confused

Options
Hello all... So far Ive lost 7 lbs and Im quite thrilled by that! I work out regularly and about a week ago I added some weight training for toning. I feel good and feeling very trimmed. I decided to weigh myself this morning. To my amaze the scale showed a gain of two lbs!!! I dont understand??? Could this be muscle weight? water retention??? do i need to stop the weight training in order to lose more pounds? any advice/help is appreciated:flowerforyou:

Replies

• Aèlis18118360
    Options
    Hi.

No, you absolutely don't have to stop the weight training.

The weight can fluctuate a lot, it's completely normal, even two pounds.

Keep checking your calories intake and weigh yourself once a week, in the morning.
  • newbeginnings6
    Options
    Good morning! I did the same thing, to my dismay. I finally figured out that (in my case) I was not getting enough calories and was going into starvation mode. I was keeping my calories between 1200 to 1300 calories and my calorie rate to do nothing but survive is 1606 calories. You may want to use the tools and figure out how many calories you need to do nothing, just survive, and see if you are getting enough calories. I raised my calorie count to 1500 and lost 1.8 pounds overnight. Hope this info helps :-)
  • penroseg
    penroseg Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    Anytime I haven't done any weights or strength training, and then start back up, I usually gain 3-4 lbs and it takes a few days for them to go away..... But it's totally normal.
  • newday332
    newday332 Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    Hi Tarahs,

You might want to purchase a measuring tape and track your inches loss . Muscles weight is heavier than fat so the scale may fluctuate. HOWEVER, keeping track of those inches will definitely let you see the great progress you are making. I am doing the P90x program which incorporates weights. Hope this helps.
  • solman66
    solman66 Posts: 175 Member
    Options
    Definitely keep weight training and try not to worry so much about the scale. Yes it is almost guaranteed water weight.
    Especially when you first start weight training, the muscles tend to hold on to more water after a workout.
  • Looney123
    Looney123 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    The same exact thing happened to me. I exercised more than usual this week, watched everything that I ate, came in below my calorie count almost every day, and I also gained two pounds. It's very depressing. I feel like giving up!

I'm going to try to add calories even though that sounds wrong, and see what happens next week.