questions about fat.

Options
So, on MFP they have recommended amounts of carbs, proteins, and fat that you should eat every day.
But I was just wondering.. isn't it good to eat as little fat as possible? Should you actually eat as much fat as your doctors/nutrition sites/the FDA, whoever recommends?
I've been eating less than 28 g of fat every day and I don't know if that's bad for me... or not.
Help please?

Replies

• Kristi82
    Kristi82 Posts: 80 Member
    Options
    You need to eat GOOD fats and avoid BAD fats. Good fats are essential to your body's function.
  • tori_anne
    tori_anne Posts: 28
    Options
    You need to eat GOOD fats and avoid BAD fats. Good fats are essential to your body's function.

So good fats to bad fats... are... like monounsaturated fats > polyunsaturated fats > saturated fat > trans fat? (i'm trying to remember about macromolecules from my intro to cells class 0_0) and... what else? Like in avocados or nuts? I'm not sure how much of the good fats I'm supposed to be eating every day...
  • hiddensecant
    hiddensecant Posts: 2,446 Member
    Options
    don't forget the calories ... no less than 1200 net if you're planning to try the healthy route
  • tori_anne
    tori_anne Posts: 28
    Options
    don't forget the calories ... no less than 1200 net if you're planning to try the healthy route

It's been extremely difficult for me to get over 1,000 >_>
    Probably why i lost 2 pounds in three days.
    My calorie intake has been going down I think because when I eat less I get less hungry.
    I think I should remind myself just to eat every few hours so I feel hungry.
  • hiddensecant
    hiddensecant Posts: 2,446 Member
    Options

It's been extremely difficult for me to get over 1,000 >_>
    Probably why i lost 2 pounds in three days.
    My calorie intake has been going down I think because when I eat less I get less hungry.
    I think I should remind myself just to eat every few hours so I feel hungry.

I have one of those digital egg timers to remind me to eat; they're pretty cheap too. Go for every 2-3 hours and it should fire up your metabolism enough to improve that appetite. You'll also get a nice energy boost for your workouts.
  • margaretthedevil
    Options
    I looked at your food diary. Do you normally eat like this on a daily basis or since you started recording on MFP? If you normally eat this little, it can be really difficult to eat more as your stomach is used to eating so little. BUT in the long run eating so few calories will make you malnourished and a cocktail of health problems can arise. Plus you need to eat even more if you're exercising. Eat bigger and healthy breakfasts should help you (no coffees don't count as a breakfast lol). Spreading out your calories throughout your meals also helps. I know when I get busy esp. during school it can be difficult to eat more, but exercising gives me more of an appetite. I also have a hard time eating all of my fats. So now I just buy the fatter dressings for my salads. Eating my one egg a day also helps me. And ALMONDS, WALNUTS (I buy the raw ones don't need the extra sugar, roasted, etc) and other nuts help me a lot as they're really quick to eat and fatty (!) and I only need a hand full. Good BRAIN food too! ^^
  • mrd232
    mrd232 Posts: 331
    Options
    Nuts, seeds, olive oil (extra virgin), coconut oil, whole fat from dairy, fats from fish.

Omega 3s are vital to our function and the average person usually doesn't get enough of them. In short, eat more (good) fat.