Vegetarians???????

Options
hollychristine
hollychristine Posts: 124 Member
I'm looking for some new veggie recipes. Please share. Heres one for you! Its super delicious but not a quick one. Its from the South Beach Diet Phase 1, so its not "low-fat" but its not "bad-fat" either. Enjoy!

Vegetarian No-Pasta Lasagna

Serves 4-6

Ingredients
2 large eggplants
1 cup part-skim ricotta cheese
1/2 cup shredded part-skim mozzarella
2 (14.5-ounce) cans stewed tomatoes
1 large egg
1/2 cup fresh-grated Parmesan cheese
1/4 cup fresh basil, shredded
2 tablespoons garlic, chopped fine
2 tablespoons onion, chopped fine
2 tablespoons dried oregano
2 tablespoons dried thyme
2 cups (4 whole) roasted peppers
1 6-ounce can tomato paste
4 tablespoons olive oil
2 cups spinach (optional)
1 large yellow squash, thinly sliced lengthwise (optional)
salt and ground black pepper to taste

Instructions
Preheat oven to 450°F. Heat 3 tablespoons of oil in skillet and cook garlic and onion until they become aromatic and begin to brown. Add stewed tomatoes and 1 tablespoon dried oregano. Once tomatoes begin to bubble, stir in tomato paste. Reduce heat to low, add salt and pepper to taste, cover and let simmer lightly while you continue.

Slice eggplant lengthwise in 1/4-inch slices. Spread out eggplant on a rimmed cookie sheets sprayed lightly with nonstick cooking spray. Salt the slices generously on both sides, sprinkle with thyme, and lightly brush (fingers are fine) with the remaining oil olive. Roast eggplant in oven until tender and slightly browned. If using yellow squash, also roast briefly until soft and pliable. Remove and let cool enough to handle. Reduce oven to 375°F.

Meanwhile, stir together ricotta cheese, egg, remaining oregano, and 1/4 cup of Parmesan cheese. In a 12x9-inch baking dish spread 1/4 cup of tomato sauce. Cover with 3 or 4 eggplant slices, then half of the roasted peppers, and then a third of the ricotta cheese mixture, followed by a third of the mozzarella. Sprinkle half the basil over cheeses, and then spinach and yellow squash (if using). Cover with more tomato sauce, eggplant, peppers, ricotta, mozzarella and basil. Top with remaining eggplant, tomato sauce, mozzarella, and any remaining Parmesan. Cover with foil and bake for about 15 minutes. Remove foil and bake for about 15 minutes more or until cheese is bubbly and beginning to brown. Remove and let cool for at least 5 minutes before serving.
Nutritional Information:
354.18 calories
12.35 g sugar
18.64 total fat (6.82 g sat)
67.48 mg cholesterol
35.4 g carbohydrate
16.76 g protein
3.55 g fiber
754.95 mg sodium

Replies

• tori_anne
    tori_anne Posts: 28
    Options
    I love beans and rice, but I don't know the recipe.. I kind of just wing it every time.
    Let's see..

2 cans black beans
    1 can stewed chopped tomatoes
    1 chopped onion
    1 tbsp garlic (that may be too much, it's hard to estimate on a computer!)
    1 tbsp canola oil
    salt to taste
    pepper to taste

So, cook the onions and garlic in a large pan until the onions are cooked all the way through. Add the beans and cook them on medium for... five or ten minutes until they are hot, and add the canned tomatoes until everything is cooked thouroughly. Beans done!

Cook brown rice according to instructions on box. I personally like it with brown rice a lot better! and you can eat it with the black beans. It's really easy to make and it tastes really good.

This is also good with a dab of light sour cream (:

I'm sorry I don't know the nutrition information either ><
  • tori_anne
    Options
    Oh yeah and I forgot to say, add as much or as little salt and pepper as you want at the end of the beans cooking!
  • tori_anne
    Options
    Oh yeah and I forgot to say, add as much or as little salt and pepper as you want at the end of the beans cooking!

And use low sodium canned black beans, and I figured out the nutritional information-

Serves four, one serving of beans (1 cup)-
    Calories- 133
    Fat- 4g
    Carbs- 25g
    Fiber- 7.25g (lots of fiber!)
    Protein- 6g
    Sodium- 381 mgs without added salt

One cup of brown rice-
    Calories- 218
    Fat- 2g
    Sodium- 2mg
    Carbs- 46g
    Fiber- 3.5 g
    Protein- 4.5g

Sorry if i messed that up ):
    This was all done by hand so it's kind of an estimate ><
  • gemiwing
    gemiwing Posts: 1,525 Member
    Options
    What kind of recipes do you want? lol I've got tons :)

Hubbs is a vegan and I'm an OMGEATEVERYTHING-avore so I make vegan versions of classic Southern food mostly. Hubbs makes amazing Indian and Ethiopian food :love:
  • yellowhouse
    Options
    A really good cheap and filling salad...4-5 servings

