spin class. what is it exactly

Options
subject says it all really.
what is it and why would it benefit me? is it fun?

Replies

• gail2207
    gail2207 Posts: 133
    Options
    I *think* it's just a class where people go on stationary bikes...but i'm not entirely sure.
  • mimi3087
    mimi3087 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    It's a class on a stationary bike with interval training, it's really good fun and a really really good workout, gets the heart rate up :) decently recommend it.
  • 3dogsrunning
    3dogsrunning Posts: 27,167 Member
    Options
    It is done on a stationary bike. The class usually consists of varied intensities set to songs. You can spin fast or increase tension with intervals of easy pedalling. It can be pretty challenging but is definitely the type of workout you can tailor to your fitness level and is generally a great cardio workout. You can burn a lot of calories during the class.
    I personally am not a fan, I just don't care for it. Tons of people love it. I would definitely recommend trying it out a few times before you decide.
  • Kid_Sampson
    Options
    If you're doing this at a day care center, it's where you spin around in the middle of the room until you fall down; last one standing wins.

But really, I would be more inclined toward actual cycling; spin class is good for when you can't—for one reason or another—actually go on a ride, or if you need that sort of motivation, intensity, etc. Depends on your type, I suppose.
  • bethelcheryl
    bethelcheryl Posts: 199 Member
    Options
    It's a unique form of torture that made my butt hurt for 3 days afterwards :)
  • leahbhollifield
    Options

^^^this^^^. But seriously, it's an awesome cardio class.
  • Emmea2729
    Emmea2729 Posts: 100 Member
    Options

lol love it

thanks guys
  • mlwatts2
    mlwatts2 Posts: 247
    Options
    Went to my first spin class this week :) I loved it!! Super fun and I honestly don't enjoy biking. Class is done on a stationary bike to fun music with interval training, as others have said. We focused on sprint and climbs and runs(different positions on the bike that work different muscles) Pretty intense I got a get burn and it was fun! I will definitely be adding it to my routine! Give it a try!
  • bethelcheryl
    bethelcheryl Posts: 199 Member
    Options
    I tried the spin class a few years ago and it was too much for me at the time. Now that I've been exercising more regularly, I could probably manage it. But now I no longer belong to a gym that has classes.
  • riskiestlavonn
    riskiestlavonn Posts: 207 Member
    Options
    Hey,

I took spin for a few months. It's a stationary bike (it's weighted, and you can turn up the resistance on the wheels when your instructor tells you to or when you would like to make the workout more difficult). You sit on your bike in rows with other students. They play really upbeat music (the one that I went to played a lot of "club music" and had the lights dimmed). Depending on what kind of class you take it could be 1) the type where your instructor takes you through a "mountain path". My instructor use to talk about the scenery around us and make us up resistence and lower resistence based on us going up or downhill. Or 2) the type where the instructor really encourages you with loud upbeat music. I think there are other types as well, but I neer went to them.

Personally I LOVED spin. The only reason I don't do it now is because the gym memberships in my area are way too. expensive. Oh well though.

FYI, there were about an equl number of men and women taking the class (it's a really good workout).