Carbs - A cautionary Tale

Options

Replies

• astroub
    astroub Posts: 289 Member
    Options
    Dear god...oh dear god...

So agree with you! Really 190,000 thousand years ago.... Really?!?!
  • livinginwoods
    livinginwoods Posts: 562 Member
    Options
    Yep I have read this too in a few magazines and a nutritionist told me this.
  • Mommyofseven
    Options
    People can talk all day about what caused a disorder and what helps or doesn't. The facts are not facts at all, just opinions based on various studies with widely different results. Alzheimer's type dementia is a devastating illness that cannot be fully confirmed until autopsy and is NOT curable. A lot of other illnesses mimic Alzheimer's. Metabolic disorders, vascular illness, Parkinson's... all of these have been misdiagnosed as early onset Alzheimer's.
    Regardless of what you are suffering from, good luck to you and your family. Spend time now with them writing your future healthcare and financial wishes down and ( if you normally take care of your household financials) sit down with your loved one and make a list of all your account numbers, passwords and bill needs so they are not left blind if you do not get better.
    This is not being morbid or uncaring. I just have seen too many families devastated by dementia who wish their loved one had done this for them before the illness completely took over.
    Again, good luck. I wish you well.
  • Chood5
    Chood5 Posts: 259 Member
    Options
    Going back through your food diary, I would not say you eat low carb. You eat over 150 carbs a day, sometimes in the 200's. I'm sorry to hear you have Alzheimer's, but I highly doubt carbohydrates are the cause.......
  • fieldsy4life
    Options
    I'm not going to go on a pro-Paleo or pro-Atkins crusade, but start reading medical journals - that's where I try to get most of my info from. Paleo is a healthy way to low-carb, because you're getting your nutrients from natural sources. But hey, to each their own.

If you truly are going through Alzheimers, my thoughts and prayers go out to you and your family. Good luck.
  • fatguyweightloss
    Options

Yeah cause all Paleo man ate a low carb diet, oh wait...

Eaton et al. Paleolithic nutrition revisited: A twelve-year retrospective on its nature and implications. European Journal of Clinical Nutrition (1997) 51, 207±216

http://www.direct-ms.org/pdf/EvolutionPaleolithic/Eaton Paleo Nutri Review EJCN.pdf

From your reference paleo man ate 205 grams of carbohydrates per day with an estimated 100 grams of fiber that makes 105 grams of carbs a day. For some this wouldn't be low carb but no where near the 300-400g the typical "modern" man is eating now.
  • fatguyweightloss
    Options
    I followed a low carb diet once, under 100g a day for almost 11 months and felt great. BUT my hair did thin quite a bit. That was the only draw back for me.

I followed a high carb diet for a year and my hair thinned as well...but I think that is because I got a year older...
  • Isolt
    Isolt Posts: 70
    Options
    I followed a high carb diet for a year and my hair thinned as well...but I think that is because I got a year older...

:bigsmile:

And I was on Weight Watchers the year Princess Diana died......thereby proving that the WW points system kills royals.
  • khagador
    khagador Posts: 175 Member
    Options

Eaton et al. Paleolithic nutrition revisited: A twelve-year retrospective on its nature and implications. European Journal of Clinical Nutrition (1997) 51, 207±216

http://www.direct-ms.org/pdf/EvolutionPaleolithic/Eaton Paleo Nutri Review EJCN.pdf

From your reference paleo man ate 205 grams of carbohydrates per day with an estimated 100 grams of fiber that makes 105 grams of carbs a day. For some this wouldn't be low carb but no where near the 300-400g the typical "modern" man is eating now.

Okay, but think about how many more total calories the modern man is eating now.
  • Acg67
    Acg67 Posts: 12,142 Member
    Options

They estimated a 3,000 kcal a day intake with 41% being cho = 1,230kcal from cho or 307.5g of cho. If you want to subtract out est. fiber intake you'd still get 203.5g of cho daily. Doubt you'd consider that low carb
  • fatguyweightloss
    Options

Okay, but think about how many more total calories the modern man is eating now.