1 can of black beans (rinsed and drained)
    1 can of corn (drained)/or 2 ears of cooked corn
    juice of 1 lime
    1 mango (cut into chunks - save the pit)
    cillantro (just a few sprigs-I usually cut with scissors)
    1/2 onion chopped
    1/2 red or orange pepper (or both) chopped
    jalapeno pepper (I remove seeds) finely chopped

toss everything but lime juice into a bowl and add a little salt. I take the lime juice and with my hands squeeze any leftover pulp from the mango and mix the two together to make a dressing for the salad. It gets better the longer it sits in the refrigerator. Sometimes I add chopped avocado to the mix as well.
  • hollychristine
    Options
    A really good cheap and filling salad...4-5 servings

1 can of black beans (rinsed and drained)
    1 can of corn (drained)/or 2 ears of cooked corn
    juice of 1 lime
    1 mango (cut into chunks - save the pit)
    cillantro (just a few sprigs-I usually cut with scissors)
    1/2 onion chopped
    1/2 red or orange pepper (or both) chopped
    jalapeno pepper (I remove seeds) finely chopped

toss everything but lime juice into a bowl and add a little salt. I take the lime juice and with my hands squeeze any leftover pulp from the mango and mix the two together to make a dressing for the salad. It gets better the longer it sits in the refrigerator. Sometimes I add chopped avocado to the mix as well.

OMG, I'm drooling just thinking about this one! Salads are one of my most favorite things in the world! Thanks!!!!
  • hollychristine
    Options
    What kind of recipes do you want? lol I've got tons :)

Hubbs is a vegan and I'm an OMGEATEVERYTHING-avore so I make vegan versions of classic Southern food mostly. Hubbs makes amazing Indian and Ethiopian food :love:

I love Indian food! I love the way my house smells after I cook with all those amazing spices! Some people find the araoma offensive, I love it and don't care. Never tried Ethiopian food, but I would love to experiment. I'm open to anything new, I'm trying to fill a binder as my own personal family cookbook. Our current family cookbook consists of mostly meat and since we are Polish...FAT. So I'd like to contribute in my own way. I have tons, but I'm always open to new stuff.
  • hollychristine
    Options
    I love beans and rice, but I don't know the recipe.. I kind of just wing it every time.
    Let's see..

2 cans black beans
    1 can stewed chopped tomatoes
    1 chopped onion
    1 tbsp garlic (that may be too much, it's hard to estimate on a computer!)
    1 tbsp canola oil
    salt to taste
    pepper to taste

So, cook the onions and garlic in a large pan until the onions are cooked all the way through. Add the beans and cook them on medium for... five or ten minutes until they are hot, and add the canned tomatoes until everything is cooked thouroughly. Beans done!

Cook brown rice according to instructions on box. I personally like it with brown rice a lot better! and you can eat it with the black beans. It's really easy to make and it tastes really good.

This is also good with a dab of light sour cream (:

I'm sorry I don't know the nutrition information either ><

Thanks. This is actually one of my most common meals! I add some jalepeno to kick it up a bit when I'm feeling spicy. I even put it in wraps. Yummy! I also mix in some salsa somettimes or if I'm low on my fat for the day I top it with low-fat cheese and even over tortilla chips if I'm craving nachos and feel like splurging. (Its a healthier version, good enough to pass for the real thing.)
  • tori_anne
    Options

Thanks. This is actually one of my most common meals! I add some jalepeno to kick it up a bit when I'm feeling spicy. I even put it in wraps. Yummy! I also mix in some salsa somettimes or if I'm low on my fat for the day I top it with low-fat cheese and even over tortilla chips if I'm craving nachos and feel like splurging. (Its a healthier version, good enough to pass for the real thing.)

Oh really haha?! I love it so much too! I do the exact same thing, with cheese or on tortilla chips. It tastes awesome!
  • dreadpiratedavis
    Options
    since my DW chimed in, i'll post a personal favorite of mine: Atar Alecha

-3-4 cups cooked split peas

- minced garlic (to taste)

- optional: diced carrot, chopped tomato, bell peppers or just mixed veggies

- quick "berbere" paste: mix 1 tbsp. curry pwdr. w/ 1 tbsp. chili pwdr; add 1/8 tsp. clove, ginger
    cinnamon, paprika & sweetener

*Cook split peas to a tender consistency, adding small amounts of water to achieve a thick stew.
    *Mash coarsely with a fork or potato masher.
    *Add optional veggies!
    *Prepare "berbere" paste as above and heat in saucepan to lightly sautee the spice mix.
    *Tip split pea/veggie mixture into pan and heat through while mixing.

