Not losing inches?

Options
I am so confused right now. I have lost 6 pounds in 3 weeks but my measurements have not changed at all! My waist, hips, thighs, and body fat percentage have not budged I'm doing cardio and strength training 3 times a week. I just don't understand it? :indifferent:

Replies

• memaw66
    memaw66 Posts: 2,558 Member
    Options
    I know how you feel.
    I have lost almost 30lbs but when I take my measurements, they are almost the same. My clothes are fitting better and I am able to get into clothes I haven't been able to wear in aes.
    So I am not going to worry about the measurements as long as I know my clothes are fitting better and the scale is showing a difference.

Good luck to you.

Memaw
  • fraiseroja
    fraiseroja Posts: 215 Member
    Options
    You might have lost water weight. Keep going and inches are soon to follow :smile:
  • Poison5119
    Poison5119 Posts: 1,460 Member
    Options
    I hit a plateau about 3 months agoat 152, and when it finally broke, I lost 4 lbs, but no discernable inches. Continued patience, I guess.
  • hiddensecant
    hiddensecant Posts: 2,446 Member
    Options
    Are you doing enough strength training?

To some extent, there could be a loss of visceral fat, especially memaw66 because she has more to lose. But you could also be among those who lose inches evenly around the body so it will seem less with clothes and measurements at first but should speed up (imagine peeling the layers off a head of cabbage .. you don't notice it at first but it eventually gets small very quickly toward the end).

The other things that could be dropping are water and muscle mass, especially when you first change your diet and exercise. So be sure you're drinking all your water and getting that strength training in!
  • yolie1220
    yolie1220 Posts: 223 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone! :drinker:
  • 2catowner
    2catowner Posts: 94
    Options

To some extent, there could be a loss of visceral fat, especially memaw66 because she has more to lose. But you could also be among those who lose inches evenly around the body so it will seem less with clothes and measurements at first but should speed up (imagine peeling the layers off a head of cabbage .. you don't notice it at first but it eventually gets small very quickly toward the end).

The other things that could be dropping are water and muscle mass, especially when you first change your diet and exercise. So be sure you're drinking all your water and getting that strength training in!
    Ghanie is exactly right! I cannot believe how different my clothes fit since really increasing my strength training. My arms look totally different now, I never thought my arms would look this good at 44. Not that they are GREAT-- but they are great for me. I just wish I wasn't losing my "behind" because my clothes are really loose back side! I've only lost 9 lbs all together, but the strength training makes a HUGE difference.
  • ninaskys1090
    Options
    im not losing weight and im gainig inches but i exercise everyday and eat healthier then i usually eat. sometimes i dont eat. i dont understand im getting no where just gaining inches in my hips and neck and lost like 1 inch in my waist!!!!!!!!!!!no!!!!!:explode: :noway:
  • Zara11
    Zara11 Posts: 1,247 Member
    Options
    I first lost weight, then inches. Strength training really helped. Hang in there.
  • yolie1220
    Options
    im not losing weight and im gainig inches but i exercise everyday and eat healthier then i usually eat. sometimes i dont eat. i dont understand im getting no where just gaining inches in my hips and neck and lost like 1 inch in my waist!!!!!!!!!!!no!!!!!:explode: :noway:
    If you eat too little, you body will go into starvation mode and store all the fat and calories you DO eat. Be sure to eat at least 1200 calories a day. If you exercise everyday, you might be gaining muscle which will make you seem bigger if you aren't losing fat. Aim for 30 min of cardio at least 3 times a week to burn fat and unveil your toned muscles! :drinker:
  • yolie1220
    Options
    I first lost weight, then inches. Strength training really helped. Hang in there.
    It seems that you 30 pound loss by the end of August goal is coming along nicely. Great job! :flowerforyou:
  • hiddensecant
    hiddensecant Posts: 2,446 Member
    Options
    Gaining inches in the neck and hips are likely not due to muscle .... it sounds like your undereating and your body is scrounging for sources of energy, so things are getting rearranged.

Take one day off exercise per week, don't skip meals, and eat your exercise calories too.
  • fraiseroja
    fraiseroja Posts: 215 Member
    Options

Ghanie is exactly right! I cannot believe how different my clothes fit since really increasing my strength training. My arms look totally different now, I never thought my arms would look this good at 44. Not that they are GREAT-- but they are great for me. I just wish I wasn't losing my "behind" because my clothes are really loose back side! I've only lost 9 lbs all together, but the strength training makes a HUGE difference.

Great advice girls! Oh, if you want to see your butt come back do squats and lunges. Really squeeze the back of your butt when you do it and it will pop it right up. Zumba or booy dancing really helps too!!
  • ninaskys1090
    Options
    thanks guys!!!:smile: