New to Site! ~Shuutnstar

Options
Hey there,

My name is Jenifer and I am new to this site! I have got about 70 pounds to lose. Nothing too daunting, right? I work as an Administrative Assistant in a Dental Implant Company and sit on my butt for 9 hours a day and on top of that, I have a 1.5 hour commute!

Anyhow, this seemed like a great resource, so I figured I would give it a shot! I would love to hear comments on best weight loss tips, tips for eating healthier, and tips for overcoming workout and motivation problems!

Best of Luck to all of us!
Jenifer

Replies

• stormdragon777
    Options
    Hi Jenifer and welcome! Congrats on making the healthy choice in your life! Many folks here are well-versed and educated in their craft, so I'm sure you'll have a wealth of resources at your disposal. Welcome aboard!
  • amymeenieminymo
    amymeenieminymo Posts: 2,394 Member
    Options
    My best weightloss tip I can give you.....in order to lose weight, you DON'T have to kill yourself with a 2 hour workout at the gym everyday.

If I had to go to the gym to lose weight, I would never stick to it. But I found things I love doing that doesn't necessarily feel like a work out. You'll see a lot of people's workout's burning between 400-1000 calories, which if that works for them, awesome. But I don't like "exercise", and I don't like how long it can take, so my typical workouts are 220-600 (600 being a weekend day that I have more time). I walk (on my lunch hour which is great for us office workers) and I ride my bike in the park near my house. Just on my 1/2 hour walk today I burned 250 calories...granted it's not a leisurely stroll, but it's not a pace that you can't work up to if you haven't been walking in a while.

Sure there are days when I just don't feel like walking or biking, but for the most part I enjoy it and it doesn't feel like exercise per se.

Granted i haven't lost as much weight as I could have in the last year or so, but that's mainly due to too many cheat days :blushing: ....but I am darn proud of my 41 pounds lost and my method must be doing something right becasue I look and feel great compared to when I first started here.

I just wanted to pass along that tip because I feel like so many people (myself included in the past) think you really have to suffer long hours in the gym and eat nothing but lettuce in order to lose weight. And having that mentality really makes it hard to stick with it. Good luck!
  • zibbity
    zibbity Posts: 126 Member
    Options
    Welcome! This site rocks!
  • ReyesOnFire
    ReyesOnFire Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    Hi! Before I had my little one I worked as a revenue accountant and was at the desk ALL day also. I gained weight by not doing anything and mindlessly eating. I am not sure if you can do this at your job, but I ended up getting an exercise ball to replace my office chair. It strengthened my core muscles and made my back feel good too. I could also do mini exercises like leg lifts while I was working. I also did some wall sits during short breaks. I started bringing healthier snacks that filled me up longer with me. Hope this helps a little....Good Luck!!!!
  • MOMOFTWO29
    MOMOFTWO29 Posts: 8,276 Member
    Options
    Hello and welcome to MFP. This site is awesome. You will love it here if you don't already. I love it here. It is so motivational, supportive, helpful, easy to use and everyone is so nice and friendly here. I just wanted to tell you good luck on your weight loss journey. You can do this!!!!!!!! :smile: :flowerforyou: :smile: :flowerforyou:
  • hgirl1021
    hgirl1021 Posts: 115
    Options
    :heart: hello miss jen! welcome from ur friend jessica. i'll support u in all u do...i'm here for ya =)