Heart Surgeon Speaks Out On What Really Causes Heart Disease

Options
callmeBAM
callmeBAM Posts: 450 Member
Interested? Here is an excerpt, link to article below...

"The rest of us have simply followed the recommended mainstream diet that is low in fat and high in polyunsaturated fats and carbohydrates, not knowing we were causing repeated injury to our blood vessels. This repeated injury creates chronic inflammation leading to heart disease, stroke, diabetes and obesity.

What are the biggest culprits of chronic inflammation? Quite simply, they are the overload of simple, highly processed carbohydrates (sugar, flour and all the products made from them) and the excess consumption of omega-6 vegetable oils like soybean, corn and sunflower that are found in many processed foods.
"

http://www.sott.net/articles/show/242516-World-Renown-Heart-Surgeon-Speaks-Out-On-What-Really-Causes-Heart-Disease

Replies

• Annalisa419
    Annalisa419 Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    I just had a friend post this to Facebook. Very interesting! I'm glad I love fruits and veggies but it is a struggle for me to stay away from processed foods.
  • lizard053
    lizard053 Posts: 2,344 Member
    Options
    I've been hearing this for a number of years now! It's really the over-processing of foods that is rampant now that really causes a lot of the chronic health problems we are seeing.
  • secretlobster
    secretlobster Posts: 3,566 Member
    Options
    You would be an excellent candidate for primal/paleo lifestyle ... :)
  • Acg67
    Acg67 Posts: 12,142 Member
    Options
    quack.gif
  • UponThisRock
    UponThisRock Posts: 4,522 Member
    Options
    In other news: Car Mechanic Speaks Out On What Why My Wife is A Bad Driver
  • secretlobster
    secretlobster Posts: 3,566 Member
    Options
    In other news: Car Mechanic Speaks Out On What Why My Wife is A Bad Driver

It's because she's a woman
  • badgerbadger1
    badgerbadger1 Posts: 954 Member
    Options
    Yeah no.
  • crossfitterwahine
    crossfitterwahine Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    Good article!
  • jamesfit99
    Options
    Well, everyone is entitled to an opinion. And everyone is entitled to try and sell a book (like Dr. Lundell).

That said, what I find missing from this article are any references to peer reviewed medical studies, or any studies for that matter.

I'm certainly not pro processed foods, but to state that cholesterol isn't culpable with heart disease, and that a low fat diet is causative of heart disease, seems to fly in the face of accepted medical knowledge per peer reviewed studies.

Two diets (both high in carbs and very low in fat) are the Dean Ornish and Dr. Esselstyn diets. Both are very high in carbs and very low in fats. And both have peer reviewed studies to back up their claims of actually *reversing* heart disease. In fact, the Ornish diet as well as the Pritikin diet (similar) are both partially reimbursed by Medicare for example. Not because of their opinions, but because of the studies that show these diets can actually work.

Here's another discussion about Dr. Lundell and his diet on another forum. A number of interesting points are made:
    http://www.drmcdougall.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=28150

-- James
  • grinch031
    grinch031 Posts: 1,679
    Options
    Well, everyone is entitled to an opinion. And everyone is entitled to try and sell a book (like Dr. Lundell).

That said, what I find missing from this article are any references to peer reviewed medical studies, or any studies for that matter.

I'm certainly not pro processed foods, but to state that cholesterol isn't culpable with heart disease, and that a low fat diet is causative of heart disease, seems to fly in the face of accepted medical knowledge per peer reviewed studies.

Two diets (both high in carbs and very low in fat) are the Dean Ornish and Dr. Esselstyn diets. Both are very high in carbs and very low in fats. And both have peer reviewed studies to back up their claims of actually *reversing* heart disease. In fact, the Ornish diet as well as the Pritikin diet (similar) are both partially reimbursed by Medicare for example. Not because of their opinions, but because of the studies that show these diets can actually work.

Here's another discussion about Dr. Lundell and his diet on another forum. A number of interesting points are made:
    http://www.drmcdougall.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=28150

-- James

Even though Dr. Lundell has credibility problems, there is science to back up his claims. Most of the research that blamed dietary fat and cholesterol for cardiovascular disease is stemmed back to the lipid hypothesis BS from the 50s. There are newer studies showing that refined carbs have a more negative effect on cardiovascular disease than saturated fat or cholesterol. One example is the study below, and there are more studies that will say the same thing.

http://www.njmonline.nl/getpdf.php?t=a&id=10000756
  • jamesfit99
    Options
    The study you cite was based on a diet of over 30% fat, not on the <10% low fat, high carb diet promoted by Drs. Essenstyn, Ornish and McDougall

Here's one of the Ornish studies that literally goes to the heart of the matter (pun intended:) ie it actually measures the growth or reduction of coronary plaque in the Ornish group (high carb, very low fat diet) versus the control.

And this isn't "BS from the 50s" as you suggest, but science. And yes, Dr. Lundall does have credibility problems for anyone willing to dig a little.

http://jama.ama-assn.org/content/280/23/2001.full

-- James
  • axelfsig
    axelfsig Posts: 1
    Options
    Dr. Lundell´s article has received phenomenal attention and it has caught the eye of news media. It touches on a number of important issues concerning cardiovascular disease in general. To me the article unfortunately appears a bit like it is written by a preacher or a politician who has to sell a message whatever the costs. The article lacks the professional approach of a scientist who carefully examines available scientific data before drawing conclusions.

Please visit my blog at
    http://www.docsopinion.com/2012/03/what-is-it-that-really-causes-heart.html
  • 1HappyRosie
    1HappyRosie Posts: 80 Member
    Options
    bump great reading thank you
  • itgeekwoman
    itgeekwoman Posts: 804 Member
    Options
    I have totally cut out processed foods and am eating naturally. I feel more satisfied, there is more flavor and I am losing weight very quickly. I'm also Gluten free and non dairy (except feta and mozarella cheese 3x a week). Almond milk is my standard now.

The rough part is going to the grocery store 3-4x a week to pick up fresh healthy fruit and vegetables. I eat nuts and berries, fish and chicken. It's easy, clean and healthy!!
    Oh i'm off my blood pressure drugs now. No more issues there.

My food diary is open if you want to see what I eat. I haven't weighed in for 1 month, but I'm down at least 6 inches in the last 2 weeks.
  • Kim_08
    Kim_08 Posts: 157
    Options
    bump
  • jamesfit99
    Options
    Previous Poster: Dr. Lundell´s article has received phenomenal attention and it has caught the eye of news media. It touches on a number of important issues concerning cardiovascular disease in general. To me the article unfortunately appears a bit like it is written by a preacher or a politician who has to sell a message whatever the costs. The article lacks the professional approach of a scientist who carefully examines available scientific data before drawing conclusions.

Actually, sounds more like something written by a PR firm to sell a book. Here is what Quack Watch.org has to say about Dr. Lundell

http://www.quackwatch.org/11Ind/lundell.html
  • jessiepilot
    Options
    Primal avoids all that crap - love it!
  • callmeBAM
    callmeBAM Posts: 450 Member
    Options
    quack.gif

Your oratory skills are truly mesmerizing.
  • BrianSharpe
    BrianSharpe Posts: 9,248 Member
    Options

http://www.quackpotwatch.org/quackpots/quackpots/barrett.htm

Thanks, that was one of the funniest things I've read in ages! (you may want to look into the so-called consumer advocate that published this comedy)