Anyone else having trouble with sodium and sugar targets?

2»

Replies

• Cal28
    Cal28 Posts: 514 Member
    I hardly ever go over my sodium, but sugar is out of control almost every day. There's so much sugar in everything!

^This x
  • DPernet
    DPernet Posts: 481 Member
    Started making everything at home fresh and watching packaged items for salt and sugar content. Sodium isn't a problem anymore, but the sugar is a pain. I think I'm just going to ignore the sugar in fresh fruit and vegetables and just keep an eye on the 'processed' sugar total.

What I could really use is a high calorie, low fat, low sodium, sugar free snack. Any suggestions? :ohwell:
  • juliekaiser1988
    juliekaiser1988 Posts: 604 Member
    I don't eat sugar (well, I cannot consume more than 8 grams of sugar per meal), OTHER THAN natural sugar found in fruit. And I go over on sugar every day. So I blow it off.

You know what you're eating. If it's natural (fruit), then don't sweat it. If it's cane sugar or HFCS, then pay attention to it.
  • Jade17694
    Jade17694 Posts: 584 Member
    always go over my sugar because i eat alot of fruit!
  • k2sul
    k2sul Posts: 30 Member
    Like many other people posting above, sodium isn't a problem, but the natural sugars in my food always put me over. Even my breakfast puts me over sugar goal for the day, and that's usually 8oz of 100% pure orange juice, shredded wheat & semi skimmed milk. I avoid added sugar where possible, but have stopped tracking sugar as it seems futile to track a nutrient I have no hope of bringing under goal.
  • BUMP (to show Mum ) :-)
  • Summer5555
    Summer5555 Posts: 104 Member
    I don't worry about my sugar targets as the only thing I add sugar to is a little in my porridge each morning, it's not really a concern to me.
    My sodium levels I monitor though, personally I think excessive sodium is a greater health risk. I always check the sodium levels on products and will choose the one with the lower level, even if it means more calories because I can just work that off if I need to. I generally keep my levels are somewhere between 1500-1800 by not eating processed foods or keep it very minimal, I have never added salt to anything.
  • XXXMinnieXXX
    XXXMinnieXXX Posts: 3,459 Member
    I don't worry about sugar at all in fruit and veg. I do eat more vegetables than fruit. It was driving me crazy so I removed it from my diary, as I know what I am eating is natural. As for sodium I make everything fresh. I cook up 10 portions of home made soup or chilli etc at a time and never had sodium problems. If you cook from fresh you can't go wrong. Making your own sauces etc is the way forward. I don't get too crazy about it though. Ultimately if your doing well with your calories, fat, protein and carbs you will loose weight! X
  • LemonSnap
    LemonSnap Posts: 186 Member
    @cpudoc64
    as long as potassium and sodium balance, I'm ok too.

I also work to the theory of balancing occasional high sodium levels with potassium.

Although I eat almost all fresh produce there are the occasional food selections that are high in sodium. For instance, miso, I love miso soup and it has many health benefits but it is high in sodium. I balance it out by adding some cauliflower and potato.
  • danasings
    danasings Posts: 8,218 Member
    I hardly ever go over my sodium, but sugar is out of control almost every day. There's so much sugar in everything!

^This x

Ditto
  • AuntieMC
    AuntieMC Posts: 346 Member
    It is very important for me to control my sugars, because I am battling Cancer. For those of you who don't know, Cancer feeds directly on sugar. I eliminated ALL refined sugars from my diet several months ago. I don't even use products with sugar listed as an ingredient, such as bread or spaghetti sauce (It is really difficult to find a spaghetti sauce with no added sugar, let me tell you! Even the health food store only had ONE brand that met this criteria!).

I took a Food Diary page from just before I joined My Fitness Pal, and used it to log in various types of Fruits, Vegetables, etc. (Fruits listed under Breakfast, Vegetables listed under Lunch), so I could glance at it to decide what things I can combine in any given day and still stay within my Target for natural sugars. Some fruits are higher in sugars than others. Berries are generally lower in sugars, which is good news for me, because berries also have some potent cancer-fighting molecules of various types. Fruit JUICES are usually quite high in sugars, plus they have the added disadvantage of not providing the roughage or some of the micronutrients in the whole fruit. For vegetables,the root vegetables and squashes seem to be higher in natural sugars. Tomato sauce can be on the high side, but I eat it almost daily, for certain cancer-fighting benefits. So I just have to adjust my other sugars accordingly. I am thinking of going to using the tomato suace every OTHER day to leave room for more fruit, which has its own nutritional benefits, of course.

Right now, what this means to me is very little fruit. I get vitamin C in the tomatoes, so I can pass on orange juice. I will sometimes have a few slices of orange, to get some of its other nutritional benefits without blowing my sugar allotment. It means more cruciferous and leafy vegetables than root vegetables.

I think that a healthy person should probably have a bit more fruit, as long as they are getting plenty of vegetables. But if you REALLY need to watch your sugars, it CAN be done!
  • Evelyn_Gorfram
    Evelyn_Gorfram Posts: 706 Member
    I think that a healthy person should probably have a bit more fruit, as long as they are getting plenty of vegetables. But if you REALLY need to watch your sugars, it CAN be done!
    I really admire the research, determination, and aplomb you've brought to your fight against cancer. Here' to your long-contiued success! :)

The thing that is bugging me here is not knowing where the MFP goal for sugar comes from, or how I should interpret it with repect to my individual food intake. I *can* stay within the 35 g/day it cites for me (I won't *like* it, but I can do it), but I want to know why it's not 34 or 36 (or 22, or 107, or 58-3/4...).

The cholesterol number was easy. The MFP tracker came up with a limit of 300 mg cholesterol/day. A little Googling turned up that this is the US RDI for healthy adults. But healthy adult don't have cholesterol levels of 237 mg/dl, and I do. So a bit more research, and I find a recommendation that those actively seeking to lower their cholesterol levels should keep their cholesterol intake below 200 mg/day. I go into my Diary, customize that goal, and - bing bang boom, I'm done. I know what I need to do and why I need to to do it.

But there is no US RDI for sugar. So where does the one in the MFP tracker come from? Without knowing what it means, I have no way of knowing what it means to me.

(Sorry if I sound rant-ey. Like I say, this has been bugging me.)
  • mocoworm
    mocoworm Posts: 31
    So are natural sugars ok ? Fruit and suchlike.