Am I doing something wrong??

Options
Hello,

I stared here a week ago. I'm eating my 1200 calories/day. I exercise 40-60 mins/day. I don't eat all of my exercise calories, but I do eat some of them. My question is ..is this it?? I have been reading other members posts and I'm seeing amazing changes. I weighed my self today and found out that I gained one pounds!! I want to know if anyone else experienced that?

SW: 186
GW: 135

Replies

• Nicola0000
    Nicola0000 Posts: 531 Member
    Options
    Eat back your exercise cals. that way you can eat more!! MFP has already given you a deficit, so you dont need to create more of a deficit. Youll end up slowing your metabolism down, so will make losing weight even harder.
  • XoSaraoX
    XoSaraoX Posts: 97 Member
    Options
    give it time, your not going to see huge changes in a week. Slow and steady wins the race. drinks lots of water.
  • 3dogsrunning
    3dogsrunning Posts: 27,167 Member
    Options
    One week is not nearly enough time to decide if something is working or not.
    You also need to keep in mind that a number of things affect the scale, water weight being the biggest one. It can easily hide small losses in fat. Gaining 1lb does not mean you have gained fat, it could simply be water retention .
    Read this
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/350212--why-scales-lie?hl=why+scales+lie&page=1#posts-4730712

Why 1200 calories? Are you netting 1200 or eating 1200 only?

But to answer your question, yes I have experienced that. When I changed my gym routine and diet, I gained a couple of pounds then stayed at that weight for almost a month. In that month,you could see that changes in my body, in my face, neck arms, stomach, even though the scale never moved. Even the inches didn't come off at first in the places I measured, but you could see changes.

Keep at it. Stay away from the scale for a bit, or at least don't use it as a measure of progress.
  • FranWins
    FranWins Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    Could be muscle gain from working out. Could just be normal water weight fluctuations. Give the diet/exercise a few weeks and see what happens, one week isn't going to give you any drastic changes.
  • hottottie11
    hottottie11 Posts: 907 Member
    Options
    Could be muscle gain from working out. Could just be normal water weight fluctuations. Give the diet/exercise a few weeks and see what happens, one week isn't going to give you any drastic changes.

Not gaining muscle. Not starvation mode (this early in your journey)

Its water retention. Relax. Eat some more calories. Keep pressing forward.
  • 3dogsrunning
    3dogsrunning Posts: 27,167 Member
    Options

Not gaining muscle. Not starvation mode (this early in your journey)

Its water retention. Relax. Eat some more calories. Keep pressing forward.

This.

And I found the quote I was looking for
    " The rule of thumb is it takes 4 weeks until you see differences, 8 weeks until your family and close friends see it and 12 weeks until everyone else you know, see the difference."
  • me1283
    me1283 Posts: 14
    Options
    Thank you all..great points. I know it takes time, but that one pound freaked me out :)

Why 1200 calories? Are you netting 1200 or eating 1200 only?

This is what MFP gave me when I filled that first profile thing. I'm eating 1200 and I usually gain 500-700 calories by exercising. Most of the days I ended up eating 1400 ca.
  • julie8726
    Options
    17999439.png
    Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Calorie Counter

Give it some time the weight will come off... Stay dedicated
  • tinchick
    tinchick Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    First of all, your body fluctuates all the time. You can seem to gain or lose a pound at almost any time for a variety of reasons, like fluid retension or the amount of poop in your system. So going by only a week's worth of data isn't an accurate picture of what is happening with your body.

Give it time. I didn't see any changes on the scale until my third week and it was only 1 pound. Once I was consistent with my program for a month or two, I started to see some real changes. It's all about going in the right direction, not losing a certain amount each week.

Plus, your starting weight is relatively low compared to some others on the site, myself included. It could be that your body needs more of a jump start before you see the pounds come off. Just keep at it and don't stress. You'll see results soon.
  • danmoffett
    danmoffett Posts: 110
    Options
    I've lost 155 pounds in the past 24 months.
    I have never counted a calorie.
    I have never weight my food.
    I did not exercise to lose weight.

When you know what to do the weight FALLS OFF and your energy level GOES UP.

I live a high fat low carb lifestyle. It's that simple.

I tell my story on my blog.
    http://danmoffett.blogspot.com/
    I have nothing to sell, you'll find no ads on the blog, just FREEDOM.