Seems to be a relation there...
  • spectralmoon
    spectralmoon Posts: 1,230 Member
    Options
    Best wishes with your prognosis, sir.
  • SuffolkSally
    SuffolkSally Posts: 964 Member
    Options
    Let us know if eating more carbs reverses your Alzheimer's, if you remember.
    If you don't agree with what the op says then fine but there's no need to get nasty!
    What the ****? How is this nasty? I eat over 300g of carbs a day, and I think paleo is bull****...

What the hell is wrong with the people on these forums, attacking everyone saying they're rude and nasty all the damn time? Stop. It's ****ing annoying.

How the fu@k can you say "how is this nasty"........................did you not read the comment???? ( Let us know if eating more carbs reverses your Alzheimer's, if you remember )..........IF YOU REMEMBER.........!!!! There's the nasty comment!!!....duh!!!
  • specialk1875
    Options
    Low carb can also cause bone loss.. No nutrient should be cut below the recommended daily allowance or I would consider it a FAD diet. I hope others can learn from this. I am sorry you have to go through it.

A 'fad' diet that lasted 170,000 years?

Honestly....stop talking utter bull****
    Honestly...stop being an utter douche
  • callmeBAM
    callmeBAM Posts: 450 Member
    Options
    The OP had a Snickers bar for lunch Friday. Hope your high carb theory is correct!

Just looking at your food diary, you are really carb heavy and light on protein. I don't think any nutritionist would condone that.

That said, no one on here ever changes their belief system. So, all this talk is rather pointless.
  • tigersword
    tigersword Posts: 8,059 Member
    Options

How so? According to that paper, paleolithic man ate an estimated 3000 calories a day, compared with modern US intakes of 1700-2500 calories a day. People are actually eating less than the paleolithic era man did.
  • Chood5
    Chood5 Posts: 259 Member
    Options
    I followed a low carb diet once, under 100g a day for almost 11 months and felt great. BUT my hair did thin quite a bit. That was the only draw back for me.

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA
  • mmapags
    mmapags Posts: 8,934 Member
    Options

How so? According to that paper, paleolithic man ate an estimated 3000 calories a day, compared with modern US intakes of 1700-2500 calories a day. People are actually eating less than the paleolithic era man did.

First to the OP, so sorry for your health issues. I will keep you in my prayers. I'm truly hoping you will improve and be healthy again.

I follow a primal diet and I pretty much agree with tigersworld and Acg (I think it is as I can't scroll back that far) a Hunter Gatherer diet is not low carb by definition. It is controlled carb in that you are concious of total carbs but Hunter Gatherers ate all the fruit edible veggies and edible tubers they could get their hands on. The whole idea is not low carb, it's clean eating and eliminating processed foods, simple sugars and flours and grains and legumes that can cause inflammation. Let's not cloud the real issue with misinformation. This man thinks his symptoms are from low carb. I don't know what his problem is caused by but that seems like an oversimplification and I truly pray that he finds the right doctors to help. As we've all experienced, in the health care field there are great and talented people and there are the imcompetent and all the stops along the way.
  • callmeBAM
    callmeBAM Posts: 450 Member
    Options
    Going back through your food diary, I would not say you eat low carb. You eat over 150 carbs a day, sometimes in the 200's. I'm sorry to hear you have Alzheimer's, but I highly doubt carbohydrates are the cause.......

Yeah, I was looking through his food diary and if anything I would say it was too low in good fats! And since your brain is made of fat... no, no relation there right.
  • Acg67
    Acg67 Posts: 12,142 Member
    Options

Yeah, I was looking through his food diary and if anything I would say it was too low in good fats! And since your brain is made of fat... no, no relation there right.

What constitutes a good or bad fat?