FUSTRATION

Options
Hi all, I have not posted on here in a while and I just had to rant today, sorry. I am so fustrated, I had an RNY (gastric bypass) on 1/30 I lost over 20lbs in the first two weeks, and then nothing since. I am in a stall that has lasted over 4weeks. I am following the diet eating no more than 400-600 calories a day and working out that many calories when ever possible. Seems like nothing that I am doing is worth it, nothing is working. Now I am mad at myself, at my surgery, and at my weight. Uggh I have been getting depressed, but today I went into a box of too small clothes, tried them on and all besides one outfit fit me. I must be loosing inches, just not pounds. Now I am mad at myself for not trusting in my new tool. Man these head games are hard for me.

Replies

• Dave198lbs
    Dave198lbs Posts: 8,810 Member
    Options
    eating so little your body is trying to save all it can so you dont die. you need to eat more.
  • crafterpaula
    crafterpaula Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    it sounds like to me your bodies in a starvation mode! its going to hold on anything you eat until you start eating 1200 calories!then it will probably take another week before your body will realize that it can let the pounds go ! and thats a promise !{nup those cals }!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
  • vikkilmp
    vikkilmp Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    Is it because of the surgery that you are restricted to such few calories? That seems very low and if your body is going into "starvation" mode, I can understand why you would level out after the initial weight loss. Are you able to increase your calorie level now? Sounds like you are exercising and your body may need some more fuel to keep going. I also have to say, it is good to hear that you are seeing a difference in how your clothes feel though!! Whatever you do, don't give up!! Revise your plan if you can and keep going! You can do it!
  • hooligansmom
    hooligansmom Posts: 122 Member
    Options
    If you are frustrated and worried that your surgery and new way of eating are not working, it might be worth a follow up consultation with a health care professional. It seems to me that a 20 lb weight loss followed by a period of body change but no weight loss may not be a bad thing. Even with surgery, the weight takes time to come off.

I hope you are feeling better soon!
  • Balance27
    Balance27 Posts: 76 Member
    Options
    Talk to your doctor. They should be able to tell you what is going on. They may redesign your diet to allow more calories while you are working out
  • seekingstrengthX2
    Options
    Agree. If you are eating 600 calories and burning 600 calories, your body is left with ZERO. Your body cannot function on Zero. If you are exercising a lot, I would get your doctors permission to up that to "at least" 1000 or so. People I've known that had that surgery were not kept on 400-600 calories for such a long period of time.
  • FlaxMilk
    FlaxMilk Posts: 3,452 Member
    Options
    I think talking to your doctor like someone said is the only safe advice at this point in time. Good luck! :)
  • heidithompson78
    Options
    Thanks everyone, I have called the office 4 times this week (almost every day) no phone call back, uggh. I may increase without permission, this week I advance to normal food (from soft food) and I think that it may be easier to get in more calories, right now I struggle to eat 600....
  • chuckles217
    chuckles217 Posts: 123 Member
    Options
    any doc that won't call back post surgery is an idiot.

Call your PCP at least or march up to the office of the surgeon or whomever.
  • TrishJimenez
    TrishJimenez Posts: 561 Member
    Options

I second this opinion. My mom had a gastric bypass 10 years go. It can be dangerous with out the follow up visits etc. Go talk to your dr. They should be seeing you every 4 weeks anyways.
  • JoolieW68
    JoolieW68 Posts: 1,879 Member
    Options

This. The doc has an ethical responsibility to return your call (IMO). Definitely call your regular doc.
  • Tourney3p0
    Tourney3p0 Posts: 290 Member
    Options
    Most of the standard advice here about how much to eat, how much activity to do, etc, is not valid since you had gastric bypass. In the interest of safety, I would ignore all advice on here and do exactly what the doctor says.
  • JoolieW68
    JoolieW68 Posts: 1,879 Member
    Options
    Most of the standard advice here about how much to eat, how much activity to do, etc, is not valid since you had gastric bypass. In the interest of safety, I would ignore all advice on here and do exactly what the doctor says.

Why should the OP ignore advice to call the doctor to talk about what's going on!?!!?!
  • Tourney3p0
    Tourney3p0 Posts: 290 Member
    Options
    Why should the OP ignore advice to call the doctor to talk about what's going on!?!!?!

Okay, ignore all the advice except that. And this. And this.