Mommy Tummy HELP

Options
Ive lost 24 pounds thanks to MFP <3 but I still have my "mommy tummy". I feel like I'm not losing anything on my lower stomach and love handle area. I know you cant spot train to shrink the muffin top area but are there any specific exercises that may help?

Replies

• jfcameron23
    jfcameron23 Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    I have the same problem. After cardio I will do reverse crunches and bicycles. I also do Pilate's for abs. I am starting to see some definition but still have a ways to go.
  • Teksavvy
    Teksavvy Posts: 133 Member
    Options
    As jfcameron23 mentioned, Pilates is great ab workout. Also try planks (regular and side). I still have to shed what's covering them, but I can feel an improvement.
  • MrsLong1980
    MrsLong1980 Posts: 181 Member
    Options
    Working out with a kettlebell has really helped with the back fat and a mixture of cardio / abs to burn off fat as well as tone muscle.
  • Vermilla
    Vermilla Posts: 348
    Options
    Women hold weight mostly in the stomach (as opposed to men who hold across the entire torso). Therefore, even with weight kiss, it's the last to go. That means that the stomach has been exposed to fat the longest, creating the "pouch" skin as well. Aerobics and target muscle exercises will help to tone it as you continue to lose weight.
  • kprofitt
    kprofitt Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I like the Be Fit Mom ab excercises, they really helped flatten my tummy after baby. The idea is that you need to strengthen your transverse abs (inner core muscles). Just googled it, and I see you can get some free moves here:

http://www.pregnancy-info.net/topic_other_topics.html
  • clickmaster
    clickmaster Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    I know you cant spot train to shrink the muffin top area but are there any specific exercises that may help?
    You can't spot "reduce" but you can spot "train". However, because you can't spot reduce and your problem is fat, all the exercise you can do won't help at all unless your diet allows it. So, keep dieting, keep losing, and eventually you lose some of it.

You may not find it's healthy to lose all that belly fat because you're talking about the first place we add fat and the last place we lose it. That means you'll need to diet down to a very low percent body fat...possibly single digits which is unhealthy for a woman. The "love handles" will go but that lower ab fat will be troublesome. You're very young, so welcome to what may be your first experience with the ravages of time and the fullness of living.

Exercise isn't going to tighten up your ad muscles because they work for you all day every day as you walk, bend, stand up, climb stairs, lift things, cough & sneeze, strain, and generally provide support for all the weight of your upper body. Doing endless ab/core exercises tp make your fat disappear will only result in dashed hopes.

So, that's the bad news. Keep up the fat loss and see where it takes you. Don't waste time with core exercises in anticipation of making your "mommy tummy" vanish...do them as part of a comprehensive body-wide general fitness maintenance program.

Good luck and good health!!

• Graciecny
    Graciecny Posts: 303
    Options
    OP, I have a long way to go with my weight loss, but I recently realized I have issues with separation of my abdominal muscles (diastasis recti, I believe it is called). I'm going to make an appointment with me GP because it feels like my internal organs are bulging out when I do any kind of crunch-type maneuver with my body (and I'm not talking exercise, I'm talking trying to get out of bed!). I wonder if this condition is dangerous at all, as it really feels like organs protrude through when I'm trying to sit up or lift my head.

Good luck, and I hope your able to find a solution! I can only imagine how frustrating it would be to lose a lot of weight and yet still be concerned about that area. I think, though, that is where I am headed.
  • Krissyraffo
    Krissyraffo Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    Thanks so much guys <3 I think I may start incorporating some pilates into my usual routine. <3
  • Krissyraffo
    Krissyraffo Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    Working out with a kettlebell has really helped with the back fat and a mixture of cardio / abs to burn off fat as well as tone muscle.

I love my kettlebell. :) I only have a 5 pound one but it really is fun to use.
  • LoopyLaura68
    LoopyLaura68 Posts: 76 Member
    Options
    I like the Be Fit Mom ab excercises, they really helped flatten my tummy after baby. The idea is that you need to strengthen your transverse abs (inner core muscles). Just googled it, and I see you can get some free moves here:

http://www.pregnancy-info.net/topic_other_topics.html

thank you for posting this link,i'll be trying these :)
  • MissFit0101
    MissFit0101 Posts: 2,382
    Options
    My tummy fat didn't come off until the last 5 lbs or so... It all stayed until the very end :(
  • cbenzerga
    cbenzerga Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    Warning TMI: I only have 12lbs to go, and i'm pretty sure the baby bulge will be the last to go. It's like 2 cups of fat! idk how else to describe it! erggg. I see such a difference everywhere else, and I know it must be getting better, but it's so aggrivating. It goes flat when i'm standing up but if im doing a plank or pushups, I can't even pull it in when contracting my abs as hard as I can...it hangs there, like hi I'm here! eww I hate it! So I feel ya! But from what everyone tells me, it will just be the last to go, then i'll tone it will crunches etc.
  • AislingRA
    AislingRA Posts: 56
    Options
    It is just so hard to lose from that area. I will be watching for all help!
  • melodyking
    Options

I love my kettlebell. :) I only have a 5 pound one but it really is fun to use.

it has done a lot of good to my tummy area. very quickly too :)
  • lkm111
    lkm111 Posts: 629 Member
    Options

Yes! KB workouts made a big difference for me!

I just finished 12 wks of Turbo Fire, but I am ready to mix kettlebells back in.
  • koolmamasan
    Options
    Anyone know how to calculate exercises for the Brazilian Butt Lift? I have the DVD's but not sure how to calculate the repitetions and how many calories I've burned. If anyone can help, i'd appreciate it. Thanks.