Calling all Christian Women!!

Options
I need some prayers!! My motivation is at an all time low!! Actually, it's low all the time! HA! I am so busy caring for my mother who is in Hospice Care and I'm also a wife and grandmother to five beautiful children. I stay busy, but wind up not eatting healthy at all. I'd really like to get a DVD to help me exercise, but I'm 60 years old and have a bad back and bad knees. Can anyone suggest a good exercise DVD for old granny here?

In HIS gracious love,
Nancy

Replies

• betheranne
    betheranne Posts: 44
    Options
    I recommend checking the schedule on your local PBS station. On the station where I work we air a couple of different exercise programs.

One is Body Electric:
    http://www.bodyelectrictv.com/

Another is Classical Stretch:
    http://www.classicalstretch.com/

These are both great programs and we receive wonderful feedback from them. I used to tape and do the Body Electric programs. They are good strength training.

You mentioned a bad back and bad knees. I don't know how bad they are. The last series we air is Sit and Be Fit:
    http://www.sitandbefit.org/

Here's a description of the series:
    The series has earned a loyal following due to its effectiveness in profoundly improving the health and wellness of older adults, physically limited individuals and those managing chronic conditions and chronic pain.
  • ptrad
    ptrad Posts: 22
    Options
    I think that I'd look at yoga, and pilates, low impact. Try your library first and see what you can find. These are gentle to the body and tend to work you where you are comfortable w/out injury. Walking is great, and I do believe that some sort of very basic strength training is very important to strengthen core and to remain active. I am 53, do a combination of it all, bike, jog, and some very basic strength training which I do at home. I'm not good at driving to work out. I am a later mom raising 16, 14, 12 y/o children. My sister has grandchildren already! So I owe it to myself to try to keep in some semblance of activity. I must say that i eat stress right up! That's my hardest issue, stress eating. Take care and God bless. Best to you!
  • pange
    pange Posts: 82
    Options
    I'm pretty young, so I have no advice for you. But I will pray for your back, knees, motivation, and, well, you! :wink:
  • JaneAusten
    JaneAusten Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    I'll pray for you too! I recommend a Pilates ball. I'm 58 and also have a bad back, it really helps your back, and you can just avoid any exercises that bother your knees. Mine came with an instruction DVD, I don't know how they sell them in the States, but an instruction dvd should be available somewhere. Also, swimming is a good option.
  • rolandhulme
    rolandhulme Posts: 148 Member
    Options
    I'm a man and I don't believe in God, but you're still in my thoughts! I'm sorry your motivation is low, but don't give up! I've read SO MANY inspiring stories on My Fitness Pal. They really helped me stick to this diet, even though I'd flunked on every slimming plan I'd tried for years before. This time it worked because of all the great people here. It's really an amazing site and people are so supportive of each other.

My best wishes and positive thoughts for you!
  • kellibe
    kellibe Posts: 11
    Options
    i have just the one for you, leslie sansone, you can check here web site out at www.walkathome.com
    you will love her
    she was the first one the lORD lead me thru in my health journey...
    you will be blessed. she does in home walking videos, dvd's
    let me know what you think..
  • yessie75
    yessie75 Posts: 152
    Options
    check your local library. I looked into ours and most of the DVD were for seniors, they had all kinds of appropriate exercises.
  • nancymc
    nancymc Posts: 9
    Options
    Thank you for the wonderful suggestions!! I will definitely check them all out!

God Bless!

Nancy