Loose skin as you lose weight?

Options
Is or has anyone experienced loose skin during or after weight loss? I know it's a common thing, but I want to hear your experiences. What products did you use for firming and toning? Anyone have amazing skin and it firmed and toned on its own?

Replies

• microwoman999
    microwoman999 Posts: 545 Member
    Options
    bump :)
  • bluberrygoo
    bluberrygoo Posts: 222 Member
    Options
    My skin is actually tightening as I lose.
  • youarewhatyoueat86
    youarewhatyoueat86 Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    They say it depends how long you've been overweight and how quickly you lose the weight. I'm just wondering if anyone has experience or suggestions on the topic.

But bluberry that's good! Good for you. I guess I'll just have to wait and see.
  • emma110984
    emma110984 Posts: 125 Member
    Options
    bump
  • samhelen
    samhelen Posts: 98
    Options
    I've had a few friends that have seen mixed results -- the ones that didn't have a somewhat intense exercise/weight lifting regime tended to have more issues with loose skin than those that have worked out consistently as they've lost the weight -- I really think its a combination of genetics, how overweight you were/are, and time...
  • ajanmillie
    ajanmillie Posts: 241 Member
    Options
    I am saggy everywhere but at least it is only skin and not fat!
  • kristenn1989
    kristenn1989 Posts: 223 Member
    Options
    I have a lot of excess skin and I find it rather bothersome and ugly. I've been told by a doctor that in my case it probably won't tighten up on its own.
  • Jmstill300
    Jmstill300 Posts: 239 Member
    Options
    I've having some serious issues with extra skin since I've lost the weight I have (149 lbs in 10 months). It was recommended to me to give the skin time to readjust due to my age (30), but if after some time, there's no change, it's time to go the doctor and see what they recommend. I'm hoping it clears up on it's own.
  • Victoria2448
    Victoria2448 Posts: 559 Member
    Options
    Is or has anyone experienced loose skin during or after weight loss? I know it's a common thing, but I want to hear your experiences. What products did you use for firming and toning? Anyone have amazing skin and it firmed and toned on its own?

Many things determine what your skin will do after weightloss. Genetics, age, and diet. For example, sugar is said to break down collagen in your body. Some foods are said to build collagen.

Your skin will continue to tighten up for about two years after weightloss.
  • Altruista75
    Altruista75 Posts: 409 Member
    Options
    I've heard a bunch of mixed things on this topic as well. I was going to give it awhile to see how my skin adjusts but if I don't see big improvements I have a feeling surgery will be in the cards to get some of it removed! The body is an amazing thing so it can probably adjust (I'm hoping)!
  • beccarockslife
    beccarockslife Posts: 816 Member
    Options
    It's pretty much genetic, keep well hydrated and be patient! It can take a year at target weight to really see results.
  • rockyshrode
    rockyshrode Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    bump
  • Aerohead21
    Aerohead21 Posts: 333 Member
    Options
    When I lost weight the first time I had saggy and loose skin. I was totally embarrassed by it but it never bounced back and I did have an intense exercise regimen. I expect it to happen this time around as well.

I think if you are prepared for it, it will be easier to deal with emotionally.
  • bkandisjj29
    bkandisjj29 Posts: 172
    Options
    I was worried about the same thing because this is my first diet since having two babies. A friend recommended doing pilates for abs 3x a week saying that this would help big time. I have only lost 15 pounds so far, but no loose skin yet, my belly actually is looking so much better. I use Leslie Sansone 10 minute solution. Only 10 minutes 3x a week.
  • jaqiswany
    jaqiswany Posts: 76
    Options
    My friend and I hired a Vibro step to help with toning as we dieted.

It worked out alot cheaper than attending a gym etc to use one.

We liked it so much we ended up buying it , it was a personal sale rather than from a company so we got a bargain ( the lady had lost interest in it )

We have noticed a big difference and use it 10 mins each day , it took 2 weeks to start showing results . Im hoping that with continued use everything will continue to tighten as we go , fingers crossed.
  • Rahul_ahuja
    Options
    My skin is actually tightening as I lose.

Same with me I believe thats coz we are young
  • kschmi24
    kschmi24 Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    I found these articles on avoiding loose skin if it is possible:

http://www.fitday.com/fitness-articles/fitness/weight-loss/how-to-avoid-having-loose-skin-after-losing-weight.html
    http://www.livestrong.com/article/76938-prevent-loose-skin-after-weight/
    http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/28354842/ns/health-fitness/t/lose-weight-gain-loose-suit-skin/#.T1tv8_V2H2Q

Most say stay hydrated, moisturize your skin regularly, keep up your exercise regimen and lose weight slowly to help minimize sagging skin. Note the word minimize, not avoid all together.
  • ThatGirlGlow
    ThatGirlGlow Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    Bump for later
  • kim457
    kim457 Posts: 15
    Options
    Age does play into it. My arms are horrible with loose skin and my legs. My surgeon told me mine would tighten a tad bit but not to expect them to tighten all the way up cause of my age. I just pray for plastic surgery one day
  • HeatherR930
    HeatherR930 Posts: 214 Member
    Options
    I'm 27 & have lost 55 lbs in 7 months, from a size 16 to a size 6-8. I work out a LOT, so I feel like that has helped, but I still have loose skin on my upper arms & stomach, with a little on my neck. I will continue to work out & hope that over time, the skin will realize there isn't fat filling it anymore, nor will there ever be again, & decide to tighten up! I've heard it can take a couple years, so I will just keep doing my thing & be patient! I truly don't believe that creams can do it, so I'm not wasting my time or money on that. Just my personal opinion, though.