Yoga...

Options
So I really really want to try yoga but I have a few reservations...

1. I can't balance. I'm not just "not very good", I'm actually terrible! How am I supposed to do some of the poses?!

2. I can't breathe through my nose - again, I physically can't. My soft palate wasn't developed properly as I was born prematurely and I struggled to learn. I could do it in an emergency but it takes a lot of effort and doesn't come naturally. I heard yoga is all about breathing through the nose...

3. I am really inflexible - my friends used to call me Stiffler because when I dance, I'm so stiff! I know I'll learn flexibility but don't you need a little to begin with?

4. I don't want to go to classes until I learn how to drive and don't have to go to my local gym, full of snooty stick-thin girls I went to school with, especially not as a beginner!

5. I'm worried it'll bore me! I'm not great at relaxing and find "relaxing" things like sunbathing and taking a bath really boring!

Replies

• LisamarieBond14
    LisamarieBond14 Posts: 133 Member
    Options
    Does no one have any experience of yoga?
  • gaia3rd
    gaia3rd Posts: 151
    Options
    Less worry, more action :-) Seriously though, I'm still 22 pounds overweight and started taking yoga from an outstanding teacher when I was 24 pounds heavier. Like any program, you work up to the difficult stuff. So - it will help you with your balance, it will help with flexibility, you will breathe through your mouth instead of your nose. I don't find yoga mentally relaxing in the same way a warm bath relaxes me, I find it introspective and focusing and rather intense. I do believe a good teacher is incredibly helpful when you're a beginner, so ask/look around, and maybe take a bus to get to them rather than going to the local gym?
  • freezerburn2012
    freezerburn2012 Posts: 273 Member
    Options
    1. This comes with practice

2. Don't worry where your breath comes from. Don't worry about your breathing. Unless it stops. ha!

3. I am the least flexible person ever too! My sister was the same way til she worked on it. I find my flexibility is slowly improving too.

4. Get a video and try out your yoga practice at home. This will let you go at your own pace.

5. I don't like those things either. I don't find yoga to be as boring as lying on the beach because I'm moving almost the whole time.

:)
  • piglet1643
    Options
    Lol...I am laughing because you and I seem the same! I have all of the issues you have (except the breathing part) but I gave in and did yoga anyway. I've been doing P90X for a long time and always skipped the yoga days...but decided several months ago to incorporate yoga even though 1) I suck at it 2) I'm so NOT zen and 3) I have next to no patience to hold the moves. However, after doing it a few times, I got better and have found that it has helped with my endurance level on what seems to be all the other workouts. I still have trouble balancing but I do what I can. I always feel refreshed after finishing.
  • CDRhom
    CDRhom Posts: 9
    Options
    The good thing about yoga is that the focus is on doing what you can not trying to do what a whole class is doing. So if you can only balance on one foot for 2 seconds before you put your up foot down, or you can only bend down and reach your knees, no one is going to care about it. As you develop core strength through practice, 2 seconds will turn into 4, and then 30 before you know it.

The average yoga classmate is not going to be stick thin or female either. Unless you are going to a woman's only facility you will find men and women of all ages and fitness levels. There seems to always be one or two women who are expecting and lots of retirees in the classes I've attended. Look for classes at your local YMCA, Botanical garden, or public park.

It may bore you, since the focus is on turning your attention to your internal self. Paying attention to details like which direction your palm is facing, breathing in and out during specific parts of the movement (don't worry if you do all of it through your mouth as long as you do it deep and slow), and visualizing energy flowing from your hands and feet are not skills we are very well trained in. The benefit if you stick with it, is that it will help your mental focus and attention span.
  • AZKristi
    AZKristi Posts: 1,801 Member
    Options
    Give it a shot. The yoga form can be modified to any skill level if you have a good teacher / practice leader. Balance isn't something everybody has; for most people, it is something that they work towards. Each time you practice yoga, you have an opportunity to choose an intention for that practice. Some workouts you may choose to focus on balance, others on flexibility. The things you say you lack are exactly the things that yoga will help you develop.

I started doing yoga about 18 months ago when I was roughly 60 pounds heavier. It was tough, but the instructor offered modifications so I could do some form of every pose. I absolutely love it now and go to yoga classes three times a week. My balance and flexibility have improved tremendously.

