I thought shopping was supposed to get funner...?

Options
Ok so Im not sure if its just me but last weekend i was at the mall shopping for a outfit for a party we were attending and my boyfriend brought it to my attention that I skipped most of the stores that I actually like the things in.. like (H&M, Forever21 and others). We ended up going in and even though they had the exact things i was looking for I didnt really grab anything.. finally he had to help me.. (which is crazy in itself lol) and made me try some things on.... To my astonishment they fit!! I was so happy.. but he looked at me and was like "you do remember you lost 50lbs.. you can wear these sizes now." and it hit me... I dont feel smaller.. I know i have lost weight but I still try to shop in the plus size section only.. which i can still fit a few things there but I actually can fit into the regular sizes too and I didnt hit me until i zipped it up.. even as i was putting it on I was ready for the too snug moment and let down. AM I CRAZY? or do others see themself bigger even after the weight is gone?? I still have a good 50+lbs to go but I dont feel like im enjoying the moment of losing the 1st 50 yet... and when i reach my goal.. will i still be weery of clothes? I guess im wondering because I usually LOVE to shop and i thought it would be even more amazing now. :(

Replies

• e_NV_y
    e_NV_y Posts: 100 Member
    Options
    Lil update.. Im getting better! More comfortable now.. which is nice but weird to have to actually get comfortable shopping again lol. oh well work in progress always. :)
  • vickieross
    vickieross Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    I always thought of myself as a fat even when I had my weight under control and weighed what I wanted to. This Time I'm changing my outlook!!
  • carolann_22
    carolann_22 Posts: 364 Member
    Options
    Yep - I lost 135 pounds after college and kept it off until I had my first baby (6 years). It took me at least two years before I started trying on my true size (size 8) the first time - I used to always start with 14's, and then be surprised when I had to go lower. Looking at pictures from back then, I really had NO IDEA in my head how fit and toned I was. I still thought I was the chunky girl.
  • Wickedmeowmer
    Options
    Don't feel bad, my best friends and family always make fun of how baggy my clothes are. I recognize that I choose very loose styles and i have a feeling its all in my head too!

I guess I am not conditioned to wearing close fitting items and it feels so uncomfortable to me!
  • mes1119
    mes1119 Posts: 1,082 Member
    Options
    I'm the same way. I get down on myself for being "fat" but then I remember that I've lost the weight.

It's like my mind hasn't gotten used to the way my body looks now.
  • phresh21
    phresh21 Posts: 132 Member
    Options
    I feel that way sometimes depending on where I go. I have an addiction to American Eagle because their pants run big. Even tho I know I'm a good 16 I can fit into a 14 there because of how they are made and it makes me feel special cause they are smaller.
  • Martucha123
    Martucha123 Posts: 1,093 Member
    Options
    It happend to me all the time at first.
    I would grab size 10 and 8 to try on, both to big so I would leave the shop discouraged...
    After 3 attempts I went shoping with a note om my mobile saying: pick up only size 6 aqnd 4
    Had to keep on checking it every time when I was picking up clothes, but it workde :)
  • _Bob_
    _Bob_ Posts: 1,487 Member
    Options
    I just hit that size too. I'm at the top end of the sizes at regular stores and it feels good. I do know what you're talking about I still go straight for the big and tall section and my wife pushes me back to the regular sections.

still have a ways to go but these NSVs are nice :)
  • thepetiterunner
    thepetiterunner Posts: 1,238 Member
    Options
    My college roommate was the same way. She had lost 60-70 lbs a few years ago, but whenever we'd go out, she'd consistently pick up clothes in sizes WAY too big for her current form. She just couldn't get out of that mindset. I think she had sort of a mild case of body dysmorphic syndrome, or that's how she described it, anyway.

Enjoy shopping in the lower sizes :)
  • anfmusicgrl
    anfmusicgrl Posts: 63 Member
    Options
    YEP. I am down to the tail end of my clothes left that fit (well pants mainly, shirts last long) and the smallest ones are very baggy....I KNOW I aboslutely need to get some pants to hold me over for a while, because not only do they look sloppy for work, it doesn't show off my hard work!

