Water weight contributing to inch gain?

Options
Since I'm not getting any answers in my previous post, I thought I'd post this here because I really need answers. I'm thoroughly depressed. Is it possible that water weight is contributing to inch gain? I woke up to a gain in inches all over, but I haven't eaten enough to possibly gain weight. I don't use the scale anymore because it just frustrated me.

I started swimming laps for exercise 2 days ago. That's the only thing that's changed in my exercise and diet plan.

Replies

• lumina0o0
    lumina0o0 Posts: 498 Member
    Options
    If your building muscle it can cause you to gain inches
  • graysmom2005
    graysmom2005 Posts: 1,882 Member
    Options
    Is it TOM? I gained like THREE inches in my waist from water. Stupid TOM! LOL!
  • FireTigerSoul
    FireTigerSoul Posts: 274 Member
    Options

I only have a TOM twice a year due to medical reasons. I don't know if it's still possible to retain water monthly even though I'm taking BC?
  • AlexJourneyHall
    AlexJourneyHall Posts: 137 Member
    Options
    Same as graysmom. I have gained an inch or so from water weight and plus i ate salty food and alittle junk food and poof in one week over an inch.
  • birdlover97111
    birdlover97111 Posts: 346 Member
    Options
    YES..!!...You can retain water in every area of your body....If I don't drink enough water, my entire body will bloat...Feet, arms, legs, ankles, stomach, face, etc.....Lower your sodium and increase your PURE water intake...I try and drink a minimum of 1 gallon per day...Sometimes, it hard but it's worth it...

"The Solution to Pollution is Dilution"
  • new2locs
    new2locs Posts: 271 Member
    Options

I only have a TOM twice a year due to medical reasons. I don't know if it's still possible to retain water monthly even though I'm taking BC?

Even though you only cycle twice a year, your body will still go through the monthly changes. I have friends who have had full hysterectomies(sp)? that stil have symptoms of their menstruals. So it is very likely for you as well.
  • FireTigerSoul
    Options

Even though you only cycle twice a year, your body will still go through the monthly changes. I have friends who have had full hysterectomies(sp)? that stil have symptoms of their menstruals. So it is very likely for you as well.

Wow! I didn't realize that. Thanks for the info! Maybe I shouldn't worry too much about the inch gain then...since I haven't had a TOM for about 6 months now, I don't exactly remember when it's supposed to be. I hope that's all it is!
  • DuChene2012
    DuChene2012 Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    Depending on what you ate the night before you may gain water weight, and yes it can SEEM to add inches! Foods that cause water retention are generally foods high in sodium. Water will follow the sodium OUT OF the bloodstream and INTO tissues, causing the "bloated" feeling. Try eating some foods that are natural diuretics, such as celery, parsley (yes, parsley!), asparagus, watermelon, and hawthorn berries. Let me know how it works out for you! :smile:
  • FireTigerSoul
    Options
    Depending on what you ate the night before you may gain water weight, and yes it can SEEM to add inches! Foods that cause water retention are generally foods high in sodium. Water will follow the sodium OUT OF the bloodstream and INTO tissues, causing the "bloated" feeling. Try eating some foods that are natural diuretics, such as celery, parsley (yes, parsley!), asparagus, watermelon, and hawthorn berries. Let me know how it works out for you! :smile:

The weird thing is that I've been under on my sodium for the past 2 weeks with about 3 exceptions. :/
  • 3laine75
    3laine75 Posts: 3,070 Member
    Options
    if your not used to excercising you could be building muscle by swimming. when you damage the muscles they retain fluid for repairing themselves - this will clear up in a few days. Or TOM. Or too much sodium - cut back and drink more water :)
  • DuChene2012
    Options
    OK, so it isn't the sodium. Let's look at other possibilities:

1. Look on your nutrient report and see if you are under your goal for potassium.
    2. Check to see if you are not eating enough protein.
    3. Do you get enough vitamin B1 (thiamine)?
    4. Check your menstrual cycle to see if it's getting close. Generally, water retention begins to occur within 2 weeks of your cycle.
    5. Are taking any meds (birth control, steroids, NSAIDS)?
  • Naybelline
    Naybelline Posts: 407 Member
    Options
    I have problems with my "bits" Endometriosis. and I bloat like crazy. like put 6lbs on in 24 hours... then drop it again a few days later...
  • FireTigerSoul
    Options
    OK, so it isn't the sodium. Let's look at other possibilities:

1. Look on your nutrient report and see if you are under your goal for potassium.
    2. Check to see if you are not eating enough protein.
    3. Do you get enough vitamin B1 (thiamine)?
    4. Check your menstrual cycle to see if it's getting close. Generally, water retention begins to occur within 2 weeks of your cycle.
    5. Are taking any meds (birth control, steroids, NSAIDS)?

Potassium is a bit low...I take a daily multivitamin for everything else...I'm on BC, and I don't know when my cycle is supposed to begin because I only have a TOM once or twice a year.
  • DuChene2012
    Options
    The good thing about water retention is that it can resolve itself...just can be a little uncomfortable while it's visiting. Drinking too much water while cutting back on sodium can damage the body's ability to balance fluids. We need both sodium and potassium, along with protein, to help balance our fluids. If any of these are diluted from drinking too much water and not replacing our electrolytes, we will retain fluid. :mad:
  • katherinemm31
    Options
    I gain inches whenever I retain water. Sometimes my stomach starts looking like it will be flat any moment. The next day, I look like I'm in my first trimester.

I've also gained mass in my thighs from exercising. This is a huge drag because my thighs are already big. They aren't as flabby now, but that doesn't help me with my clothing.
  • Shock_Wave
    Shock_Wave Posts: 1,573 Member
    Options
    if your not used to excercising you could be building muscle by swimming. when you damage the muscles they retain fluid for repairing themselves - this will clear up in a few days. Or TOM. Or too much sodium - cut back and drink more water :)

x2 this and if it really bugs you then go hit a sauna for an hour and sweat it all out and whallaahhh bye bye inch :smile:
  • orangecrayon
    orangecrayon Posts: 293 Member
    Options
    OH MY GOSH! And during that time you have to watch your salt intake, too! Because of course you'll become bloated :(
  • Amy911Gray
    Amy911Gray Posts: 685 Member
    Options
    I'm still using the scales, but I can tell you it is possible to have that kind of gain due to water weight. Just keep doing what you are doing...it'll work out itself!
  • FireTigerSoul
    Options

x2 this and if it really bugs you then go hit a sauna for an hour and sweat it all out and whallaahhh bye bye inch :smile:

LOL love this suggestion. ;)
  • FireTigerSoul
    Options
    I gain inches whenever I retain water. Sometimes my stomach starts looking like it will be flat any moment. The next day, I look like I'm in my first trimester.

I've also gained mass in my thighs from exercising. This is a huge drag because my thighs are already big. They aren't as flabby now, but that doesn't help me with my clothing.

I'm glad I'm not the only one! I can feel muscles emerging from under the fat in my thighs, and I love it, but I'm not loving the extra .5 inch in 1 day....freaks me out and makes me think it's from fat. :(