Oh No!!! A Plateau!!!

Options
I've hit a plateau! I'm stuck at 160, and I am so close to my goal of 145-150. I have been doing the Jillian Michaels 30 day shred. I really enjoy her as a "trainer". After the first time around I started over and have been changing levels every 10 days. Is it possible that my body has gotten used to ALL 3 levels now?? I'm on level 2 for the third time, about to go to level 3 in a few days. Does anyone know any other good workout videos or anything that might make a difference, with the same or higher level of intensity, and not too much equipment needed?
Please Help! I've been at 160 for 3 weeks now! Very frustrating...

Replies

• therealangd
    therealangd Posts: 1,861 Member
    Options
    90% of the time a plateau is caused by diet.

You have less than 20lbs to lose. You need to set MFP to 1lb or .5 lb.

Eat more. :)
  • melsinct
    melsinct Posts: 3,512 Member
    Options

I agree with this. My first plateau (lasted 2 months) I upped my calories for a 0.5 lb/week loss with 15 pounds left to go. My second plateau lasted FOUR months and I was only 2 pounds from my goal (I finally just got through it). I was doing everything right, eating enough quality calories, I then tried other methods MFP people preach (zig zagging, spike days, upping workouts, you name it, I tried it). In the end, I just said forget it and kept doing what I was doing. Eventually the plateau just broke on its own, no rhyme or reason.

Sometimes plateaus can be easily broken by diet but I don't believe that this is always the case. In any event, I can truly sympathize!
  • Chameleone
    Chameleone Posts: 281 Member
    Options
    Thank You! I will try that. Hopefully it makes a difference. Thanks for the help!
  • JacksMom12
    JacksMom12 Posts: 1,044 Member
    Options
    If you like 30 day shred so much, try ripped in 30. Same style just a little harder..4 levels instead of 3.
  • SafireBleu
    SafireBleu Posts: 881 Member
    Options
    Also Banish Fat boost metabolism by Jillian Michaels is good. You can try that one as well. I'm working through Ripped in 30 now and have Banish Fat waiting for me. My friend has lost tons of inches on Banish Fat.
  • Chameleone
    Chameleone Posts: 281 Member
    Options
    I just finished Ripped in 30. It was awesome. I found it a bit more intense than 30 day shred, which is a good thing, Helps with the progress.
    And I've been looking for the Banish fat one. I saw it in a store once, didn't buy it and haven't seen it since =(. But I'm going to go on a mission to find it!
  • csm1342
    csm1342 Posts: 21
    Options
    I hit a plateau about 3 weeks ago so I took a day off the shred and did a long slow jog, drank more water, and varied my diet not eating more or less but just different stuff with more fiber.
  • douglasmobbs
    douglasmobbs Posts: 563 Member
    Options

Eat more is such a rubbish reply. No info was put about diet there. Also if eating more helps you reduce weight I would be a skeleton as I was eating way more than I should for the majority of my life.
  • Rjdj3530
    Rjdj3530 Posts: 154
    Options
    I agree that it's probably not the exercise but the diet. You may need to shock the system with a change in diet for a little while. That's what I am doing right now. I am doing high protein, low carb with a cheat night every 4 or 5 days.
  • douglasmobbs
    Options
    It could also be that the high level of exercise is putting on muscle as fast as the fat is going.

Look at a few more signs than just the scale, have you been taking measurements either inches or body fat %age?
  • ladyraven68
    ladyraven68 Posts: 2,003 Member
    Options

Eat more is such a rubbish reply. No info was put about diet there. Also if eating more helps you reduce weight I would be a skeleton as I was eating way more than I should for the majority of my life.

Eating more to aim for a 0.5lb was actually a very sensible reply - The last few founds are the hardest to shift, and then you have to go to maintenance. It's better to creep towards maintenence by slowly lowering your defict by increasing your calories than to suddenly add 500 or 1000 calories the day you hit goal.
  • douglasmobbs
    Options
    Where was it said how much the OP was eating.
  • ladyraven68
    ladyraven68 Posts: 2,003 Member
    Options
    Where was it said how much the OP was eating.

It didn't , but you will find that many people struggling to lose the last few pounds haven't changed their goal to 0.5lb per week, which is most sensible at that stage as 1 or 2 lb is too high a percentage.

Not every request for advice gives every bit of information needed to provide help, so sometimes people need to read between the lines and make assumptions.

Just as it didn't say she was strength training, but you replied that she had gained muscle.
  • cclamar8
    cclamar8 Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    I agree! I just got through my plateau by upping my calories! Have you thought about trying P90X or insanity? I've been doing P90X for the last two months and I've lost 15.6 pounds! I love the program!
  • LesleeAH
    LesleeAH Posts: 64
    Options
    3 weeks is not a plateau.