BUT I have this fear that if I go, I'm going not fit into the next size down... (regular sizes)...in fact, I can't even convince myself to go to a store to try them on yet. I still see myself as just as big, even though my smallest pair of pants I own (which was an old "skinny" pair btw) are hanging off of me now.

I should go, I know.....I just can't even imagine what it will be like to be able to buy pants from regular stores. (instead of ordering online b/c I needed the bigger sizes)
  • Luandanielle1979
    Luandanielle1979 Posts: 747 Member
    Options
    I am exactly the same. I go shopping and choose sizes far too big for me only to have to get a smaller size brought into the changing room. I am convinced they must be a more generous sizing lol. You have acheived great things and look great.

Keep shopping and smiling x
  • e_NV_y
    Options
    Good to know Im not alone!! Its funny to me because when I was heavier I would always imagine how great it will be once I lost the weight and I can fit into the clothes I always wanted to but never was in my size.. Or shop in the stores I always pass in the mall because I know they dont carry anything over a Large. But now as i get closer to that moment im almost terrified of it! Maybe because I think that even with the weight gone I still wont be in those sizes or something... WHEN WILL IT GET EASY!?!?!? lol.
  • HonkyTonks
    HonkyTonks Posts: 1,193 Member
    Options
    Takes a while for it all sink in, doesn't it. But I am starting to get back into shopping again now that I am back into 'regular' stores. It's so great to see clothes I like and actually fit into them!!
  • AlmstHvn
    AlmstHvn Posts: 378 Member
    Options
    Funny how the brain and body are so often out of sync, isn't it? Good for your guy to guide you on into the store - do you know how rare that is!? :D

11842605.png
  • lunalulu2
    lunalulu2 Posts: 63 Member
    Options
    I definitely suffer from some body dysmorphia myself. Its not that I see myself as fat but I do not see myself as that thin either even though I can wear a size 0-2. I have had a few people even tell me I am too thin. But then again even before I lost 80lbs and was a size 16 I did not really see myself as that big either. I think I just always consider myself average hehe.

When I first lost all of the weight, my boyfriend was always getting frustrated when we would go shopping together because I would always pick clothes to try on that were way too big. Even the guy that worked at Old Navy that was helping me find jeans finally looked at me and said "you do not realize how small you are, do you?" It is weird how the mind works.

Even now that I am in maintenance and know what size I wear I still do not see myself as being "thin." I am not sure if that will ever change.
  • 81Katz
    81Katz Posts: 7,074 Member
    Options
    Yes, sometimes I still find my hands reaching for old sizes even though I know they would not fit in a million years now. It's an odd feeling picking the smaller sizes, it's an odd feeling when I try that size on and it fits, even more odd when I think it looks good. OK, not everything looks good, sometimes it just doesn't fit well or seem 'me'. But has shopping gotten better and less stressful, not to mention emotionally exhausting? YES, it's better in ways.

I remember when I was heavier, shopping for clothes only happened because I was out-growing clothes, it was not shopping for fun. I pretty much stopped attending events because I knew it meant I would have to buy clothes and of course that was just awful. I recall times bringing loads of clothes into the fitting rooms and nothing fit right, nothing looked right, sometimes I would cry and get really sad (or angry) and then just leave the store empty handed, berate myself the entire way home. I was a real joy to be around!

So I understand too. I agree, I definitely have a body perception issue going on. Some days I look at myself like "wow" and can see all the major progress I have made, and it's very odd sometimes to see a much smaller me. Other days I look at myself and say to myself "wow, you're a fat a--" or all the clothes I bought that I liked a day before when I put them on at home and think "hmmm, your a-- looks really fat in these jeans".

*sigh* :cry: It just seems never ending. It's one way or the other. Lots of confidence or lots of berating and self criticism. I hope I can find that happy medium one day.
  • hjacenko
    hjacenko Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    For me it took seeing my reflection in a mirror at mall to see my new small self. Then it finally hit me. I love going to try on mediums and larges. Even junior section fits.
  • e_NV_y
    Options
    Funny how the brain and body are so often out of sync, isn't it? Good for your guy to guide you on into the store - do you know how rare that is!? :D

11842605.png

Yes i know its rare!! he is a great support.. He has lost over a 100/lbs in a year and is very understanding of anxiety I get.. but it still is scary for me.. I almost feel out of place in those stores..