Go early and talk to the instructor before your first class so they know to offer suggestions if they see you struggling. Let them know that you can't breathe through your nose. If you are physiologically limited, a good teacher will understand.
  • tmoyer1209
    tmoyer1209 Posts: 215 Member
    Options
    I am balance challenged also, but love yoga. I am also inflexible. I do a beginner video and just do what I can. As far as breathing thru your nose, it's completely not required. If you want to try something, go for it! I'm sure that you can find some beginner videos online to try. :smile:
  • mirthegeologist
    mirthegeologist Posts: 143 Member
    Options
    I was also really hesitant to begin, but remember that everyone was once a beginner! Although you may struggle with balance & flexibility at first, it does improve! At whichever gym/studio that you begin at, ask for recommendations for beginner classes. For your first couple classes, talk to the instructor before class starts and let them know that your are just starting and may need modifications for some of the poses. A good instructor will be able to help you find your balance. Yoga is all about your personal ability, so try not to focus on other people, but rather how you feel. After a couple classes, you will notice that poses that were unfamiliar are now easier for you. Also be sure to tell your instructor about your breathing--they will understand.

I am not particularly flexible, nor am I good at relaxing, but I really enjoy taking yoga classes. Good luck and have fun!
  • kandire
    kandire Posts: 87
    Options
    1. I can't balance. I'm not just "not very good", I'm actually terrible! How am I supposed to do some of the poses?!

*Balance comes with time. You will find through your practice that some days are better than others (seriously I can do Warrior 3 no problem one day and the next I can barely get my foot off the ground!) and that one side of your body is "more balanced" than the other. But really it all comes with practice and time.*

2. I can't breathe through my nose - again, I physically can't. My soft palate wasn't developed properly as I was born prematurely and I struggled to learn. I could do it in an emergency but it takes a lot of effort and doesn't come naturally. I heard yoga is all about breathing through the nose...

* If you can't breath through your nose then don't. Yoga is more about making it your own practice than it is about breathing through the nose. The only important thing about breathing is that you do it!*

3. I am really inflexible - my friends used to call me Stiffler because when I dance, I'm so stiff! I know I'll learn flexibility but don't you need a little to begin with?

* Flexibility also comes with time and practice. It will aid you in a lot of things in your life though once you achieve it. Also it is one of those things that can be better or worse depending on the day.*

4. I don't want to go to classes until I learn how to drive and don't have to go to my local gym, full of snooty stick-thin girls I went to school with, especially not as a beginner!

* You can't always worry about what other people are thinking about you. Also people don't really pay attention to you as much as you think they do!*

5. I'm worried it'll bore me! I'm not great at relaxing and find "relaxing" things like sunbathing and taking a bath really boring!

* It can be boring, but one of the things you learn is to relax your mind and block out the chatter. Once you can learn to relax and focus on your body it will be something you will crave.*

I say go for it!
  • dad106
    dad106 Posts: 4,868 Member
    Options
    So I really really want to try yoga but I have a few reservations...

I can't balance either.. I suck at it! But if you have a proper teacher, she/he will remind you that it is about you and no one else.. so if you can only balance for like 3 seconds great, put that foot down, refocus and try again. If you need to stick your hands out to the side to balance, that works too.

It depends on the type of breath that the teacher is having you do. The teacher I take uses a breath that is in through the nose and out through the nose.. and makes an ocean sound in your throat. If you can't do it though, thats ok. Nothing says you have to breathe that way.

Nope, you need no flexibility what so ever. As others said, it comes with time and practice. I could never touch my toes when I bend over.. and I still can't. Am I getting closer though thanks to Yoga? Yes.

Honestly, who gives a flying F about those girls? If you want to try it, then you should. I take classes at my local gym and it's full of people young, middle aged and old.. Some are thin, some are fat, some are in-between.. and we all inter-mix fine. Focus on you.. because after all Yoga is a personal journey.

I can't relax either, but for some odd reason Yoga does the trick. Once I start focusing on my breathing and the positions, it's like world around me melts away and I'm the only one in the room. I walk out feeling really zen and re-focused.. and ready to tackle my week!
  • LisamarieBond14
    LisamarieBond14 Posts: 133 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone :)
    I've been looking into it online and am going to practice a few of the basic poses before I go to a class.
    I guess I just assume that everyone is better than me and will laugh at me if I fall on my face!!