Drinking alcohol while trying to lose weight...?

Options
So I wouldn't say I'm some raging alcoholic... But i ammm 21 going on 22. So I drink about as much as any 21 year old with friends and social events. Do I need to completely cut drinking out to get back in shape?

Replies

• craignev
    craignev Posts: 1,247 Member
    Options
    Exercise earlier in the day so you have extra calories to use later that night :)

^^^^
    This

Work off your extra cals beforehand and then drink guilt free (you certainly won't feel like it the next day).
  • Shock_Wave
    Shock_Wave Posts: 1,573 Member
    Options
    Save up your cals and carbs to drink. If you go over then you will have to put in some over time on your exercises. If you like to have seveal drinks more than x2s a week then yes it would hinder you if you dont work out often.
  • beckamelia1
    Options
    Hey hun i exercise to cover my drink i only drink bacardi and diet fanta but some nights when drinking sets me back to like 600 cals but like i said i always exercise to be able to:-)
  • odonogc
    odonogc Posts: 223 Member
    Options
    When you do drink, I'd try to stick with something like straight vodka, you don't want to have a bunch of empty calories WITH your booz, you know?
  • jbrow2487
    jbrow2487 Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    Ya today I did a bit of extra exercising and I entered in the drinks that I'm having tonight and I am still under my calorie intake, but only just ;)
  • aliciakoral
    Options
    Ok so work out harder and earlier on Friday and Saturdays! :) Any low carb/cal drinks I should stick with?????
  • aliciakoral
    Options
    Ya today I did a bit of extra exercising and I entered in the drinks that I'm having tonight and I am still under my calorie intake, but only just ;)

No way..... Do you really plan your drinks ahead of time??!
  • TheRefoot
    Options
    I pretty much drink dry red wines to keep the calories down, and I don't really mix my whiskey, I just keep it in a flask at work.
  • creative1981
    creative1981 Posts: 182 Member
    Options

No way..... Do you really plan your drinks ahead of time??!

I factored in my drinks yesterday and stayed within my cals (just!) but then I'm boring and drink the same thing every time I go out ;)
  • tuffytuffy1
    tuffytuffy1 Posts: 920 Member
    Options
    I found that I really didn't start losing weight until I significantly cut back on the beer. But that's just me.
  • itsuki
    itsuki Posts: 520 Member
    Options
    getdrunknotfat.com
  • buzzcogs
    buzzcogs Posts: 296 Member
    Options
    I'm over twice your age so the rules may be different but I've cut out drinking for a while. 1. It slows me down and makes me lazy, 2. Booze has calories! 3. Even if I "work" it into my diet I don't think it is the best way to "eat" healthy. I should be using the calories for healthy food.
    In a nutshell, booze is fun but drinking NEVER makes anything better, ever. If you cut it out for a while and see how you do, you may be pleasantly surprised. Then you can ease into planning your drinking and have a couple of beers, glasses of wine, or cocktails a week.
    Don't get me wrong, I like my drink. But staying off of drinking for a while has given me more energy. Try it for a month and see.
    Good luck on what ever you do!
  • liveonlocation
    liveonlocation Posts: 90 Member
    Options
    I cut my drinking back considerably. But occasionally (last night) I drink whiskey. I counted the calories, the worst part is the crappy eating choices that go with the drinking. Apparently I had 2 pb&j sandwiches before bed last night and logged it. As long as I stay on track for the long term I'm cool with a night of whiskeys.

I figure I gained most of my weight from boozing in my 20's, so I am paying for it now by trying lose all those lbs.
  • jbrow2487
    jbrow2487 Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    Well I'm having Strongbow's so I just searched for them and entered it into the food tracker thing :)
  • Happyguy
    Happyguy Posts: 90 Member
    Options
    LOL, I love your avatar!
  • Becky_Boodle
    Becky_Boodle Posts: 253 Member
    Options
    I make sure to workout hard that day...like today...
    so I have the extra calories...
    and my drink of choice is vodka and water...
    the only calories in it, is the 60 per ounce from the vodka...
    :drinker:
  • aliciakoral
    Options
    getdrunknotfat.com

Freaking thank you. Exactly what I needed.