Anyone breastfeeding while using this program

Options
I am using Fitness pal to track my consumption of food so know I am getting enough while breastfeeding. Anyone else breastfeeding? Also losing a few pounds would be nice too, just had my second baby last week.

Replies

• PedalHound
    PedalHound Posts: 1,625 Member
    Options
    Don't focus much at all on shedding weight just yet. This is a great site and wonderful tools here but you need to let your body adjust to life after pregnancy and life with two babes! I'm a personal trainer w/ pre/post- natal designation as well as a birth doula. I also happen to be a breastfeeding Mama myself; my 2 year old son is still nursing and his sister just stopped at age 4.5 :noway: Right now just make sure you're getting a good balance of macronutrients (carbs / fats / proteins) and enough calories (right now you could need up to 500 calories above maintenance per day!) so that you don't deplete your own mineral stores and muscle tissues to feed your baby. Exercise to a level that feels comfortable to you and respect your need to SLEEP and drink TONS of water. Choose healthy, whole foods as much as possible and try to get both protein and complex carbs at every meal. This will be the best start you can get to seeing your body return to fitness and through the year you'll see that following the above advice will do a lot for your figure. Once baby starts some solids in 6-9 months or so, your body will be more willing to shed excess fat. In the mean time, your body is programmed to hold on to what it has so that you can still make lots o' milk in the event of famine. So make smart nutrition and physical activity choices, sleep, drink water, breastfeed as much as your baby wants, and you'll see great things happen to your body :flowerforyou: Feel free to email me if you have specific questions :bigsmile:
  • mommyto2cuties
    mommyto2cuties Posts: 82 Member
    Options
    I'm breastfeeding. My daughter is 7 months so I am definitely in weight loss mode now but I make sure that I have enough calories and drink plenty of water. Congratulations on your new baby!!! Breastfeeding should hopefully help you lose weight faster. Good luck! Feel free to send me a message if you have any questions.
  • fitmummy
    fitmummy Posts: 9
    Options
    Hi,
    I too am breastfeeding and have started using fitness pal yesterday. My daughter is 3 months now so I am ready to lose the flab now and my milk supply should be well established by now. However i am not sure about the theory that bfing can help you lose weight as this def hasn't been the case for me :mad:

Good luck ladies
    Anji x
  • ReyesOnFire
    ReyesOnFire Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    I have been breastfeeding going on 6 months now and I plateaued at about 8 weeks for weight loss. My mother has been a great source of support. She tells me that my body is totally focused on taking care of the baby and it is holding onto the last few pounds because it NEEDS it to provide for my baby. Although I have noticed I seem to be starving all of the time. Does this feeling ever go away?
  • Cynder
    Cynder Posts: 79
    Options
    Hi. I'm still nursing my 17 month old daughter. I lost 10 lbs this time last year, but put 15 back on, and the scale has been stuck.

Any tips on losing while nursing a toddler? She only nurses at night and in the afternoons, and makes it hard to get up at 5 to work out in the mornings.
  • corky882002
    Options
    I'm nursing my 21 month old twins but I didn't start trying to really lose weight until 3 months ago. I think I've been losing steadily over that time period but I've been careful since I still want to keep my supply up for the babies. I don't factor in the calories from breastfeeding since I'm not sure how much they are getting and they are only ursing 3-4 times a day. I think you should give your body time to adjust after having a baby. I was starving the first year and now I'm eating the MFP allowance plus my exercise calories and it's working.

Congrats on the baby.

Corky