Carbs - A cautionary Tale

Options

Replies

• BrownEyedJerseyGirl
    BrownEyedJerseyGirl Posts: 97 Member
    Options
    Jeff - we will hope that your GP is mistaken that it is early onset Alzheimer's and we will pray for a good report from the Neurologist.
  • Acg67
    Acg67 Posts: 12,142 Member
    Options
    There are studies that say a good intake of fatty acids may help prevention - so fish and flaxseed would be good for that.

Lol at flaxseed, a good source of ALA, but you might want to look into human's capacity to convert it to EPA and DHA
  • Isolt
    Isolt Posts: 70
    Options
    Lol at flaxseed, a good source of ALA, but you might want to look into human's capacity to convert it to EPA and DHA

I'm afraid that I don't share your interest in your opinion, but thank you so very much for your kind consideration.
  • Acg67
    Acg67 Posts: 12,142 Member
    Options

I'm afraid that I don't share your interest in your opinion, but thank you so very much for your kind consideration.

That's ok, to each his/her own. But if you wanted to start looking in to it, i'll help you start

Efficiency of conversion of alpha-linolenic acid to long chain n-3 fatty acids in man. Curr Opin Clin Nutr Metab Care. 2002 Mar;5(2):127-32.
    Alpha-linolenic acid (18:3n-3) is the major n-3 (omega 3) fatty acid in the human diet. It is derived mainly from terrestrial plant consumption and it has long been thought that its major biochemical role is as the principal precursor for long chain polyunsaturated fatty acids, of which eicosapentaenoic (20:5n-3) and docosahexaenoic acid (22:6n-3) are the most prevalent. For infants, n-3 long chain polyunsaturated fatty acids are required for rapid growth of neural tissue in the perinatal period and a nutritional supply is particularly important for development of premature infants. For adults, n-3 long chain polyunsaturated fatty acid supplementation is implicated in improving a wide range of clinical pathologies involving cardiac, kidney, and neural tissues. Studies generally agree that whole body conversion of 18:3n-3 to 22:6n-3 is below 5% in humans, and depends on the concentration of n-6 fatty acids and long chain polyunsaturated fatty acids in the diet.

Can adults adequately convert alpha-linolenic acid (18:3n-3) to eicosapentaenoic acid (20:5n-3) and docosahexaenoic acid (22:6n-3)? Int J Vitam Nutr Res. 1998;68(3):159-73.
    A diet including 2-3 portions of fatty fish per week, which corresponds to the intake of 1.25 g EPA (20:5n-3) + DHA (22:6n-3) per day, has been officially recommended on the basis of epidemiological findings showing a beneficial role of these n-3 long-chain PUFA in the prevention of cardiovascular and inflammatory diseases. The parent fatty acid ALA (18:3n-3), found in vegetable oils such as flaxseed or rapeseed oil, is used by the human organism partly as a source of energy, partly as a precursor of the metabolites, but the degree of conversion appears to be unreliable and restricted. More specifically, most studies in humans have shown that whereas a certain, though restricted, conversion of high doses of ALA to EPA occurs, conversion to DHA is severely restricted. The use of ALA labelled with radioisotopes suggested that with a background diet high in saturated fat conversion to long-chain metabolites is approximately 6% for EPA and 3.8% for DHA. With a diet rich in n-6 PUFA, conversion is reduced by 40 to 50%
  • Birder150
    Birder150 Posts: 677 Member
    Options
    To the OP ... I wish you the best! :flowerforyou:
  • BaconMD
    BaconMD Posts: 1,165 Member
    Options
    done with these forums.
  • SuffolkSally
    SuffolkSally Posts: 964 Member
    Options
    Let us know if eating more carbs reverses your Alzheimer's, if you remember.
    If you don't agree with what the op says then fine but there's no need to get nasty!

I thought that too. I'm British and have a dark sense of humour - I tried to find that funny but failed. Don't know why anyone would post it really; pretty shameful.

Anyway OP - my greatest sympathies. How utterly terrifying how you. Let's hope it isn't...
  • SuffolkSally
    SuffolkSally Posts: 964 Member
    Options
    Ah you know - something called having empathy? A minute amount goes a long way.
  • AndreaDaPrincess
    AndreaDaPrincess Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    OUCH...MY EYES.... Please...lets not turn our My Fittness Pal into a fight.....I like it here and we are adults that need to learn "there ain't no good guys...there ain't no bad guys...theres only you and me and we just disagree".
  • AndreaDaPrincess
    AndreaDaPrincess Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    We are all here for the same reason....encouragment , support and information.......lets be supportive and considerate of everyones feelings........ LETS ALL LOVE EACHOTHER.... fat, skinny, short, tall....carbs or no carbs.
  • purpleconnie
    Options
    Look at the Frammingham study and you will see how lifestyle and exercise have changed and now we need to be more aguarian . We don't walk all day looking for food and game. Therefore we need to balance our food intakes towards good quality carbs. Good luck to everyone. Especially the man who could have altzheimers.
  • grannygethealthy1111
    Options
    I wish you the best on your upcoming Neurology appointment. As you have not been diagnosed with the disease yet, I hope that you are experiencing normal short-term memory problems that occur as part of the aging process. We do not know exactly what causes the disease but we do know that it is more common after the age of 65, in people with a family history/genetics, sex (women have a higher incidence), and lifestyle ... lack of exercise, smoking, high blood pressure, high cholesterol, and poorly controlled diabetes.

