Calculating TDEE based on daily activity

Options
So, seeing all the "I don't know how much to eat" posts everyday, I found a link in another thread to a calculator that's extremely helpful in determining both BMR and TDEE based on weight and your specific daily activities.

http://www.health-calc.com/diet/energy-expenditure-advanced

BMR - basal metabolic rate - the amount of calories your body requires to perform basic functions - the number of calories you'd burn staying in bed all day.

TDEE - total daily energy expenditure - the amount of calories you require to perform daily activities (keep in mind this is NOT only referring to a planned workout, but everything else you do in a day - sleep, sit, stand, walk, clean, argue on forums, what have you...)

The results from the calculator will give you both numbers.

Eat at your TDEE - maintain weight
Eat at an amount below your TDEE but higher than your BMR (calorie deficit - typ. 500 calories) - lose weight

If you're a very active person, you'll have a higher TDEE. It will vary based on daily activity, but generally you can calculate an appropriate daily intake based on your weight loss goals. The calculator is extremely helpful for those that perform a lot of light activity - standing / light walking work - this work adds up!

For example:

My BMR - 1392
My TDEE (strength day) - 2360
My TDEE (HIIT day) - 2526
My TDEE (Rest day) - 2155

So, on a non-rest day, I should be eating 1800-2000 calories. On a rest day, 1600-1700 calories.

I've been eating an average of 1800 calories / day prior to calculating this, so it confirms I'm on track for my goals.

Try it out!

Replies

• chasekilgannon
    Options
    Nice source! Definitely something I'm bookmarking for when I plateau, or when I've lost a significant amount of weight that I'll need to recalculate my intake.

Doubt it'll stop the other threads though. :P
  • Barneystinson
    Barneystinson Posts: 1,357 Member
    Options
    Nice source! Definitely something I'm bookmarking for when I plateau, or when I've lost a significant amount of weight that I'll need to recalculate my intake.

Doubt it'll stop the other threads though. :P

Yeah, they'll keep coming :)
  • Yori1
    Yori1 Posts: 142
    Options
    Bump
  • Papillon22
    Papillon22 Posts: 1,160 Member
    Options
    This is interesting. I'm gonna check it out.
    Btw, arguing on forums burns calories? how many? I need to start counting them in! :laugh:
  • LickyNees
    LickyNees Posts: 101 Member
    Options
    great tks!
  • Yori1
    Yori1 Posts: 142
    Options
    bump
  • Snubbleup
    Snubbleup Posts: 66
    Options
    bump
  • trysha1231
    trysha1231 Posts: 163 Member
    Options
    OK, so if I figured this out right:
    BMR 1419
    TDEE 2584 (this figure includes my work out calories expended)
    To lose weight I would eat under my TDEE, yet never below my BMR?
  • strawberrie_milk
    strawberrie_milk Posts: 381 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the link! Really awesome :)
  • lin7604
    lin7604 Posts: 3,019 Member
    Options
    wow i got such high numbers.. i don't see how i can loose weight with those numbers?
  • AnaVerasGettingFit
    AnaVerasGettingFit Posts: 109 Member
    Options
    bump
  • courtneybot
    courtneybot Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    bump!
  • tina219
    tina219 Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    bump
  • billtonkin
    billtonkin Posts: 109
    Options
    The thing about TDEE is it's not 100% accurate. Everyone is different and a lot of people over estimate their activity factor. It's a good thing, but you will more than likely need to adjust your calories up or down 100-300 calories to find your perfect maintenance.
  • allynady
    allynady Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    bump
  • billtonkin
    billtonkin Posts: 109
    Options
    how can it be right, I got 2900kcal TEE and 2138BMR with adding no exercise 5'10 210 lbs...I've been eating 1500 cals and I'm fully satisfied with that amount over a day

I'd say that as a 20 year old male, only eating 1500 cals at that height and weight, you are probably losing a lot of muscle weight as well as fat.
  • BetterWithAge
    Options
    Saving to read later
  • twoscimitars
    twoscimitars Posts: 272 Member
    Options
    Wow. It tells me my TDEE is 3500 cals, and my BMR is 1900. And the only activity I added was 2 hours of light exercise and 1 hour of standing. (8 hours of sleep). I would have to say that's WAY high. If I ate 2500 cals a day, I would not be losing weight.

Right now I'm eating 1600 cals a day, exercising (walking or elliptical) approximately 4 -5 times per week, and losing steadily - about 10 pounds a month.
  • Helloitsdan
    Helloitsdan Posts: 5,564 Member
    Options
    I believe this is one of the most important numbers for any type of diet.
    It certainly takes the stress out of seeing red!