Carbs - A cautionary Tale

Options

Replies

• Chood5
    Chood5 Posts: 259 Member
    Options
    Going back through your food diary, I would not say you eat low carb. You eat over 150 carbs a day, sometimes in the 200's. I'm sorry to hear you have Alzheimer's, but I highly doubt carbohydrates are the cause.......

Yeah, I was looking through his food diary and if anything I would say it was too low in good fats! And since your brain is made of fat... no, no relation there right.

What constitutes a good or bad fat?

I hear trans fats are good for ya! :happy:
  • bluebird321
    bluebird321 Posts: 733 Member
    Options
    I've been on a low carb diet for a year and my memory and thought processes are better than ever, but maybe it's because of other things i've eliminated from my diet?

I recommend referencing Dr. Larry McCleary M.D. for more information on diet and Alzheimers.

Good luck with your prognosis.
  • hbunting86
    hbunting86 Posts: 952 Member
    Options
    Alzheimers, as opposed to other dementias (dementia is an umbrella term covering a number of conditions of cognitive decline and impairment) is marked specifically by the presence of amyloid plaques neurofibrillary tangles. The only way to 'specifically' diagnose Alzheimers in contrast to other dementias is actually post-mortem.

Early onset dementia is particularly marked by gene expression - so attributing diet to this, and specifically low carbohydrate levels seems pretty illogical.

Many things are related to cognitive decline and impairment - even transitory phases of such. I assume your GP as taken into account assessments of stress or depression. Diabetes can also affect cognitive function, so try not to worry too much - there may be a different underlying source.

Good luck and don't worry about carbs :)
  • suziecue66
    suziecue66 Posts: 1,312 Member
    Options
    Do try coconut oil. this doctor put her husband on it:
    https://talesfromthelou.wordpress.com/2012/02/03/physician-prescribes-coconut-oil-and-successfully-cures-alzheimers-disease-before-its-news/

"Dr. Newport, a physician who runs a neonatology ward in a Florida hospital, became determined to help her husband after he was diagnosed with Alzheimer’s disease. The report hosted on CBN.com stated that “insulin problems prevent brain cells from accepting glucose, their primary fuel…there is an alternative fuel, ketones which the cells easily accept. Ketones are metabolized in the liver after you eat medium chain triglycerides which are found in coconut oil.”
  • Brookhaven64
    Brookhaven64 Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    First, let me say I hope your life will improve daily. I had never heard that too low of cards would affect the memory. I have done the Atkins diet and just believed that the fewer carbs the better off I would be. After reading this I will add more carbs into my diet plan. Thank you for sharing the information.
  • suziecue66
    Options
    http://www.healthy-eating-politics.com/support-files/ejim01.pdf
    "Alzheimer's disease is a devastating disease whose recent increase in incidence rates has broad implications for rising health care costs. Huge amounts of research money are currently being invested in seeking the underlying cause, with corresponding progress in understanding the disease progression. In this paper, we highlight how an excess of dietary carbohydrates, particularly fructose, alongside a relative deficiency in dietary fats and cholesterol, may lead to the development of Alzheimer's disease. A first step in the pathophysiology of the disease is represented by advanced glycation end-products in crucial plasma proteins concerned with fat, cholesterol, and oxygen transport. This leads to cholesterol deficiency in neurons, which significantly impairs their ability to function. Over time, a cascade response leads to impaired glutamate signaling, increased oxidative damage, mitochondrial and lysosomal dysfunction, increased risk to microbial infection, and, ultimately, apoptosis. Other neurodegenerative diseases share many properties with Alzheimer's disease, and may also be due in large part to this same underlying cause.
    © 2011 European Federation of Internal Medicine. Published by Elsevier B.V. All rights reserved."
  • tigersword
    tigersword Posts: 8,059 Member
    Options
    https://talesfromthelou.wordpress.com/2012/02/03/physician-prescribes-coconut-oil-and-successfully-cures-alzheimers-disease-before-its-news/

"Dr. Newport, a physician who runs a neonatology ward in a Florida hospital, became determined to help her husband after he was diagnosed with Alzheimer’s disease. The report hosted on CBN.com stated that “insulin problems prevent brain cells from accepting glucose, their primary fuel…there is an alternative fuel, ketones which the cells easily accept. Ketones are metabolized in the liver after you eat medium chain triglycerides which are found in coconut oil.”

Ketones are only created when glycogen is depleted. The type of fat you eat doesn't matter, ketones are a byproduct of being in ketosis, they aren't made just by eating coconut oil. Plus the brain doesn't use ketones for energy until after at least 48 hours of being in a ketogenic state.
  • suziecue66
    Options

Ketones are only created when glycogen is depleted. The type of fat you eat doesn't matter, ketones are a byproduct of being in ketosis, they aren't made just by eating coconut oil. Plus the brain doesn't use ketones for energy until after at least 48 hours of being in a ketogenic state.

Coconut oil is different.

Most dietary fat is made of molecules called long-chain triglycerides (LCTs). However, medium-chain triglycerides (MCTs)—made from fatty acids with shorter carbon chains than LCTs—are more ketogenic. A variant of the classic diet known as the MCT ketogenic diet uses a form of coconut oil, which is rich in MCTs, to provide around half the calories. As less overall fat is needed in this variant of the diet, a greater proportion of carbohydrate and protein can be consumed, allowing a greater variety of food choices.[2][3]
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ketogenic_diet
  • tigersword
    Options
    Not really. It's a healthy oil, but it doesn't change human biology. It doesn't magically put the body into ketosis, and it doesn't magically make the brain start using ketones. That's not how it works. Besides, coconut oil isn't unique in its composition of fatty acids, they are all found in multiple other sources.