Talk to your neurologist about your concerns of following a low-carb diet. Let us know when you find out something definitive and best wishes. I will keep you and your family in my prayers.
  • sheryllamb72
    sheryllamb72 Posts: 163 Member
    Options
    Let us know if eating more carbs reverses your Alzheimer's, if you remember.
    If you don't agree with what the op says then fine but there's no need to get nasty!

I agree.......how f'king nasty was that!!!!!!:mad:
  • sheryllamb72
    sheryllamb72 Posts: 163 Member
    Options
    Ahh so you think you have early onset Alzheimer's and naturally came to the conclusion it must be your low-carb diet.

It's quite amazing that our species even managed to survive this long really isn't it....what with them living for 190,000 years on a hunter/gatherer diet and only the last 10,000 years with the agrarian culture that allows high carb intakes. Yup, your Altzheimer's *must* be down to a low-carb diet :laugh:

I hear what you're saying - how did man survive without carbs? Obviously they aren't necessary for basic survival.

It's only been in the past century that the average lifespan has exceeded 50 years old. Alzheimer's usually onsets in the mid-60's so there is no way to know if our ancestors did/could have suffered from Alzheimer's since man did not live long enough to see such a disease. Additionally, it may have occurred but was not documented.

There are many variables and let's hope that isn't the cause and/or that he doesn't have Alzheimer's.

I agree with browneyes 100%.

Yep, I also agree 110%
  • firesoforion
    firesoforion Posts: 1,017 Member
    Options
    I hope your diagnosis comes back good! Another thing I'd look at (and this is a possible connection to the carbs, because when you cut out carbs, you're substituting with other sources of calories, not to mention the lack of fiber) is the recent studies that are starting to link liver and alzheimers.

http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2011/03/110303134435.htm but a google search will yield far more.
  • Anomalia
    Anomalia Posts: 506 Member
    Options
    Dear god...oh dear god...
  • poponastick302
    poponastick302 Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    Low carb can also cause bone loss.. No nutrient should be cut below the recommended daily allowance or I would consider it a FAD diet. I hope others can learn from this. I am sorry you have to go through it.

A 'fad' diet that lasted 170,000 years?

Honestly....stop talking utter bull****

HAH. I didn't realise that just because something lasts, doesn't mean it's ****ing right.
  • galededras
    galededras Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    ^This.
  • tigersword
    tigersword Posts: 8,059 Member
    Options
    I have read that the RDA of carbs for a man is some 275-325g, i have been eating less than 100 a day!!!
    There are many studies on the internet explaining that carbohydrates are brain foods and to starve your body of them can and will affect brain function/memory.

First of all, my sympathy for the diagnosis. That is a frightening thing to hear, and I understand that you want to do everything you can to take control of that. I'm going to say a few things, and then give you some citations, and I hope that you can keep an open mind.

Our brains DO need glucose to function, and that we cannot get that from stored fat, so SOME sugar (carbohydrates) are necessary. Look into the works of Dr. Joel Furhman (author: Eat to Live) he has some great information on that.

However, our brains are also fat. Nutritionist Tom Naughton explores that in his movie Fat Head. In it, he does advocate a low carb diet, but he also advocates staying away from a lot of the "unnatural" fats most of us consume (that is, trans-fats aka hydrogenated vegetable oils, etc) in favor of oils from nuts, coconut oils, olive oil, and yes saturated fat from meat. All things that are easily obtained if your dietary plan has a "hunter/gatherer" mentality rather than an agriculturally based one.

Bear in mind that government dietary regulations are often based more on agriculture, and most of these "studies" that encourage high consumption of grains and carbohydrates are funded by the Department of Agriculture. In the grand scheme of human history, it has only been within the last few hundred years that we as a species have relied heavily on grains. It has also been since we began to rely on grains and agriculture - instead of what we can "hunt and gather" - that obesity and heart disease have become more and more prevalent.

My point is, do your research before you desperately start "carb loading" and end up in an even more unhealthy situation. Your brain needs energy (sugars) to function, but don't overdo it.

Few hundred years? People have been farming, domesticating and growing grains, and baking and eating bread for over 15,000 years. Also, yes, your brain is made of fat, but your brain does NOT use fat. It uses glucose for all of it's energy needs, and if it doesn't get enough from diet, it starts manufacturing it from protein, either from your diet, or from catabolizing muscle tissue. The human diet evolved mostly as 90% fruit/berries/grains and grasses, and 10% meat. It's only in the Western world and only over the last few hundred years that we've been eating such large amounts of meat.
  • khagador
    khagador Posts: 175 Member
    Options
    It's quite amazing that our species even managed to survive this long really isn't it....what with them living for 190,000 years on a hunter/gatherer diet and only the last 10,000 years with the agrarian culture that allows high carb intakes. Yup, your Altzheimer's *must* be down to a low-carb diet :laugh:
    '

Actually, a hunter-gatherer diet in most of the world subsists on carbs. This doesn't have to mean the carbs that we eat most now-- grains. HGs ate very little protein compared to how many of us eat now. They ate berries (carbs), root vegetables (carbs), and other wild plants (carbs). Proteins were rare because they would have to hunt and trap them, which meant meat was only available for a few days. To say that we shouldn't eat as many carbs goes against everything you said.