Hourly Weight Fluctuations

Options
Ok, so I always weigh myself at the same time: first thing in the morning, before eating or drinking anything, but after going pee lol, and that's how I've been tracking my weight loss. However, if I do weigh myself at any other time of day, my weigh varies up to 2 lbs (increase :noway: ) Should I be taking the heaviest reading I get during a day or just stick to my morning weigh-ins? How can it change so much??:angry:

Replies

• BrendaLee
    BrendaLee Posts: 4,463 Member
    Options
    Definitely keep doing your morning weigh-ins. Our weight fluctuates throughout the day, and is, of course a little higher after consuming a full day's worth of food.
  • gemiwing
    gemiwing Posts: 1,525 Member
    Options
    You put things in your body- they have weight. Water, food etc.

Don't weigh yourself throughout the day- it'll just confuse you and doesn't help you lose weight.
  • memaw66
    memaw66 Posts: 2,558 Member
    Options
    Just use the first one. That is the most accurate.

Memaw
  • likes2bwet
    likes2bwet Posts: 275 Member
    Options
    I personally do first thing in the morning after bathroom break but before I put on any clothing. Pretty much same routine every day. I find that makes me happiest :smile:
    The other day I actually spent the whole day at home. I stepped on that stinkin scale so many different times. Pretty much everytime I walked into the kitchen or down stairs to change laundry. I decided that for my mental well being, I shant not EVER do that again..it was up and down like a yoyo..talk about getting dizzy :sick:
  • Iceprincessk25
    Iceprincessk25 Posts: 1,888 Member
    Options
    Your actual weight will be the most accurate in the morning after you've gone to the bathroom and if you're buck naked.

Weighing in the afternoon/evening isn't so hot because you've had all sorts of food and liquid that are adding to your weight.

It's not uncommon for your weight to fluctuate up to 5 pounds during the day.
  • planetcitygirl73
    planetcitygirl73 Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    Honestly, so much can affect your weight from water to clothing to muscle gain to your period (for females), etc. that it's crazy-making to weigh yourself more than once a day. It's even better to get an overall picture of how you're doing if you weigh weekly instead of daily. You can be exercising and eating well, but a little extra salt or some strength training can mess with those numbers day to day. If you're following your set plan for calorie intake and exercise, the weight will come off; it just may not happen in the way/time you want it to, but it will.
  • donnadelno
    Options
    weight watchers told us that a glass of water weighs a pound! SO, yes, same time same method of weigh in each day and you will know for sure that you are losing. Don't forget if you are dehydrated, your scale can be down as much as 3 pounds. I weigh each day for 4 years and contemplated bringing my scale on our campout, too, just to not lose track!
    Donna ......................... - 20 pounds in California! I love MFP tracking!!
  • arewethereyet
    arewethereyet Posts: 18,702 Member
    Options
    00020115.gif

This is my smiley for the scale. You can drive yourself absolutely nuts! Oh and don't weigh yourself on any scale but the one you usually do......my home and dr's scales are exact.........but at the gym...oh boy I gain 6 pounds stepping on there.

:flowerforyou: Jeannie
  • arewethereyet
    arewethereyet Posts: 18,702 Member
    Options
    weight watchers told us that a glass of water weighs a pound! SO, yes, same time same method of weigh in each day and you will know for sure that you are losing. Don't forget if you are dehydrated, your scale can be down as much as 3 pounds. I weigh each day for 4 years and contemplated bringing my scale on our campout, too, just to not lose track!
    Donna ......................... - 20 pounds in California! I love MFP tracking!!

Donna...........pop up your ticker girl........and proudly display your weight loss!! WOOT!!
  • pattitricia85
    Options
    same thing happens to me. I weight myself every saturday morning. I wake up very hungry (since i slept in), go to the bathroom if i need to, then weigh myself. That is my lowest weight, and the one i use! I can weigh myself 2 hours later and be 3 lbs heavier.