Coconut oil is pretty much modern day snake oil. It's good for you, but it isn't a miracle cure.

And quoting an article on the ketogenic diet pretty much proves my point doesn't it? Coconut oil is more ketogenic if you're in ketosis, but if you aren't in a ketogenic state, it doesn't make a difference.
  • suziecue66
    Options
    Not really. It's a healthy oil, but it doesn't change human biology. It doesn't magically put the body into ketosis, and it doesn't magically make the brain start using ketones. That's not how it works. Besides, coconut oil isn't unique in its composition of fatty acids, they are all found in multiple other sources.

Coconut oil is pretty much modern day snake oil. It's good for you, but it isn't a miracle cure.

disagree it's snake oil. Did you read the link above re MCT.
  • tigersword
    Options

disagree it's snake oil. Did you read the link above re MCT.

You do know that coconut oil is not the only source of medium chain triglycerides, right? For example, butter is also a great source. Like I said, it isn't magic, it's just another option.

Also, linking to a website called "coconutketones" should be your first red flag on the legitimacy, as she's obviously peddling her book. Not what I would call a scientifically unbiased source.
  • suziecue66
    Options
    Another link:
    http://perfecthealthdiet.com/?p=2479
    "So we have three ways to make the diet ketogenic:

1)      Make Wilder’s “ketogenic ratio” high by eating a lot of fat, very few carbs, and not too much protein.

2)      Supplement with the ketogenic amino acids lysine and leucine.

3)      Supplement with coconut oil or another source of short-chain fats.

If we do (2) or (3), then the diet can be ketogenic even if it has a fair number of carbs.

So now we have an arsenal of ways to generate ketones. We have to look at diseases and diet risks to figure out which way of making the diet ketogenic is optimal."
  • lunglady
    lunglady Posts: 526 Member
    Options
    I was going to say something sensible, but nevermind. Sigh.
  • tigersword
    Options
    Another link:
    http://perfecthealthdiet.com/?p=2479
    "So we have three ways to make the diet ketogenic:

1)      Make Wilder’s “ketogenic ratio” high by eating a lot of fat, very few carbs, and not too much protein.

2)      Supplement with the ketogenic amino acids lysine and leucine.

3)      Supplement with coconut oil or another source of short-chain fats.

If we do (2) or (3), then the diet can be ketogenic even if it has a fair number of carbs.

So now we have an arsenal of ways to generate ketones. We have to look at diseases and diet risks to figure out which way of making the diet ketogenic is optimal."
    If you're eating a fair number of carbs, your brain is running on glucose, not ketones, even if the rest of your body is ketogenic. Ketogenic means you have no stored glycogen (that is what causes ketosis.) You have no stored glycogen because all the glucose you are eating is being used by the brain.

Where do you think those carbs go? Do they magically disappear? Does the coconut oil magically erase them?

How about a link to a scientifically controlled study?
  • islandjumper
    islandjumper Posts: 369 Member
    Options
    Ahh so you think you have early onset Alzheimer's and naturally came to the conclusion it must be your low-carb diet.

It's quite amazing that our species even managed to survive this long really isn't it....what with them living for 190,000 years on a hunter/gatherer diet and only the last 10,000 years with the agrarian culture that allows high carb intakes. Yup, your Altzheimer's *must* be down to a low-carb diet :laugh:

Yeah cause all Paleo man ate a low carb diet, oh wait...

Eaton et al. Paleolithic nutrition revisited: A twelve-year retrospective on its nature and implications. European Journal of Clinical Nutrition (1997) 51, 207±216

http://www.direct-ms.org/pdf/EvolutionPaleolithic/Eaton Paleo Nutri Review EJCN.pdf

^^^ this

hunter gatherer does not equal carnivore...try going out into the wilderness and catch/gather all your own food...it's far more likely you'll be eating fruits and veggies than just meat...and fruits and veggies are (wait for it) Carbs!

I don't have a good vs. bad opinion about the low carb diet, but I do think cutting out any one macro isn't the best thing to do...it's more about making better choices and moderation.
  • _Ben
    _Ben Posts: 1,608 Member
    Options
    Alright everyone, for the time being, this thread is being locked. I will be reviewing it. Please remember that disagreeing with someone's opinions is fine, but do so respectfully. Warnings, blocks, and other disciplinary actions will be taken if necessary
  • _Ben
    _Ben Posts: 1,608 Member
    Options
    Dear posters,
    After some cleaning, this thread has been reopened. Please remember to be civil and polite when disagreeing with one another, no use for name calling, swearing, or general attacking.

Thank you for your cooperation, and enjoy your stay on MyFitnessPal

_Ben
    MyFitnessPal Forum Moderator
  • jeff261159
    jeff261159 Posts: 385
    Options
    This is not self diagnosis, my GP discussed my diet with me and mentioned about carbs in my diet. Most days I have been eating less than 75g. HE said that this could have caused damage to my body over the past 18 months and has said that there is a link between carbs and brain activity. If I was going to self diagnose it woould be something a lttle more pleasant thant alzheimers, and something that wasnt going to cost me my HGV licence and in turn my job!!
  • jeff261159
    jeff261159 Posts: 385
    Options
    thank you, from all the replies to my post, yours is probably the most reasonable. I am now awaiting an appointment with a consultant neurologist and will go from there. Havent booked a place in the nursing home just yet!!