Stomach issues while running...

Options
I have been doing Couch to 5k the last couple weeks. Although it was always a challenge, so far-so good :bigsmile: Today, I started week 4 and it was much more challenging then the previous weeks. Towards the end, I was going reeeeeeeally slow and my stomach started to feel a little upset. It was pretty hot and humid:sick: , and I usually try to avoid running until it's cooler at night, but I couldn't today- busy day. Anyone know how or why this happens? How could I avoid it? :ohwell:

By the end, I was pushing myself REALLY hard and probably couldn't have gone any further at all. I want to make sure that I can successfully finish Couch to 5k.

Thanks for your help :flowerforyou:

Replies

• Shannon023
    Shannon023 Posts: 14,529 Member
    Options
    Dehydrated maybe?? Do you take a water bottle with you?

Or was it a dreaded side-splint type of pain. :embarassed: I still get those. :explode:
  • ilmommkc
    ilmommkc Posts: 73
    Options
    Probably related to the heat. Drink more water, and maybe run on a treadmill when it's too hot outside to exhert that much energy. good luck!
  • iRun4wine
    iRun4wine Posts: 5,126
    Options
    Don't think it was a dehydration issue, although I greatly appreciate your advice:happy: . Should have mentioned... I drank a TON of water while running, before running, and in the morning... any other thoughts? I'm thinking it was what I had for lunch (we desperately need to go grocery shopping). I had Wasa crackers with Laughing Cow cheese, a peach, an apple, and a yogurt :ohwell:
  • Iceprincessk25
    Iceprincessk25 Posts: 1,888 Member
    Options
    I went to the gym the other day and jogged on the treadmill and when I got home my stomach started hurted too. Ended up yaking two times before I went to bed.

I think it's just the heat. Gotta slow down a little bit when it's this hot out. :indifferent:
  • iRun4wine
    Options
    I went to the gym the other day and jogged on the treadmill and when I got home my stomach started hurted too. Ended up yaking two times before I went to bed.

I think it's just the heat. Gotta slow down a little bit when it's this hot out. :indifferent:

I thought I was going to *loose it* I think I would have if I had run further! :noway: :ohwell:
  • VballLeash
    VballLeash Posts: 2,456 Member
    Options
    Probably what you ate... you didn't have many carbs in that meal plus as other said you have to adjust to the heat especially since you are a new runner, don't let it discourage you though... running is GREAT! :happy:

~Leash :heart:
  • iRun4wine
    Options
    thanks!! :wink:
  • Teria
    Teria Posts: 36
    Options
    It is very common to have these sympotoms while running. They can be triggered by random things, but keep pushing through.

For me, no matter what I eat, how hot or how cold it is, I always have weird stomach pains while running. Some runners get gas, vomit, diarrhea, or simply have to go. There is a special name for it but I can't remember right now. But I would recommend doing some research if it continues.
  • iRun4wine
    Options
    I've been poking around online and it says that naseua can be caused by SO many different things that it's difficult to know what's causing it :ohwell:

Thought maybe some of you wonderful MFP-ers may have experienced the same thing and found something that helps :flowerforyou:
  • jlefton1212
    jlefton1212 Posts: 171 Member
    Options
    If you drank a ton of water right before running, and kept drinking while you were running, maybe you were just water logged. If you have a belly full of water splashing around that's bound to make you queasy. Also, while drinking a lot of water is very important, it is possible to overhydrate, and it is something that happens to marathon runners all the time because they drink too much water and their electrolyte balance gets out of wack. Althought that would probably be less of a stomach issue and more of a headache kind of feeling.