College advice needed

Options
I'm going to school for my bachelors in nursing and we just had to turn in a paper at midnite for one of my classes. It was a paper that was done by two people and we were able to pick our partners, so I picked my friend and school carpool buddy. She is 40 years old and I'm 28 years old and we are in the top 5 in our class of 80 students and very nontraditional college students. I thought she would be a great partner because she works as hard as I do to successfully complete assignments.

We got together to write the paper yesterday for the second time this week and after spending 4 hours on it I thought we were almost done. She just wanted to reread it and make sure things made sense and then offered to turn it in online, since one of us had to. I called her at 8 pm tonite to make sure she was finished with it and turned it in online and she said she decided to completely start over on the paper, even decided to change the subject we were writing about! I'm furious because I spent a lot of time on this paper and I feel like my efforts don't matter. I also don't want my name going on a paper that I didn't participate in.

I'm at a loss for words right now but I want to talk to her about i tomorrowt. I just don't know what to say to her. I need to be professional and I'm not sure what to say or what to do? What would you do or say that is PROFESSIONAL???

Replies

• i_love_vinegar
    i_love_vinegar Posts: 2,092 Member
    Options
    You're classmates, so I would suggest just telling her how you feel. No need to be professional. :)

Also, do you have a copy of the paper? If I were in your shoes, I would just let her do her thing, as long as she didn't expect me to contribute to the new paper. When I see her the next day, I would read what she wrote. If I think it is OK I'll be like, "Cool." If it's awful, I would be like, "Cool." and then proceed to privately tell the professor what happened, and ask if I can turn in the original paper as well (I would bring it with me to show).

Good luck and remember...it's just a paper. You are one of the top students, so don't worry about it too much :)

PS: About being nontraditional, there are probably a lot more students around your age than you think. You are only 28, so in the future if you need other people to work with, don't feel weird working with "traditional" students (if there is a fallout with this friend).
  • christine24t
    christine24t Posts: 6,063 Member
    Options
    I'm a nursing student too!

If you have a copy of the paper, hang onto it, print it out, email it to your professor - the one that both of you worked on. See what your classmate turned the paper in, if she turned it in at all. If it's much different, go up to your teacher after class and explain the situation. "Me and _______ were working on your assignment. We decided she would submit the paper, but she let me know later that night, right before it was due, that she was going to change the topic. I wanted to let you know that I didn't do any work on that paper, but I have a copy of the one that we did work on together. I'd appreciate it if you would grade this one, as it was our project together." it sounds like as nice as your classmate might be, she has controlling issues. Some people are like that :(
  • monicalynne68
    monicalynne68 Posts: 87 Member
    Options
    My advise...if you have a copy of the paper, turn it in as well and explain to the teacher the next day what happened. Tell the teacher that you didn't feel comfortable being graded on something that you had no input on and ask if she can grade the papers seperately
  • MJ_1986
    MJ_1986 Posts: 6
    Options
    Agree with the others... There is no reason for that.
    I've had to do group projects before... If nothing else works out after you explain how you feel, just turn yours in, and see what the teacher says. Are you doing online classes?
  • AllanMisner
    AllanMisner Posts: 4,140 Member
    Options
    I had a project with someone in college that I just couldn't work with (we got into a disagreement when our answer, which was right didn't agree with the solution we were given in class). I went to the professor and told him that being a non-traditional student, I preferred to work on my projects alone. He had no problem with it.
  • tayca9174
    tayca9174 Posts: 37
    Options
    Well, I ended up getting an email from her this morning and she turned in the assignment at 11:57 when it was due at midnight. She was mad that I called to her 8:30 to see how the paper was comming. She was also mad at me that I was with my boyfriend and his friends and we were drinking. She thought it was irresponsible to be drinking when we had a paper due. I had to email her back to remind her that she was the one to wanted to proof read the paper and it was her decision to start over. I also let her know that my nite of drinking meant I was home by 9:30 and I only had a glass of wine and a can of beer. Some rowdy college student I am. lol

I want to thank all of you for your help. I think the next project I will just find another partner so I don't have to deal with this issue again.
  • rovernio
    rovernio Posts: 157
    Options
    if it was me i would be glad less work for me.. some times just go with the flow