Proteins (Whey versus Soy)

Options
Just wondering...anyone using Whey or Soy proteines...let me know what you think about this OK thanks...I'm 64 and I was told that I needed to up my proteines to make more muscles so that when I exercise I burn more calories......What do you think about that. I'm afraid to gain weight

Replies

• DollHouseKiera
    Options
    According to my nutritionist, protein helps burn fat. I know that if my protein levels get too low, i dont lose weight. I was told that whey protein is more biocompatable, and I have to avoid soy due to the plant estrogens, so whey it is for me.

Protein bars and shakes are rather complicated when you first start out, and taste is really subjective. try going to a Vitamin Shoppe or GNC and getting some samples to see what you like and what you can tolerate.

Personally, I have to avoid sugar alcohols and stevia, so reading labels is a must. I prefer Quest Bars and Syntha-6 or Chike shakes. they are high in protein and low in sugar.

Good luck =)
  • Pandorian
    Pandorian Posts: 2,055 Member
    Options
    whey protein or hemp are my go-to's if my food for the day isn't going to cut it on the macros.

I won't touch soy any more than I have to, personal choice :)
  • Whinchat
    Whinchat Posts: 84 Member
    Options
    Hemp protein for me - I always found soya tasted grim and I don't eat dairy :)
  • maf66
    maf66 Posts: 211 Member
    Options
    I don't use either, sorry, but I do strive to consume 100g protein daily. Greek yogurt is high in protein, a small cup is like 14g. I snack on beef jerkey, cottage cheese, high protein tortilla's, pouches of albacore tuna, stuff like that. I have several friends who use whey protein in both baking and smoothies. I think I read somewhere though, that unless you're a body builder, your body can only metabolize 30g at a time. Anything over that turns easily to fat. Not sure if it's true or not...

Good Luck!!
  • douglasmobbs
    douglasmobbs Posts: 563 Member
    Options
    protein will help you build muscle mass. Your weight may go up a little bit if you are gaining muscle mass quicker than you are burning fat but this is not a bad thing. That being said you are unlikely to put on muscle quicker than you burn fat unless you are going down the gym regularly lifting heavy weights.

For protein supplements you need to look at how quickly they act, some are slow release and some are quick. The quick ones (whey) are best for targeting around exercise, the slow ones (casein) are typically used at the ends of the day to give a steady release over the day/night.

Here is a couple of good website for some background reading

http://www.proteinpowder.net/
    http://www.menshealth.com/supplements/articles/The_Protein-Powder_Primer.php

Protein can also be added to a diet without having supplements. Meats and dairy products are good sources of protein.

Chicken breast
    Lean ham
    Eggs (whites only if you need to keep an eye on fat)
    low fat cottage cheese
    yoghourt
  • secretgirl4611
    secretgirl4611 Posts: 474 Member
    Options
    when I first started working out about a month 1/2 ago. I started out at 140. and lost 5lbs. But then I started EAS CHOCOLATE WHEY PROTEIN in my smoothies post workout which was good I loved it and I gained back those 5lbs. In muscle im sure as I see the definition. But since then, I stopped taking the whey protein till I reach my goal first. So now I started drinking the SOYSILK FRUIT AND PROTEIN DRINKS. And they are VERY good and come in diff. flavors. I add them to smoothies as well. And so far It makes me feel great! and its healthy so yea I def. Recommend It :)

http://silksoymilk.com/products
  • Dave198lbs
    Dave198lbs Posts: 8,810 Member
    Options
    soy is garbage. avoid soy any time you can. they put that crap in everything.
  • maf66
    maf66 Posts: 211 Member
    Options
    whey protein or hemp are my go-to's if my food for the day isn't going to cut it on the macros.

I don't touch soy either... Or corn for that matter!
  • Emili03
    Emili03 Posts: 164 Member
    Options

Just curious, is there a reason you avoid Soy? Do you dislike the taste or are there some negatives to soy? I have started drink Silk Vanilla Soymilk on occassion and really like it...
  • Pandorian
    Pandorian Posts: 2,055 Member
    Options
    Something close to 90% or more of the soy grown in NA is GMO so I don't touch it. It's too soon for them to be able to say this stuff is 100% safe. I prefer open pollinated heritage breeds bred for taste not shelf stability at the grocers.
  • Birder150
    Birder150 Posts: 677 Member
    Options
    I have thyroid cancer so I avoid soy at all costs.
    Studies aren't conclusive but there are enough concerns about soy and its affects on breast cancer and thyroid for me to stay away.

I would choose the whey protein.

Could you also add some chicken or fish to your dinner?
    I eat a serving of protein at each meal and I'm getting close to 100 g of protein per day.
    If you like Greek yogurt, that is also high in protein.
  • purpleconnie
    Options
    I use soy products. I just make sure that they are non GMO. Silk soymilk is great and soy helps reduce my hot flashes. One disclosure: I am allergic to dairy Milk.
  • dwurth2
    dwurth2 Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    Def. NOT soy!! Stay away! more than 90% of soy is GMO! Stay away!!
  • Chloe_Chaos_
    Chloe_Chaos_ Posts: 150 Member
    Options
    I use whey and eat lots of other foods with protein.

Don't decide to drink or eat whey (or any protein) with the idea that you will bulk up, because you wont. It takes a lot of work to get really big with protein only.

I lift heavy, drink protein, and eat as clean as I can (I try!!) and I haven't bulked at all. I've lost 11lbs in 1 month of doing this.

I use Body Fortress whey powders from WalMart because they are in my price range and they have a lower calorie content.

Good luck!
  • secretgirl4611
    secretgirl4611 Posts: 474 Member
    Options
    Def. NOT soy!! Stay away! more than 90% of soy is GMO! Stay away!!

WHAT IS GMO?....Soy has been a good trade off for me as well I have milk only in cereal but cant stand to drink it..
  • 2fit4fat
    2fit4fat Posts: 559 Member
    Options
    Bump whey here.. Curious about responses
  • bossmodehan
    bossmodehan Posts: 210 Member
    Options
    GMO stands for genetically modified organisms. I use both a whey protein for post work out and put a small amount of non-GMO soy protein isolate in my breakfast. Once my tub of soy is used up however, depending on what I can afford, i may invest in hemp as it's health benefits are superior. I take the whey more for convenience (my boyfriend always has some in stock) and the variety of flavours makes it more appealling to take straight after work out mixed with water.
  • fieldsy4life
    Options
    I get about 150g of protein daily from eggs and meat, so I'm not currently using a protein supplement. However, I agree with the other poster about soy being GMO - stay away. Whey protein is dairy-based, so if you can handle it, go for it.

I have some friends that have been using powdered egg protein from Optimum Nutrition and love it. Mix it with some almond milk for a delicious, lactose-free protein-packed shake!
  • Weighinginwithmy02
    Weighinginwithmy02 Posts: 369 Member
    Options
    I am no expert but have recently been reading about soy products as my husband decided to no longer eat meat and apparently men are supposed to avoid soy products due to estrogen levels.
  • rahmyers
    rahmyers Posts: 75 Member
    Options
    there is also studies showing soy may be a cause of autoimmune disease. At the very least it makes autoimmune conditions worse.