hope that I am brave enough to ask for help like you are when I fall again, which I am sure sometime I will..no one is perfect.

Back back on he horse and follow the suggestions you have received that best meets your needs.
  • coraliethomas
    coraliethomas Posts: 336 Member
    Options
    24lbs!! You have come WAAAY to far to slip now! When I feel snacky I was dishes... hahah its a good way to remind me that I dont want to eat cus it makes more dishes!

Now back to you... Seriously, you are over halfway there... all those sore days after the gym.. that wonderful feeling when you button your jeans without having to suck it waaaaay in.... OWN THAT!!

Tomorrow is another day, get back up on that horse and ride off into the sunset! You know how to do this.... left foot right foot left foot right foot.... one in front of the other..
  • katyconser
    katyconser Posts: 92 Member
    Options
    oh man, i had a couple nights like that early this week!! i was eating out, the server didn't come by very often (so i had that half a meal i planned to box up in front of me) and seriously couldn't stop eating till it was all gone! happened 2 days in a row, and i was so bummed on it!!

keep your head up... you can do this! it's a lifestyle change. you are obviously willing to make that change, or you wouldn't have joined MFP. keep a couple healthy "reward snacks" around that satisfy those cravings. for me, i like pink lady or jazz apples with almond butter for the sweet craving, or pistachios for the salty one. those things are great bc the serving size won't wreck you (each is abt 200 cals) if you need it when you're close to or even over ur calorie goal for the day. i also keep some squares of dark chocolate in the house, bc when i eat a square, i know it's the last thing i'm eating that day.

don't forget, there's a whole buttload of us out here to help offer support :happy:
  • strawberrie_milk
    strawberrie_milk Posts: 381 Member
    Options
    Wow, I'm going through the same thing right now. I was doing great, binged once, and from then on it went downhill. For the past two weeks, I've just been binging and I've probably gained a bunch of weight back. I guess all I have to say is.. try and think positively. I wish I had something more motivational to tell you, but I'm in the same slump :(
  • lilRicki
    lilRicki Posts: 4,555 Member
    Options
    I just went through this...totally fell off the wagon. I know that if i bust my *kitten* just once at the gym, my motivation comes back. The hardest part is putting on your runners. I also come here, and on pinterest (the wedding pins and the fitness pins) just to remind myself what the hell i'm doing. Right now I'm struggling not to eat, so I'm on my 32nd oz of tea and pinning like a mad fool lol we all go through this, we all have our ups and downs, hang in there. this will pass and you will be rockin' once again.
  • wordpainter09
    wordpainter09 Posts: 472 Member
    Options
    I looked at your diary and it doesn't look bad at all to me. 1800 calories isn't that much and having some cake isn't a huge deal. Even if you're eating stuff that you're not putting in your diary it happens to everyone sometimes.
    If it's happening consistently, something I do that helps is to get that stuff out of my house. If I don't have my trigger foods in my house it's hard to binge or overeat something I don't have. If I have to go and get it I have to really think twice about it and I usually decide it's not worth it. Gives me enough time to remember how crappy I felt the last time that happened and I don't do it.
    But seriously, if what you put in your diary is all you ate I wouldn't even worry about that. That's not a ton of food. My diary is open if you want to look at it.
  • kandyjay
    kandyjay Posts: 265
    Options
    I haven't 'lost motivation' persay, but I've been having days where I know I shouldn't eat something, but still do it anyways.
    Tomorrow is a new day though, for everyone. :) you'll do great once you get that motivation back! Whatever you do, DO NOT give
    up!
    good luck!
  • rachellosesitall85
    rachellosesitall85 Posts: 497 Member
    Options
    I suffer from bored or emotional eating too sometimes. It's a struggle but I suggest you just tell yourself no more and put your foot down. Your body can only do what your mind tells/lets it. If you do this consistently you will pick up a habit which I hear can take three months sometimes. If you know doing this is your biggest weight loss blunder than do everything in your power to try and change/stop it. When your mind says right, go left and see if it doesn't change. Sometimes we spoil ourselves a bit too much or give in, but our bodies can and will change if you put stress and pressure on it. Also, when I need motivation I come on here and read all of the success stories and day dream about that being me one day. It helps because you always get a stronger drive to want to kick things off again.