Serve over rice,couscous, pita or other accompaniment of your choice.
  • hollychristine
    Options

- quick "berbere" paste: mix 1 tbsp. curry pwdr. w/ 1 tbsp. chili pwdr; add 1/8 tsp. clove, ginger

*Cook split peas to a tender consistency, adding small amounts of water to achieve a thick stew.
    *Add optional veggies!
    *Prepare "berbere" paste as above and heat in saucepan to lightly sautee the spice mix.

I am excited to try this! I'm adding it to my grocery list right now for next week. Thanks!
  • artnoren
    artnoren Posts: 54
    Options
    Go to vegsource.com. They have a very large number of vegetarian recipes.
  • mskellyw
    mskellyw Posts: 111
    Options

*Add optional veggies!

Yay! I love restaurant Ethiopian food, but have never found any berbere recipes that I really like. I'm excited to give this one a try--more curry and just tiny bits of clove and cinnamon sound about right. Thanks!
  • msarro
    msarro Posts: 2,748 Member
    Options
    Just an FYI, its usually much cheaper to buy dried beans either in bulk, or at discount stores. It's also healthier because there's less sodium. Usually a can of beans will cost around 1$, where a 1lb bag of dried beans will be approximately 96 cents (average around here). 2/3rd cup of dried beans equals a can of beans (usually) so normally you can get about 3 cans worth of beans out of one bag of dried beans. Cheaper, healthier. The only catch is you have to reconstitute the beans, which is as simple as putting them in a bowl of water to soak overnight.
  • andreasoulcastle
    andreasoulcastle Posts: 478 Member
    Options
    Hey there, I am not a vegetarian, but I do make this really good salad . I don't know if your sick of salads by now but it gives you a major slam in the mouth of flavor.

Cornucopia Salad With Citrus Vinaigrette

* SALAD:
    * 3 C torn romaine lettuce leaves
    * 1 tbsp chopped avocado
    * 3/4 C orange sections (i use mandarine oranges)
    * 1 tbsp chopped walnuts
    * 1 tbsp crumbled feta cheese
    * Dressing:
    * 1 tbsp freshly squeezed orange juice
    * 1 tsp lemon juice
    * 2 tbsp white vinegar (i also like rice vinegar sweeter)
    * 1/4 tsp mustard powder (i substitute dijon)
    * 1/4 tsp coarsely ground black pepper
    * 1 tbsp green onion
    * apple slices
    * 1 tbsp celery slices

Directions
    To prepare salad Combine lettuce, avocado, and orange in large bowl.
    To prepare dressing Place all dressing ingredients in container that seals tightly and shake well.
    Toss salad mixture with dressing. Top with walnuts and cheese.
    Click here to find out more!
    Nutritional Facts per serving
    CALORIES 199.4 CAL

FAT 8.6 G

SATURATED FAT 1.3 G

CHOLESTEROL 3.8 MG

SODIUM 84.6 MG

CARBOHYDRATES 27.1 G

TOTAL SUGARS 15.9 G

DIETARY FIBER 8.9 G

PROTEIN 7.2 G
  • hollychristine
    Options
    Hey there, I am not a vegetarian, but I do make this really good salad . I don't know if your sick of salads by now but it gives you a major slam in the mouth of flavor.

Cornucopia Salad With Citrus Vinaigrette

* SALAD:
    * 3 C torn romaine lettuce leaves
    * 1 tbsp chopped avocado
    * 3/4 C orange sections (i use mandarine oranges)
    * 1 tbsp chopped walnuts
    * 1 tbsp crumbled feta cheese
    * Dressing:
    * 1 tbsp freshly squeezed orange juice
    * 1 tsp lemon juice
    * 2 tbsp white vinegar (i also like rice vinegar sweeter)
    * 1/4 tsp mustard powder (i substitute dijon)
    * 1/4 tsp coarsely ground black pepper
    * 1 tbsp green onion
    * apple slices
    * 1 tbsp celery slices

Directions
    To prepare salad Combine lettuce, avocado, and orange in large bowl.
    To prepare dressing Place all dressing ingredients in container that seals tightly and shake well.
    Toss salad mixture with dressing. Top with walnuts and cheese.
    Click here to find out more!
    Nutritional Facts per serving
    CALORIES 199.4 CAL

FAT 8.6 G

SATURATED FAT 1.3 G

CHOLESTEROL 3.8 MG

SODIUM 84.6 MG

CARBOHYDRATES 27.1 G

TOTAL SUGARS 15.9 G

DIETARY FIBER 8.9 G

PROTEIN 7.2 G

That sounds good. I'm not sick of salads, actually I could live on soup, salad, and sandwiches if it was possible!!!!
    Thanks a bunch!
  • TheMaidOfAstolat
    TheMaidOfAstolat Posts: 3,222 Member
    Options
    bumping for later reading...everything sounds soooo good!