running question

Options
hey

so i posted a while back about pain in my right calf when running - finally got that sorted with calf compression and newly fitted trainers

but now this might sound weird but my left leg (which is my weaker leg) feels as though its really limp espcially at the ankle area and when i am running it feels unsupported.

would an ankle support help? or could i strengthen the muscles in the ankle in any way to prevent this?

also i now have a slight pain in the side of the left calf when running - but its managable but i am still not sure what that is.

i do stretching after warm up and cool down ( as recommended by the PT) and i also do massage to my calfs as i know they are tight .

any advice would be great

Replies

• lucysmommy
    lucysmommy Posts: 460
    Options
    Bump
  • michaelthorsonjr
    Options
    I would definitely recommend ankle support and you can even wear ankle compression sleeve after your run to help relieve that muscle.
  • Becky_Boodle
    Becky_Boodle Posts: 253 Member
    Options
    Stretching before running can be potentially harmful...
    when your muscles are "cold" stretching could damage it...
    I suggest jumping jacks and squats and moving around to get the blood pumping through your legs
    and then stretching the muscles after your run...
  • Danpellizzari
    Options
    I would caution in the ankle brace for running. You don't want your ankle to become dependent on it for strength or support. Do you have a previous ankle injury? I saw you do PT exercises. I would try incorporating some calf strength training. Calf raises (seated and standing). Incorporate them into leg days. Good luck! Add me if you like.
  • kechiemc
    kechiemc Posts: 1,355 Member
    Options
    Welcome to running.:flowerforyou: Done properly it is a fun sport and a great way to maintain your weight.

"but now this might sound weird but my left leg (which is my weaker leg) feels as though its really limp especially at the ankle area and when i am running it feels unsupported."

Make sure you are not lacing your left shoe too tight. I know this sounds weird and trivial but it is something that I have personally experienced.

Happy running!
  • lucysmommy
    lucysmommy Posts: 460
    Options
    thanks for all the replies

i have never injured this ankle at all - i dont where this has come from at all, its fine at rest and walking but it feel strange

also today in the upper front of my calf to the left of my shin the muscle seemed to spasm also.

i am at a loss - i thought when i conquered the right calf cramps i would be off running but this hasnt happened :-(